Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 01:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

HELP...!!! Cant Open RAW image

ohaven
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jan 26, 2013 01:01 |  #1

Hi,

i have recently upgrade to Canon 6D, and have photoshop CS5 installed onto my laptop.
however, when i try to open and edit the Raw image from 6D, it cant be open !!!

Can anyone experience or have problem like this ?
and what can i do about it ??

Plz help !!!!
Thanks so much !!!

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jan 26, 2013 01:25 |  #2

You need to update your Adobe Camera Raw plug in...

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

110yd
756 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Jan 26, 2013 01:28 |  #3

ohaven wrote in post #15535047external link
Hi,

i have recently upgrade to Canon 6D, and have photoshop CS5 installed onto my laptop.
however, when i try to open and edit the Raw image from 6D, it cant be open !!!

Can anyone experience or have problem like this ?
and what can i do about it ??

Plz help !!!!
Thanks so much !!!

Quick guess is that the 6D is new and not supported with CS5. Either you upgrade to CS6 or get Lightroom 4 to get the camera raw converter that will process your photos.

http://blogs.adobe.com ...er-7-3-now-available.htmlexternal link

Another option would be to use DNG
http://blogs.adobe.com ...-my-camera.html#legacydngexternal link

Hope this helps,

110yd

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Jan 26, 2013 03:29 |  #4

I believe that the 60D support was added for Camera Raw 6.2, which is supported with CS5 -- you will need to update using Bridge/Updates...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Jan 26, 2013 03:43 |  #5

tonylong wrote in post #15535254external link
I believe that the 60D support was added for Camera Raw 6.2, which is supported with CS5 -- you will need to update using Bridge/Updates...

He has a 6D not a 60D, so it may not be supported (yet).

GEAR LIST

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Jan 26, 2013 03:56 |  #6

Josh_30 wrote in post #15535272external link
He has a 6D not a 60D, so it may not be supported (yet).

Well, dang, so much for me and my diagnostics!

So, either update to CS6, or to Lightroom 4.x (or another app that supports the 6D) or to the Adobe DNG if one supports the 6D...

In the meantime use the Canon Raw processor Canon Digital Professional (DPP) to get a good quick rendering of your Raw files with good conversion options!!

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

ohaven
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jan 27, 2013 02:22 |  #7

thanks so much Guys!! it's helpful!!!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Salisbury, UK.
Jan 27, 2013 10:04 |  #8

110yd wrote in post #15535089external link
Quick guess is that the 6D is new and not supported with CS5. Either you upgrade to CS6 or get Lightroom 4 to get the camera raw converter that will process your photos.
110yd

Or use DPP which Canon provide to convert your Raws into something CS5 does understand. That is why Canon supply it on the CD.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan 27, 2013 11:02 |  #9

Quick question: I do everything in Lightroom. If I have Lightroom 4 and a 6D, would I be able to render the images in LR4 and then do spot edits and the like in CS5 or would I need to upgrade to CS6 also?

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 27, 2013 16:36 |  #10

LR4 with CS5 should be fine. The latest update should be compatible with the 6D.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan 27, 2013 16:36 |  #11

BigAl007 wrote in post #15540747external link
LR4 with CS5 should be fine. The latest update should be compatible with the 6D.

Alan

Awesome! Thanks. That's what I figured, but I was just checking.

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Jan 27, 2013 20:13 |  #12

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #15539681external link
Quick question: I do everything in Lightroom. If I have Lightroom 4 and a 6D, would I be able to render the images in LR4 and then do spot edits and the like in CS5 or would I need to upgrade to CS6 also?

As has been said, you can use LR4 with CS5, do an "Edit In Photoshop and the edited image will open as a tiff or a psd (according to the Preferences that you set).

One "gotcha" is that by default certain functions will not be available in the Edit In dropdown list.

You can change that by upgrading the CS5 Camera Raw to version 6.7.0.339. This is not an "Automatic Upgrade", you have to download and install it, but it will enable better "handshaking" between LR and CS5.

Tony

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Jan 27, 2013 21:16 as a reply to tonylong's post |  #13

The problem is that when a new camera (with a new RAW file type) is released Adobe only update the current version of Photoshop, PS Elements and Lightroom. When the 6D was released Adobe were on version 6 of PhotoshopCS so they will update that to to read the new files, but won't issue an update for v5, 4, 3 etc.

In addition to the solutions mentioned above (buy an upgrade for PS, buy Lightroom or use Canon DPP) you can also use a special program that Adobe issue free of charge - called Adobe DNG converter for windowsexternal link or for Macexternal link. This program will convert 6D RAW files to DNG format which CS5 can handle.

Having said that I would also suggest that you at least download the 30 trial of Lightroom 4. The RAW processing engine in LR4 (and CS6) has seen some major improvements over the earlier ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) that is in your version of Photoshop CS.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ohaven
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jan 30, 2013 22:52 |  #14

Dan Marchant wrote in post #15541689external link
The problem is that when a new camera (with a new RAW file type) is released Adobe only update the current version of Photoshop, PS Elements and Lightroom. When the 6D was released Adobe were on version 6 of PhotoshopCS so they will update that to to read the new files, but won't issue an update for v5, 4, 3 etc.

In addition to the solutions mentioned above (buy an upgrade for PS, buy Lightroom or use Canon DPP) you can also use a special program that Adobe issue free of charge - called Adobe DNG converter for windowsexternal link or for Macexternal link. This program will convert 6D RAW files to DNG format which CS5 can handle.

Having said that I would also suggest that you at least download the 30 trial of Lightroom 4. The RAW processing engine in LR4 (and CS6) has seen some major improvements over the earlier ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) that is in your version of Photoshop CS.

thanks so much!! it's helpful to me !!!! ^.^

sponsored links

3,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
HELP...!!! Cant Open RAW image
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.