Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Performing Arts
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th of May 2006 (Sat)   #1
houghty

Default First few concert shots

Hello,

I thought I would share a few of my first concert shots. The first set are of James Blunt in concert in Sydney last month. The other shots were taken in Byron Bay a week later at a music festival.

They were all taken with my Canon 20D and 70-200 2.8 IS. They were all shot handheld, wide open at ISO1600 so that I could get the fastest shutter speed possible.

Its been the first opportunity for me to take pics like these in a live performance environment where I've actually been close enough to reasonably fill the frame.

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I'm going to another concert next month and am keen to get some reasonable shots if possible as they're one of my favourite bands.

I'll provide a few of my own thoughts on each photos.

James Blunt #1

1/200th sec. Could be sharper, and it could do with a little more room at the top, but I quite like his stance in this one. Minor post processing on colour balance. No cropping.

James Blunt #2

1/125th sec. Sharper than #1. May have worked better on portrait. Minor post processing on colour balance. No cropping.

James Blunt #3

1/25th sec. Taken with my 1.4x TC. The jpeg version of this one was a little blown on his hand and face, but I had the RAW image so was able to pull back some of the blown hightlights to some extent. Maybe should take more care to meter on the face next time in black background situations.

James Blunt #4

1/160th sec. Picked this as it was one of the sharper ones. Minor PP again, no cropping.

James Blunt #5

1/20th sec, with the 1.4x TC. This is of one of his band members. It's a little too soft for my liking, which is a shame since I really liked the photo otherwise.

Beth Orton #6

1/320th sec. I was able to get reasonably close here. Reasonably sharp, and I like the streaky background lighting in this one, but the side of her arm is blown. Same pitfall as in James Blunt #3 where I needed to perhaps be more careful with metering. No cropping or PP.

Hot House Flowers #7

1/500th sec. First I've seen of the Hot House Flowers, but I was able to get close to the front, so decided to practice shooting anyway. I like this one as it has all 3 guitarists in frame, concentrating intensely. Maybe a bit underexposed, and could be sharper. No cropping or PP.

Hot House Flowers #8

1/200th sec. Pleased with the sharpness here. I was practically front row at this point as it was towards the end of the set and people were starting to move on to the next acts. No cropping or PP.

That's it.

Regards,
Houghty.
houghty is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member