Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds
Thread started 10 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 08:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Birds w/ 200mm or less

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Feb 12, 2013 06:26 |  #46

Superb!

dioladetus wrote in post #15600819 (external link)
200 f/2 on FF
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,972 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 12, 2013 11:40 |  #47

GrantYoung wrote in post #15601167external link
I'm confused on your withdrawal to be quite honest. This thread is seriously the most level playing field possible. 90% of the shots are going to be done with a 70-200 2.8 and 4 or a 200 prime. Canon offers a 55-250 as a kit lens that doesn't do too terribly bad, I shot it for years. No zoom lens is "suboptimal" for this thread if you make a good frame.

Mr. Young, your confusion would vanish if you saw the two photos I removed. I don't want to have the blurriest birds in the thread. Apparently these people use telephoto lenses. All I have is a G15 with the built-in zoom. I don't even know what the numbers in "70-200" refer to. So carry on.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

GrantYoung
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Feb 12, 2013 12:15 |  #48

OhLook wrote in post #15602096external link
Mr. Young, your confusion would vanish if you saw the two photos I removed. I don't want to have the blurriest birds in the thread. Apparently these people use telephoto lenses. All I have is a G15 with the built-in zoom. I don't even know what the numbers in "70-200" refer to. So carry on.

Begin with asking questions, I wouldn't admit defeat simply by feeling yours are not comparable. We don't come here just to show off, we are hear to help as well.

nardes
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Feb 12, 2013 12:31 |  #49

Here’s my closest bird shoot so far. Taken with a Canon 40D and Canon 17-40mm F4 L; a pair of Crested Pigeons.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009
by a river in southern colorado
Feb 12, 2013 13:02 |  #50

you must be made of suet Dennis lol nice detail in the birds and i like that it looks like the birds stopped by and had some hair and make up done before your shoot, and wow that is really close for the 17-40 very nice capture!

and ohlook yeah we didnt all start out taking amazing photos or even good ones, a lot of us came here to these forums and learned from others and through proper practice and help from the other photogs here have learned to get better and use our equipment (what ever that may be and that g15 is no slouch so you have no worries there.) to the best of its and our ability.

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Post has been edited 3 months ago by scriveyn with reason 'images re-hosted'.
Feb 12, 2013 13:56 |  #51

OhLook wrote in post #15602096 (external link)
... All I have is a G15 with the built-in zoom. ...

OhLook, your G15* is technically much more advanced than the G5, of which I posted pictures on page 1 of this thread. - People have taken excellent photos for over a century with little more than a wooden box and a lens. It's you that makes the picture. Take heart!

(* the G15 has an equivalent of 28-140mm zoom)

This one was taken at fairly close range:

HOSTED PHOTO

... and these not much further:

HOSTED PHOTO

1 image still to be restored: POTN_IMG_2199.jpg

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

bluesydude
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Alabama
Feb 12, 2013 14:08 as a reply to scriveyn's post |  #52

This was taken with my Sigma 105mm Macro lens.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7728953284_834765a851_c.jpg

1/1600 ƒ/4.5 ISO 100 105 mm

Focused on photography

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,972 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 12, 2013 15:20 |  #53

GrantYoung wrote in post #15602208external link
Begin with asking questions, I wouldn't admit defeat simply by feeling yours are not comparable.

First question: What does "70/200" mean? What is being measured? Do big numbers mean more clarity in faraway subjects?

scriveyn wrote in post #15602588external link
OhLook, your G15* is technically much more advanced than the G5, of which I posted pictures on page 1 of this thread. . . . It's you that makes the picture.

Hmm, that's even worse news. If this camera is so great and the photos aren't, and the rest of the responsbility lies with me, then . . .

(* the G15 has an equivalent of 28-140mm zoom)

Including digital, or just optical?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Feb 12, 2013 15:49 |  #54

OhLook wrote in post #15602909external link
First question: What does "70/200" mean? What is being measured? Do big numbers mean more clarity in faraway subjects?

70mm to 200mm zoom; everything in between. It's the focal length of the lens. The bigger the number, the closer it brings your subject.

Your 28mm to 140mm is optical. 28 is wide angle. More for landscapes, indoors, and such. The more you zoom toward 140, the better it is for portraits (without distortion), critters, and so on, because it makes the subject appear closer.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009
by a river in southern colorado
Feb 12, 2013 17:57 |  #55

OhLook wrote in post #15602909external link

Hmm, that's even worse news. If this camera is so great and the photos aren't, and the rest of the responsbility lies with me, then . . .

the post above me covered most of this but here is what i can add. no of the people on this forum was born with a camera or the know how to use it, you just need to take some time to really learn the functions of the camera and begin to practice the rules of photography (well ok suggestions but you cannot break them until you know how to use them) here is a book that i recommend highly to help you with your journey well ok a few books :)

the first is by bryan peterson (some of it might not apply if you have no interest in using the cameras manual or semi manual modes but the theory applies)
http://www.amazon.com ...1&keywords=bryan+pe​tersonexternal link

next up is a 4 part series that i think will offer loads of helpful tips
http://www.amazon.com ...=1-1&keywords=scott+kelbyexternal link

and last but not least a good book on all the functions your g15 has to offer

i really enjoy david busch's style of writing and thing this will help you to understand your camera better and give you the tools to better you that little power house to your advantage
http://www.amazon.com ...sr=1-1&keywords=canon+g15external link

you just have to learn to properly practice at photography you can do it wrong all day long and at the end of the day be no closer to better then you were the day before that is why its important to learn proper ways to practice :) we are all here for the same reasons yes, it is true some are more advance then others but everyone here is more then willing to help you out and do what we can to help you improve your photography and help you get to a place where you begin to enjoy it and not think of it as a comparison or as not fun.

cheers to better days!

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

N.V.M.
Goldmember
2,172 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010
North Vancouver,Canada
Feb 12, 2013 19:11 as a reply to S.n.a.f.u.'s post |  #56

i had my EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM on when i snapped this guy.

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Calcutta, India
Feb 12, 2013 19:19 as a reply to N.V.M.'s post |  #57

Love the spirit of the thread and some incredible shots already. Here is mine taken with a Tamron 90 mm macro lens on 450D. That was my only option when I saw this juvenile Changeable Hawk Eagle in low light. The other option was a non IS 400 F5.6 on 7D but since light was really low I chose the smaller and lighter lens for a shake free image.

HOSTED PHOTO

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Levina de Ruijter with reason 'Fixed broken links.'.
Feb 12, 2013 19:55 |  #58

Talk about a humble lens! For the first 1,5 year I shot with the 40D and the humblest of telelenses, the Tamron 55-200mm. A great little lens, although I needed to work real hard to get it to perform well.

A few shots that I'm still very fond of...

House Sparrow, fledgling.

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/127/84/03/17868403.9da8e343.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/288477/17868403] (external link)

Herring Gull

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/126/30/07/16693007.8e37b903.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/288477/16693007] (external link)

Blackheaded Gull

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/126/32/45/16693245.1b588f40.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/288477/16693245] (external link)

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/126/26/91/16692691.7f231e6a.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/288477/16692691] (external link)

Man, I've shot a lot of gulls back then...

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

eplingphoto
26 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Feb 12, 2013 20:09 |  #59

Canon t2i and 85mm

Newport Aquarium

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

---------------
5D Mark III - 60D - 40D IR - Canon 70-200L - Canon 50 1.4 - Canon 85L - Canon 24-105

N.V.M.
Goldmember
2,172 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010
North Vancouver,Canada
Feb 12, 2013 20:27 as a reply to eplingphoto's post |  #60

one with my 70-200 2.8 L:

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

sponsored links

73,064 views & 60 likes for this thread
Birds w/ 200mm or less
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.