Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 20 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 19:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What to charge your Boss?

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Raleigh, NC
Feb 21, 2013 08:38 |  #16

RDKirk wrote in post #15634801external link
I'm sorry, but this is the "Business of Photography" forum. We're not talking about taking happy snaps of fellow employees at the company picnic for the internal website. We're dealing with a business for a product product to be used commercially.

To think that charging for work would "cost" him anything job wise is insane. Not even earn as much as he'd get working at his desk for the same amount of time?

Why are you sorry?

Your approach to business is just different than mine. In this particular situation, I don't believe the OP should charge his employer for his photos, especially if it involves only his time and there are no hard costs involved. I further qualified my statement by adding only if the OP enjoys their job and likes their employer. In my 20+ years of experience in the professional business world, I have seen where selfless acts by an employee that go above and beyond their job description often go rewarded with much more than what the OP can hope to get paid for his time taking the photos. We're talking about four to six images of four different buildings to post on the company's website to advertise leasing the buildings, not on a public billboard on Times Square.

If the OP works a thankless job for an impersonal boss at a large corporate giant where loyalty is frequently unrewarded, then by all means charge away.

Also, had this been the boss' daughter's wedding and on a weekend, then I would agree with you. Furthermore, If the OP felt inclined to take such the hypothetical wedding job, I would recommend obtaining a signed contract with specified and agreed-upon terms. However, if the OP enjoys their job and likes their employer, I probably wouldn't take a job photographing his boss' daughter's wedding, but that's more of a personal decision.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,228 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Feb 21, 2013 09:05 as a reply to lehmanncpa's post |  #17

Take this with a grain of salt as I have never come into this situation (I take photos of products all the time at work, with work gear, its just part of what I do to get my paycheck).

If you are going to do the shooting on work time .... then your already getting paid (turn in an expense report for milage if thats the normal thing to do at your company). I would request a work from home day to do the processing (I do this every couple weeks to get things done on a better computer at home).

If you give your boss a "good deal" and he tells another building owner what he paid you .... guess what your new business is going to expect to pay. If it were me and I could do it ALL on company time (then again even if processing at home was on my own time) I would not charge, but when you wow him with the images ask that he pass your recomendation onto his contacts (this is when you hand him a stack of business cards).

Again just my thoughts you can do with them as you please. Another point is it gets you a day or two out of the office shooting :)

John ­ Marks
39 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Ontario, Canada
Feb 21, 2013 09:36 as a reply to Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #18

Sometimes doing a little something for a boss or business contact you are already familiar with at very cheap or even free (one time) can pay off later. Here is an example.

My wife works at a resort in Ontario that's right on Lake Muskoka. It's a beautiful wilderness setting and this resort brings in mainly well-to-do clients.

Her boss, knowing my interest in photography, asked me to shoot the entire resort.
I spent a day of my own time shooting the resort, from the beach, to the interior and exterior of every high end cottage. I shot the restaurant dining room, and much of the scenery on the location. I then spent a day doing Post.
I did it all for free because I like the man and just wanted to help him out.

My images and credit are now all on his website, in ALL the brochures, some are framed in the lobby with my name on them, and now he is taking over another resort and will be displaying my work for sale there as well.
Plus (although I'm not ready yet) he wants me to become their in house photographer at both resorts as part of their all inclusive wedding packages. HE is even helping me to take the hands on wedding photographer courses offered at the local college so I can get started off on the right foot.

My images and I are also both routinely talked about to many affluent clients of the resort, leading to some casual inquiries into having me shoot for them as well. Which as it looks right now, is going to lead to some well paid commercial work?

So, the moral to this story.... sometimes one good deed can come back to you in spades if you do it for the right person who appreciates your effort given out of simple kindness.

5DM3 * 24-70L * 70-300mm f/4L * 70-200 2.8L II

PhotosGuy
74,990 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Feb 21, 2013 09:39 |  #19

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15635510external link
If you are going to do the shooting on work time .... then your already getting paid (turn in an expense report for milage if thats the normal thing to do at your company). I would request a work from home day to do the processing (I do this every couple weeks to get things done on a better computer at home).

If you give your boss a "good deal" and he tells another building owner what he paid you .... guess what your new business is going to expect to pay. If it were me and I could do it ALL on company time (then again even if processing at home was on my own time) I would not charge, but when you wow him with the images ask that he pass your recomendation onto his contacts (this is when you hand him a stack of business cards).

I tend to agree, except I'd ask your boss what he thinks would be a fair deal before you bring the above up. You should get something extra for the wear & tear on your equipment, maybe a charge for what it would cost if you had to rent it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,228 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Feb 21, 2013 09:45 |  #20

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15635621external link
I tend to agree, except I'd ask your boss what he thinks would be a fair deal before you bring the above up. You should get something extra for the wear & tear on your equipment, maybe a charge for what it would cost if you had to rent it.

This is true, however I do belive in free or full price, so for me it would be free. I work in a cubical 90% of my day. I jump at the chance to get out to the shop and photograph. If I could get away for 2-3 days to do photography and get paid ... well thats like getting paid to play in my eyes :lol: Then again asking a budget is not a bad idea, you could be turning away a couple thousand or he may say a couple hundred in which case I would let him know I would do it for free.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Not enough minerals.
Feb 21, 2013 15:23 |  #21

so far no one has mentioned or suggested any hard numbers

Flickrexternal link |Gear|The-Digital-Pictureexternal link|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERNexternal link | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,228 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Feb 21, 2013 15:27 |  #22

c2thew wrote in post #15636953external link

$0 thats what my post suggested. Its hard to give a number with the info given. If the OP wants to charge then a little more info is needed. Is your boss running multi million dollar companies, or a small hole in the wall remodeling company? That kinda stuff.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 21, 2013 15:41 |  #23

c2thew wrote in post #15636953external link

Three fifty.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,130 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Feb 21, 2013 15:54 |  #24

I photographed a three day national conference for my employer and asked no further compensation since it was being done on company time.

After all was done I had wished I'd added at least a couple hundred dollars on top of it just because of the fact that all my own equipment was used. I contemplated just taking vacation time and charging them full price, but double dipping seemed wrong to me.

If I had charged a couple hundred extra, the sponsors would have flipped the bill since they sponsored the conference. My employer only asked me to do it because the sponsor asked if they knew anyone.

Mr. ­ Bill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
Southwest USA
Feb 21, 2013 17:03 |  #25

Ok I appreciate all the comments so far and I have some more info.

1. The Owners of the place where I work also own their own Law firm and a Commercial Office space company
2. They have 4 buildings that have either just completed or about to be completely renovated
3. They want anywhere from 5-10 pictures of each building.
4. The shots will be taken on my own time, most likely on a weekend
5. 3 of the 4 buildings are about a 25 minute drive away from me (in different parts of the city). The 4th building is 45-50 miles away.

So based on this criteria and the fact that it is all on my own time, my own travel, etc. I am thinking of telling them it would be $250 per building. Does this seem reasonable?

Link to my Picturesexternal link

sorpa
Joined May 2007
Montréal
Feb 21, 2013 17:23 |  #26

Mr. Bill wrote in post #15637303external link
I am thinking of telling them it would be $250 per building. Does this seem reasonable?

Bundle, RF or RM?

Mr. ­ Bill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
Southwest USA
Feb 21, 2013 17:47 |  #27

lui-même wrote in post #15637369external link
Bundle, RF or RM?

Royalty Free.
They are paying for the photos so they should be able to use them all they want.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,228 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Feb 21, 2013 18:04 as a reply to Mr. Bill's post |  #28

Are you doing exterior shots only? Or will you need to light the inside of rooms/spaces?

For me if I was able to do all the shooting on say 1 Saturday then edit on Sunday and be done, that would be a $1,000 weekend. To some thats not worth it .... to me it would be (goes right to the family vacation fund ... I dont do photography full time).

If you plan to charge I would have a chat with him to get an idea on his budget, you may be way over or way under. Way under is a bad thing, dont ever want to leave money on the table.

Mr. ­ Bill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
Southwest USA
Feb 21, 2013 18:34 |  #29

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15637519external link
Are you doing exterior shots only? Or will you need to light the inside of rooms/spaces?

For me if I was able to do all the shooting on say 1 Saturday then edit on Sunday and be done, that would be a $1,000 weekend. To some thats not worth it .... to me it would be (goes right to the family vacation fund ... I dont do photography full time).

If you plan to charge I would have a chat with him to get an idea on his budget, you may be way over or way under. Way under is a bad thing, dont ever want to leave money on the table.

The first 2 buildings are exterior only. The other 2 buildings are not ready yet and that shoot would be in about 2 more weeks.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,228 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Feb 21, 2013 18:39 |  #30

Mr. Bill wrote in post #15637629external link
The first 2 buildings are exterior only. The other 2 buildings are not ready yet and that shoot would be in about 2 more weeks.

Its a matter of what your times worth, figure how long it will take. From the packing up and driving to set up to tear down to drive home, process .... all of it and multiply that by what you feel your hourly rate should be.

I have a base hourly rate that I feel I am worth no matter what I am doing in my spare time. I use it to calculate all sort of job cost. Building a deck for a friend, drafting, or photography. Now if I can get more then my base great, but I will not do anything on my time for anyone else for less then that amount (unless I want to and its for fun, not trying to sound like an jerk).

sponsored links

2,513 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to charge your Boss?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.