Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 24 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 08:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 30 1.4

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Feb 24, 2013 08:13 |  #1

BH Photo has the Sigma 30mm 1.4 on sale at $289.

I have a 60D with the 18-135 kit lens + a 70 -300 older lens.

I am going to Europe in a few months and have been debating either:

1) Canon 10-22 - Going wider is an option but no gain in low light condtions.
2) Tokina 11-16 - wider + faster
3) Sigma 30 1.4 This lens will just fullfill my faster lens need
4) Canon 28 1.8- again just a faster lens
5) Infamous Nifty 50- Cheap and fast but worried on my crop sensor it is too long for indoor low light needs.
6) Canon 35 F2 - inexpensive lens as well

At first I was thinking about the Tonina 11-16 as it serves two purposes (wide and faster). I have taken over 1,000 landscape shots with my 60D 18-135 and I don't remember too many times that I needed a wider lens. I don't want to spend the $600-$700 for a lens I may or may not use alot.

With the Sigma 30 1.4 @ $289, is that simply too good of a deal to pass up or is the Canon 35 F2 at a bit more the better value?

Thanks to those who comment.

sponsored links
artyH
Goldmember
2,072 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Feb 24, 2013 09:52 |  #2

I have read too many reports of the Sigma having focusing difficulty in very low light, e.g. LensRentals.
I have the Canon 35F2 and it is my favorite lens. I have lenses that may be sharper, but not by much. The lens has fast and accurate AF and works fine at F2 and is about as sharp as it is going to get by F2.2.
I highly recommend it.
I went to Paris in late Oct. with just the Canon 35F2 and the kit lens, the 18-55IS. There were a few places where an ultrawide would have been useful, but that is more often the case in a place like Rome or other cities in Italy.
I own L zooms, but wanted to travel light. You will get much more use from a 35 mm lens than a 50. I have the Canon 50, but 50 mm is too "long" for a travel lens on a crop. Once you stop down the 28F1.8 it will be sharp, but it is sharp in the center at F2.8 from my reading of reviews. This is not optimal for travel.
The 35F2 is sharp across the frame at the apertures where you will be using it. It has the reputation of being soft in the corners on full-frame, but this is not an issue on a crop body.
Where will you be going? A fast, wider prime is useful inside, and 35 is like a normal lens on a crop. A 50 gives you the view of a short telephoto. You get a lot of bang for your buck with the 35F2.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Feb 24, 2013 11:16 |  #3

artyH wrote in post #15646518external link
I have read too many reports of the Sigma having focusing difficulty in very low light, e.g. LensRentals.
I have the Canon 35F2 and it is my favorite lens. I have lenses that may be sharper, but not by much. The lens has fast and accurate AF and works fine at F2 and is about as sharp as it is going to get by F2.2.
I highly recommend it.
I went to Paris in late Oct. with just the Canon 35F2 and the kit lens, the 18-55IS. There were a few places where an ultrawide would have been useful, but that is more often the case in a place like Rome or other cities in Italy.
I own L zooms, but wanted to travel light. You will get much more use from a 35 mm lens than a 50. I have the Canon 50, but 50 mm is too "long" for a travel lens on a crop. Once you stop down the 28F1.8 it will be sharp, but it is sharp in the center at F2.8 from my reading of reviews. This is not optimal for travel.
The 35F2 is sharp across the frame at the apertures where you will be using it. It has the reputation of being soft in the corners on full-frame, but this is not an issue on a crop body.
Where will you be going? A fast, wider prime is useful inside, and 35 is like a normal lens on a crop. A 50 gives you the view of a short telephoto. You get a lot of bang for your buck with the 35F2.

While the 35/2 is a great bang-for-buck lens, the Sigma 30 1.4 is sharper and the lower aperture makes a noticeable difference indoors. You can really get away with hardly using a flash at all. For under $300 out the door new with a hood, caps and pouch it is possibly the best bang-for buck lens around.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 24, 2013 12:28 |  #4

viperbass wrote in post #15646281external link
BH Photo has the Sigma 30mm 1.4 on sale at $289.

I have a 60D with the 18-135 kit lens + a 70 -300 older lens.

I am going to Europe in a few months and have been debating either:

1) Canon 10-22 - Going wider is an option but no gain in low light condtions.
2) Tokina 11-16 - wider + faster
3) Sigma 30 1.4 This lens will just fullfill my faster lens need
4) Canon 28 1.8- again just a faster lens
5) Infamous Nifty 50- Cheap and fast but worried on my crop sensor it is too long for indoor low light needs.
6) Canon 35 F2 - inexpensive lens as well

At first I was thinking about the Tonina 11-16 as it serves two purposes (wide and faster). I have taken over 1,000 landscape shots with my 60D 18-135 and I don't remember too many times that I needed a wider lens. I don't want to spend the $600-$700 for a lens I may or may not use alot.

With the Sigma 30 1.4 @ $289, is that simply too good of a deal to pass up or is the Canon 35 F2 at a bit more the better value?

Thanks to those who comment.

You can get a lot of opinions here but the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a good choice for a fast prime on a crop. At $289 it does look like an excellent deal

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Feb 24, 2013 13:15 as a reply to watt100's post |  #5

I agree. People are very quick to shout about problems with Sigma lenses but the vast majority of them are fine. I have this lens and I can really recommend it. Great in low light and a great price at the moment.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,719 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 24, 2013 13:43 |  #6

i'd go sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6...and sigma 30mm f1.4...buy the 10-20mm used, and you'll be between $6-700...if you discover you don't like the 10-20mm after your trip, you can sell it for little to no loss

but i think you'd like them both

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links

687 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 30 1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.