Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 13 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 10:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Think Tank Holster vs. Lowepro Toploader

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Mar 13, 2013 10:41 |  #1

Hello all,

I am heavily invested in the Lowepro S&F system (and am NOT looking to sell it all off to switch systems), but I need a holster. I want something that will comfortably hold an ungripped 7D with a 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 with hood reversed. I will be using this for hiking (need for all-weather covers) and event work. Bulk and weight are things that I would want to avoid as much as possible. As I've been researching, the options that come up are:

1) Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW

Pros: designed for S&F system, better padding, consistency (all of the rain covers behave the same, etc.)

Cons: bulkier, will ungripped camera bounce around inside?, will camera with shorter lens bounce around inside?

2) Think Tank Holster 30 V2.0

Pros: designed for ungripped camera, less bulky, pop-down feature is really nice

Cons: Can the plastic tongue in the Think Tank system work (or be modified to work with the S&F system)?

3) Think Tank Holster 20 V2.0

Pros: designed for ungripped camera, less bulky, would pop-down feature allow me to carry the 100-400 (hood reversed) in the pop-down configuration while fitting a shorter lens better in the pop-up configuration?

Cons: Can the plastic tongue in the Think Tank system work (or be modified to work with the S&F system)?

***So, my main questions are:***

A) Can the Think Tank holsters be used or reasonably modified to work on a Lowepro Deluxe Tactical Belt in a way where they would not flop around more than a comparable Toploader model?

B) If the answer to (A) is yes, then can the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 v2.0 reasonably hold a 7D with 100-400 lens (hood reversed) in the pop-down configuration (or would I need to get the 30)?

Thanks for the feedback on some fairly specific questions!

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

sponsored links
lazer-jock
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Mar 13, 2013 10:44 |  #2

Mixed up my browser tabs... I've already asked for this thread to be moved to the correct place.

My Gear List

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,152 posts
Joined Jun 2005
san jose
Mar 13, 2013 12:10 |  #3

Can't comment on the thinktank but I have the 75AW and it fits well with 1D3 or 5D3+grip and 70-200 with hood reversed. I have a universal plate at the bottom at the camera and Rapid Strap too.

It comes with a extra pad (or you can use more if you have extra) that you can use to hold the the non-grip camera in place if you're concern about it flopping around. But I don't really see how it would happen unless you have a really skinny lens that just slot in and the camera is sitting unsupport at the top.

With the 100-400 or the 70-200, it'll be snug to prevent flopping.

Sonny
websiteexternal link|Gear List

lazer-jock
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Mar 14, 2013 07:58 |  #4

Thanks for the feedback Sonny. Part of what I am concerned about is bulk too. I'd prefer to have cases that stick out as little as possible so that I don't get them hung up in crowds while doing event work. A few inches here and there can make a difference between slipping through a crowd and a host of "excuse me/pardon me" lines.

Any Think Tank users out there?

My Gear List

MPCman
853 posts
Joined May 2008
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Mar 15, 2013 01:18 |  #5

The TT DH-20 has no problem storing a 7D +100-400 with hood reversed when 'popped down'. If you are primarily going to use the holster for this combo, I'd suggest getting the DH-30 so you also have the option to have the hood in shooting position.

7D, EOS-M, 100-400 L, 15-85, Tokina 11-16 2.8, EF-M 11-22, 55-200

lazer-jock
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Mar 15, 2013 09:28 |  #6

Thank you for that information. I have been going back and forth on the DH-20 vs. DH-30 question. About 80% of my shooting is with the Canon 15-85 which I thought would fit better in the DH-20 while still allowing me to use the 100-400 (hood reversed) the other 20% or so of the time.

My Gear List

MPCman
853 posts
Joined May 2008
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Mar 15, 2013 12:33 |  #7

LOL.
I've got the same 7D, 15-85 and 100-400.

I sent Think Tank an email some time ago suggesting to make a DH-20 with double pop down feature, so I could use it with anything from my 15-85 to a 100-400 with lens hood in shooting position.

I have the DH-10, 20, 30 and 50 btw... :)

7D, EOS-M, 100-400 L, 15-85, Tokina 11-16 2.8, EF-M 11-22, 55-200

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 15, 2013 12:42 |  #8

Bags that don't hang you up in crowds usually hang up the gear when you're trying to pull it out or put it back in.

lazer-jock
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Mar 16, 2013 08:14 |  #9

Savas K wrote in post #15718379external link
Bags that don't hang you up in crowds usually hang up the gear when you're trying to pull it out or put it back in.

I'm just hoping to find a balance/compromise between the two...

My Gear List

sponsored links

3,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank Holster vs. Lowepro Toploader
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.