Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 16 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 20:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Meet Debra (A Lighting Test)

Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Mar 16, 2013 20:08 |  #1

Set up my temporary studio over the weekend and took a few test shots. I am working toward getting ready to work with real live people :D I want to learn the right way to shoot portraits as well as G&N.

Please excuse the BG I had a roll of white seamless all ready to go but I never wound up unrolling it. Instead I got caught up in taking images and never really got around to the BG. Also please excuse the fact that Debra looks a bit orange, she is that way in real life. Color & WB both adjusted with ColorChecker.

I am really interested in critique on my lighting. What did I do right? What did I do wrong? What should I do differently next time?

Too much hair light in this one?

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

QC4A5377.jpg (external link) by Northwoods Photo (external link), on Flickr

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

QC4A5388.jpg (external link) by Northwoods Photo (external link), on Flickr

QC4A5383.jpg (external link) by Northwoods Photo (external link), on Flickr

QC4A5379.jpg (external link) by Northwoods Photo (external link), on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Bill R
Web:https://www.flickr.com​/photos/whitebirch/ (external link)

sponsored links
questionmarc
835 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Mar 16, 2013 20:27 |  #2

her skin seems too smooth - too much post processing in my opinion.

she seems well exposed and personally i rarely use hair or rim lights - i'd rather use the second light as a fill to the face

60D, 5DmkIII, 50 f1.8
Facebook Pageexternal link
Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Northwoods ­ Bill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Mar 16, 2013 20:37 |  #3

No processing at all. Just color & WB correction and a bit of crop. Skin like that out of the box. I was a little dissapointed in the quality of the mannequin, it is not as lifelike as I would have liked. At the same time there is still something strange about putting the head back on a shelf and closing the cabinet door. :confused:

Bill R

oldvultureface
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Northwest Indiana USA
Mar 16, 2013 20:46 as a reply to Northwoods Bill's post |  #4

I like the pose in #3 and the brighter hair light in #4. BTW, that's a really ugly tattoo on her neck.

... there is still something strange about putting the head back on a shelf and closing the cabinet door.

Yeah, that has to be a bit disconcerting.

ṐṼḞ

Northwoods ­ Bill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Mar 16, 2013 20:58 |  #5

oldvultureface wrote in post #15722810external link
BTW, that's a really ugly tattoo on her neck.

:lol::lol:

Bill R

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Bangkok
Mar 16, 2013 23:01 as a reply to Northwoods Bill's post |  #6

There's got to be something you can use other than the head. It just doesn't reflect light correctly. Do you have a neighbor or friend you can use? I would use an egg before that mannequin head.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500pxexternal link
flickrexternal link

girvan
314 posts
Joined May 2008
Vancouver, BC
Mar 16, 2013 23:23 |  #7

oldvultureface wrote in post #15722810external link
BTW, that's a really ugly tattoo on her neck.

:lol::lol:

shoot with canon gear and some lights. my blog is at www.lightgangsta.comexternal link

5D2 | 7D | 17-40 f4L | 70-200 f2.8IS | Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro | Sigma 50 f1.4

losangelino
Joined Jul 2012
Mar 17, 2013 00:53 |  #8

Though ive never tried it, a banana is supposed to reflect like skin.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @spyology (external link)
IG: @photomagicology (external link)

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Mar 17, 2013 02:50 |  #9

I like the lighting in 4, but very difficult to see how this will translate when you're shooting a person. I'd try and get a test subject in a shoot (friend or neighbour, as suggested by Gregg.Siam)

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.comexternal link

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Mar 17, 2013 11:30 |  #10

I think Debra will prove to be quite useful. Her eyes are reflective enough to show catchlights, her lips are glossy as well. The shape of her face isn't very realistic but it will suffice for modeling and shadow patterns. Her hair also does what it needs to do in practicing with a hair light.

What Debra won't do is show you how a 60+ year old woman will look. They can get pretty self-conscious about wrinkles and sagging neck skin, and sometimes you need to take a different approach.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

Seamus69
Joined Nov 2010
Pensacola
Mar 17, 2013 12:25 |  #11

I agree. Too much skin processing. Her skin is looking like plastic! Otherwise, nice.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

Northwoods ­ Bill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Mar 17, 2013 19:13 |  #12

Thanks for the feedback everyone. There actually was not any skin processing, skin looked that way right out of the box.

Bill R

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Mar 17, 2013 19:33 |  #13

Bill - I'm pretty sure the "plastic skin" comments are in jest.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

Northwoods ­ Bill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Mar 17, 2013 20:11 |  #14

:o:o:o. Curtis, thanks for pointing out the blindingly obvious which I somehow missed. :o:o:o

Bill R

HelplessSEAL
Joined Jun 2012
Mar 18, 2013 10:49 |  #15

Curtis N wrote in post #15724479external link
I think Debra will prove to be quite useful. Her eyes are reflective enough to show catchlights, her lips are glossy as well. The shape of her face isn't very realistic but it will suffice for modeling and shadow patterns. Her hair also does what it needs to do in practicing with a hair light.

What Debra won't do is show you how a 60+ year old woman will look. They can get pretty self-conscious about wrinkles and sagging neck skin, and sometimes you need to take a different approach.

She has painted on catchlights =/, unless what you're referring to are those blurry highlights on her eyes. However, I do agree that the mannequin will suffice for learning how to shape light. Just don't show the rest of the world your test shots, they may think that you're some psychopath :lol:

Epic battle in my mind of whether to focus more on portraiture or architecture. #FirstWorldProblems :roll:

sponsored links

2,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
Meet Debra (A Lighting Test)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.