Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 00:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Please Post Your Billingham Bags!

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Mar 31, 2013 23:05 |  #1051

princeofdark wrote in post #15775083 (external link)
Can you please help me to tell which one is this Billingham? I mean what do you think which model?

QUOTED IMAGE

I wonder if that is the "Original Hadley", before the Hadley Pro came out?

I haven't seen the label in that position either.

-howard

sponsored links
princeofdark
47 posts
Joined May 2011
Apr 01, 2013 11:24 as a reply to hfgarris's post |  #1052

I would like to buy a Billingham to carry my D800 with most of the time one lens attached and one other. The lenses are not tall - nothing like 70-200 - only a 35mm and a 85mm. I know that the 5D is not as tall as the D800 is (I think 1cm difference), but even with the 5D it is a little bit bulky. I know most of you have Canon gear, have someone tried D800 in Hadley Pro or Hadley Large? I know the D800 will fit in the f2.8 bag, but it looks too "boxy".

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Apr 01, 2013 12:06 |  #1053

princeofdark wrote in post #15778794external link
I would like to buy a Billingham to carry my D800 with most of the time one lens attached and one other. The lenses are not tall - nothing like 70-200 - only a 35mm and a 85mm. I know that the 5D is not as tall as the D800 is (I think 1cm difference), but even with the 5D it is a little bit bulky. I know most of you have Canon gear, have someone tried D800 in Hadley Pro or Hadley Large? I know the D800 will fit in the f2.8 bag, but it looks too "boxy".

How tall is your D800 with the longer of your 2 lenses?

My normal "walk-around" kit is the 5D-III with 24-105L and a 70-300L next to it. The Hadley Pro is spec'd at 8.75" tall (inside dimension). Either lens mounted to the camera will easily fit.

7.5" --- 5D with 24-105L
8.7" --- 5D with 70-300L

-howard

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Apr 01, 2013 12:28 |  #1054

Howard, thanks for your help. I've responded a couple of times with pm's, but don't have pro gear.

The advantage of the Hadley Pro is that the bag will stretch to accommodate larger gear. Then the bag bulges.

I think he is saying that with the camera inserted in the bag with lens down, will the front of the bag bulge out?
I've said with a larger camera in the bag, inserted so the lens is down, that the green top flat won't cover the whole camera back.

I'm so impressed with the Hadley Digital. It takes my Nikon d300s+grip with 18-200VR lens. It is fiddly, but it does work. (Hairbrained idea: use a Hadley Digital; put a Think Tank lens changer on the end (somehow).

Or provided it fits, go with the Hadley Large and do without the top hand-strap.

Hope this helps.
DaveL

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Apr 01, 2013 12:28 |  #1055

ps Howard, wish I had your gear! Nice lens choices.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Apr 01, 2013 12:44 |  #1056

I use Hadley Pro with D800 + 24-70G in the middle, 85 1.4G and a SB-900 on the sides.

You should be fine :D

I prefer Hadley Pro than Hadley large. I just can't live without the handle! :lol:

Nikon D800

princeofdark
47 posts
Joined May 2011
Apr 01, 2013 13:52 |  #1057

ching wrote in post #15779024external link
I use Hadley Pro with D800 + 24-70G in the middle, 85 1.4G and a SB-900 on the sides.

You should be fine :D

I prefer Hadley Pro than Hadley large. I just can't live without the handle! :lol:

Wooow, thank you guys! :D You helped me a lot - Howard, DaveL, Ching.

Yes Dave, my problem was, if the front will too bulge out with the D800, because it is taller than the Canon 5D (I, II, III).

Please Ching, can you post one photo of the bag how it looks inside when the gear you mentioned is there? I would really-really appreciate it. I will carry D800 with Sigma 35mm and Nikon 85 f1.8. What a nice thread:-)

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Apr 01, 2013 14:21 |  #1058

princeofdark wrote in post #15779243 (external link)
Please Ching, can you post one photo of the bag how it looks inside when the gear you mentioned is there? I would really-really appreciate it. I will carry D800 with Sigma 35mm and Nikon 85 f1.8. What a nice thread:-)

Not mine, but pretty much the same placement :D

IMAGE: http://www.cambags.com/nikon/d70/shoulder/images/billingham_hadley_pro/billingham_hadley_pro_nikon_d300_phantomo.jpg

Nikon D800

princeofdark
47 posts
Joined May 2011
Apr 01, 2013 14:27 |  #1059

ching wrote in post #15779354external link
Not mine, but pretty much the same placement :D

Thanks! I thought it will bulk out more, super! ;)

edit: are you sure it is D800, mine looks differently :-D D300? The D800 is 1cm higher, but if you say even with D800 it is OK, i trust you :)

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Apr 01, 2013 15:04 |  #1060

princeofdark wrote in post #15779387external link
Thanks! I thought it will bulk out more, super! ;)

edit: are you sure it is D800, mine looks differently :-D D300? The D800 is 1cm higher, but if you say even with D800 it is OK, i trust you :)

Oh ... the height of the camera body, not the tip of lens to camera back.  :o

With that in mind, my 5D-III always has a RRS mounting plate on it (usually the L-Plate), and that has to be at least the 1cm you mentioned as the difference. I have no problems with the depth of the 5D-III with the additional L-Plate mounted to it in the Hadley Pro.

Keep in mind, that the Hadley series are designed to bulge out in the middle ... they have to since the center 2 dividers are considerably deeper than the end dividers. From above looking down, the Hadley series will appear " D " shaped, not a square box as other bags. This allows a more streamlined shape with your smaller, round lenses at the ends of the bag, and your bulky, boxy camera body in the center of the bag.

That's how it keeps it svelte shape ... :D

-howard

princeofdark
47 posts
Joined May 2011
Apr 01, 2013 15:09 |  #1061

hfgarris wrote in post #15779521external link
Oh ... the height of the camera body, not the tip of lens to camera back.  :o

With that in mind, my 5D-III always has a RRS mounting plate on it (usually the L-Plate), and that has to be at least the 1cm you mentioned as the difference. I have no problems with the depth of the 5D-III with the additional L-Plate mounted to it in the Hadley Pro.

-howard

It has to be because of my bad English, never mind :oops:

Yes, I meant the high of the camera body, cause I know there will be no problem with the lenses, because they are pretty compact. I was afraid that the front will too much bulk out. I also have a plate on it, using it with hand strap. :)

edit. I understand it will bulk out, I was only afraid it will bulk out much

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Apr 01, 2013 16:43 |  #1062

princeofdark wrote in post #15779545external link
It has to be because of my bad English, never mind :oops:

Yes, I meant the high of the camera body, cause I know there will be no problem with the lenses, because they are pretty compact. I was afraid that the front will too much bulk out. I also have a plate on it, using it with hand strap. :)

edit. I understand it will bulk out, I was only afraid it will bulk out much

I understand.
It took me a long time to make up my mind and buy. I spent a while trying to figure out dimensions of Billingham bags, trying to figure out if my gear would fit.

Everyone here was very patient withme!

Your English is good.

DaveL
Toronto

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Apr 02, 2013 04:58 |  #1063

The back of a gripped body is almost square, so it would make sense that a bag that would accommodate it properly without a bulge would look boxy. Sometimes personal sentiment on carry appearance does not match with what the content is that is being carried. Kind of like the fat lady who squeezes herself into and bulges out of a fashion not meant for her, but she desperately wants to carry the look of that outfit. Your case sounds like a candidate for a Billingham 107 or 207.

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Apr 02, 2013 13:06 |  #1064

Savas K wrote in post #15781784external link
The back of a gripped body is almost square, so it would make sense that a bag that would accommodate it properly without a bulge would look boxy. Sometimes personal sentiment on carry appearance does not match with what the content is that is being carried. Kind of like the fat lady who squeezes herself into and bulges out of a fashion not meant for her, but she desperately wants to carry the look of that outfit. Your case sounds like a candidate for a Billingham 107 or 207.

It may have been in a PM rather than a post here, but I believe princeofdark mentioned that his D800 is not gripped, but it does have a AS plate on it. Perhaps someone reading with a D800 and a Hadley Pro could post a quick photo of how it all fits.

-howard

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Apr 02, 2013 13:40 |  #1065
banned

beautiful and awesome that it was passed down. what model is it? 335 maybe?

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

sponsored links

569,665 views & 28 likes for this thread
Please Post Your Billingham Bags!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.