Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 06 Apr 2013 (Saturday) 22:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Using LR4 to open 6D files into CS5

MTguy
121 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Apr 09, 2013 09:05 |  #16

The artifacts along high contrast areas is exactly the problem I was having. I bit the bullet and upgraded to CS6 last night. Problem solved. I recently upgraded to a 5DIII and then quickly realized I had to upgrade both LR and now PS. Both were an unpleasant surprise.

5DIII, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L, Canon 50 1.4, 35 F2 IS, Rokinon 14 2.8

sponsored links
imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Apr 09, 2013 09:36 |  #17

I tried the export as DNG method, and it adds a few steps I don't like to my workflow, but I'm not inconvienced enough to drop cash on CS6 when I got CS5 for $50 through that messed up coupon code last February. At least I can do my panoramas and HDR shots now.

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Apr 10, 2013 16:53 |  #18

OK, I'm "late to the party", but Adobe did release an update for Camera Raw 6.x (used in CS5). It's intent was to allow you to open multiple images -- it's version 6.7.0.339. You have to manually get it download it and install it (no automatic update). It has worked for me:

https://www.google.com ...ygQ&bvm=bv.45107431​,d.cGEexternal link

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

907nomad
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 08, 2013 14:03 |  #19

So I'm having all the same issues listed here except LR4(.4) is telling me I need the 7.4 raw plugin. I too have a 6D, Lr4 and Cs5. Both LR and CS say I have latest versions. I convert to Tiff and open in CS5 to resize only- no further edits. the saved resized tiff is horribly off color from where it started in LR4. LR4 leads you to believe that a plugin exists to fix this but I cannot find it. Will upgrading to LR5 fix the issue? I will not upgrade to CS6. I don't understand why this issue isn't addressed seriously by Adobe...I mean people who shoot Raw are using high end cameras for the most part, pay considerably for the editting software and yet we still have stuff like this to contend with when we just need to keep our workflows flowing easily for us? and I do have ACR 6.7, but LR4 is asking for 7.4...

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,823 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Georgetown, Ky
Jul 08, 2013 14:22 |  #20

Support for the 6D was introduced in LR4.3 and ACR7.3. CS5 is not compatible with the ACR7.x updates and the latest for CS5 is ACR6.7 which was introduced before the 6D came out. You should be able to open the 6D's RAW files thru LR if you have at least LR4.3.

Adobe doesn't go back and add support for new cameras in previous versions of PS-ACR. They are continuing new camera RAW support for CS6 after CC though.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

907nomad
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 08, 2013 14:34 |  #21

Hi Dennis- I can't resize files in LR4, which was why I would try and send them to CS5 after I was done editting in LR4. But converting them to TIFF first and resaving the new resized image back into LR, the color was horrible. Requiring lots of re-editting with less than exact results. So you're saying 7.4 plugin for LR4 and CS5 will not be forthcoming? but will LR5 be compatible RAW in CS5?

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,823 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Georgetown, Ky
Jul 08, 2013 14:50 |  #22

I don't use LR but I would think you could resize in it. Somebody else may chime in how to do it. The color issue sounds like a management issue - are you using the same space (sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhoto)?

The last update to LR was the 4.4, the 7.4 refers to ACR (CS6) and no further updates to either LR4 or CS5 will be issued by Adobe. LR5 and the RAW in CS5 are two complete separate programs. You should be able to open the RAW files from your 6D with LR4.4, but not thru CS5 (ACR).

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Jul 08, 2013 17:08 |  #23

907nomad wrote in post #16102217external link
So I'm having all the same issues listed here except LR4(.4) is telling me I need the 7.4 raw plugin. I too have a 6D, Lr4 and Cs5. Both LR and CS say I have latest versions. I convert to Tiff and open in CS5 to resize only- no further edits. the saved resized tiff is horribly off color from where it started in LR4. LR4 leads you to believe that a plugin exists to fix this but I cannot find it. Will upgrading to LR5 fix the issue? I will not upgrade to CS6. I don't understand why this issue isn't addressed seriously by Adobe...I mean people who shoot Raw are using high end cameras for the most part, pay considerably for the editting software and yet we still have stuff like this to contend with when we just need to keep our workflows flowing easily for us? and I do have ACR 6.7, but LR4 is asking for 7.4...

907nomad wrote in post #16102320external link
Hi Dennis- I can't resize files in LR4, which was why I would try and send them to CS5 after I was done editting in LR4. But converting them to TIFF first and resaving the new resized image back into LR, the color was horrible. Requiring lots of re-editting with less than exact results. So you're saying 7.4 plugin for LR4 and CS5 will not be forthcoming? but will LR5 be compatible RAW in CS5?

Something is not making sense here! When you open a photo in Photoshop from Lightroom (using Edit in Photoshop) as a tiff, the tiff will be compatible and Lightroom/Photoshop will not use ACR so that will work with CS5 or an earlier version of CS. ACR 7.x will not be required unless you are trying to open as a Smart Object, but at least in my LR4 the "Smart Object" option needs the updated version of ACR 6.7 to be installed in order to be active (see my earlier post).

So your error message is popping up in Lightroom? That doesn't make sense -- could you maybe post a screen shot?

As to resizing in Lightroom, that is a function of the Export dialog, take some time to read up on Exporting!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 08, 2013 19:53 |  #24

Resizing is controlled in the LR Export Dialogue (brought up by hitting the "Export" Button at the bottom of the Left hand column, Ctrl/Shift/E, or several other methods), there are nine sections in the dialogue and image sizing is the fifth. If you tick the "Resize to Fit" box, you are then offered a choice of options, "Length and Width", "Dimensions", Long or Short edge, or even Megapixels. In the various dimension options you have the choice of specifying the dimensions in pixels, or lengths (both inches or cm). There is also an option to set the Resolution (in either Px/inch or Px/cm), to be used for both calculation the number of pixels when the size is defined by the lengths, as well as in determining the exact amount of output sharpening the will be applied.

As Tony said it is a good idea to have a read up regarding the most suitable export options for the use that you will be making of the images. The issues that you have with the colour sound like they may be due to having an unsuitable colour space being applied to the output file, if in doubt be sure to have sRGB selected.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using LR4 to open 6D files into CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.