Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 02:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best UV filter?

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 09, 2013 18:12 |  #31

Sirrith wrote in post #15806734 (external link)
...I don't see the point of turning this into another ridiculous thread on filters vs no filters.

And you thought this was going to end how?
Can...
Worms...
Open...again!

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links
silvrg35
190 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 09, 2013 18:16 |  #32

philwillmedia wrote in post #15809498 (external link)
Can...
Worms...
Open...again!

Don't understand why these threads pop up every week when there is a stickied FAQ on this topic.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 09, 2013 18:21 |  #33

samsen wrote in post #15809469 (external link)
^ Can't agree with the second part of your statement.
Filters definitely prevent dust deposition.
Prevent finger prints.
Prevent condensation related thermal damage.

I have had two broken filters in past due to pressure. Non caused any damage of front element.

And yes they do cause ugly reflections at night, no mater what the manufactures clams about their wonderful coating.

I think he's referring to the logical paradox of a shard from the filter's softer glass damaging a much harder lens' front element. It's called having your cake and eating it too. Either the front element can withstand God's fury or it succumbs to the fragile bits and pieces of a terribly ineffective UV filter. This is how you can have both arguments, whichever is most convenient for the post at hand.

It's an urban legend that comes up from time to time. If you search you might even find a pic of two in the history of the world that purport to show evidence of this phenomenon actually happening. Might.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 09, 2013 19:11 as a reply to  @ Indecent Exposure's post |  #34

I thought I posted this before: My Canon 24-105/4 L came with a Canon UV filter. I kept it. If Canon put it there, it must be good. I used to have a Tamron SP 300/2.8 Manual Lens that came with a "natural filter" (it was supposed to be an UV filter). However, the lens produced its best pictures with the "natural filter" that came with it.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 09, 2013 20:16 |  #35

philwillmedia wrote in post #15809498 (external link)
Can...
Worms...
Open...again!

I was hoping that people on here would have some maturity and actually answer his question instead of taking every opportunity to voice their unsolicited opinions, but I guess I was wrong. :lol:

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,524 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 09, 2013 20:27 |  #36

Sirrith wrote in post #15809841 (external link)
I was hoping that people on here would have some maturity and actually answer his question instead of taking every opportunity to voice their unsolicited opinions, but I guess I was wrong. :lol:

Hoya HD was mentioned, and I think it's a great filter.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 09, 2013 20:28 |  #37

Charlie wrote in post #15809869 (external link)
Hoya HD was mentioned, and I think it's a great filter.

Yes, I am aware that several people actually did try to help the OP with his request rather than just boost their post count. :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,522 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 09, 2013 20:30 |  #38

hollis_f wrote in post #15806857 (external link)
The best UV filter is something cheap and horrible. Spend no more than $10 on Ebay.

That way you'll waste only a small amount of money when you realise that every 'protective' filter will, at some time, noticeably degrade your image.

Perfectly said.....

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,728 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2013 20:30 |  #39

Maturity has nothing to do with it. It's a religious issue for the anti-filter jihadis :D.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 09, 2013 20:33 |  #40

ed rader wrote in post #15809885 (external link)
Maturity has nothing to do with it. It's a religious issue for the anti-filter jihadis :D.

Then we venture into the territory of the sanity of holding extremist religious beliefs, which I believe is off topic and should not be explored further. :D

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2013 22:56 |  #41

Marumi Super DHG is the best protective filter I guess from Lenstip's tests. If you really want to cut off uv, then hoya.
BW are overestimated, they are nice built but in terms of transparency, vinegting, anti flare, it is NOT the best, HOYA KENKO Marumi, these Japanese filters are optically better, at a much lower price, although it is hard to be notified under most circumstances. You DO see differences somrtimes.
From my own experience, especially I did a test using 70-200 II, Hoya is the better than B+W in terms of anti flare.
I didnt see too much improvement from F-pro to xs-pro nano, whic disappointed me a lot.

Anyway, Im not a BW lover any more, I will definitwly keep my xspros, but if I buy next time, I will go marumi.

Fly me away.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,524 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 10, 2013 01:25 |  #42

^^ I have a marumi circpol that I like. Does the job. Like hoya HD for the shatter resistant glass. Pretty much sold on that basis.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

NemethR
847 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 10, 2013 02:17 |  #43

Here are some tests:
http://www.lenstip.com …icle-UV_filters_test.html (external link)

(And here are the results: http://www.lenstip.com …_results_and_su​mmary.html (external link) )

I would say use a filter!
You can never know, when you get into a situation when you need it...
And if it somehow affects the image, simply dismount it.

Better to have one, and be happy, then not have one, and be sorry.

And thrust me in situations like these: its better to HAVE a filter on!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 10, 2013 03:19 |  #44

Reminds me of the "IS is awesome, people who don't use it sit down to pee" vs. "IS is for wimps, I can hold my 1200mm f5.6 and get sharp shots with no IS... with one hand... whilst eating a sandwich" threads :D.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 10, 2013 04:42 |  #45

ed rader wrote in post #15809885 (external link)

You can tell it's a religious matter, because believers get upset when confronted by facts -

• No UV/'protective' filter can improve image quality on a dSLR.
  • All UV/'protective' filters will cause some degradation in image quality.
  • The seriousness of this degradation tends to decrease as filter cost increases.
  • Good filters will cause degradation that is not noticeable under most conditions.
  • All filters, even the best, will cause noticeable degradation in some conditions.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

10,178 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best UV filter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.