Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 25 Jul 2005 (Monday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: 3D (Stereo Photography)

didgiwhat?
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2013
May 01, 2013 14:12 |  #1021

mike_foyle wrote in post #15808003 (external link)
I made some 3d images using only one source image. This involved separating foreground subject from background (using refine edge and content aware), shifting things around using transform tools to achieve a nice dynamic depth to the effect. I then composited them back together as two separate stereo images.

I'm quite happy with the results and it's nice to have the flexibility of not needing to rely on using 2 cameras!

NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

Let me know what you think.

Mike

I like stereophotography and didn't know you could do this with a single image. I do know you can sometimes/often get a standard 2D video to appear 3D by viewing the videos freeview/crosseyes with one of the videos one or more frames ahead of the other. The power of the mind.

sponsored links
FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
May 02, 2013 07:41 |  #1022

Hey Mike.
Welcome aboard.
Boy - considering the fact you're working with one original - YOU'RE GOOD!

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppeexternal link
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

mike_foyle
183 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Southampton, UK
May 02, 2013 19:30 |  #1023

FotOz wrote in post #15889754external link
Hey Mike.
Welcome aboard.
Boy - considering the fact you're working with one original - YOU'RE GOOD!

Thanks :) It takes a bit of creative bodgery to get it to work. I do find that it's somewhat limited in it's effect (the subject looks rather like a paper cut out)... But yes, it can be done with one image quite successfully I think.

I'll do a little tutorial to show my method next time I make one.

Mike

www.michaelfoyle.co.ukexternal link

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,906 posts
Joined Sep 2002
Newport News, VA, USA
Jun 22, 2013 21:36 as a reply to mike_foyle's post |  #1024

So since April, i have learned the following.

1. Although the satechi remotes are looking like they are still good with blinking lights, I must change the batteries out before they stop blinking as fresh batteries make a huge difference in getting everything to sync.

2. I have been playing some more with SPM (Stereo Photo Maker) and as of right now my basic procedures are use SPM to create the 3D stereo images, then take to 3D Composer to edit them (If I had a polarized monitor instead of NVidia shutter system apparently I could see 3D in SPM as I edit) and after editing then I batch convert to jpg extension, run a Photoshop action to add a 3D logo and then batch convert them back to jps extension (if needed in stereo).

After finding I was at least 3 versions behind on SPM from some discussions on a dedicated stereography forum, I updated to latest version and discovered I could pull from different folders (with 3D Composer I have to have left and right in same folder). It is much easier to sync up the images if the cameras missed one with two folders and SPM will process everything, while 3D composer actually checks first to make sure they are actually a decent 3D set first.

However, it is much easier to actually edit the shot if you can be viewing it in 3D stereo while doing so.

I have also learned better how to get Pinnacle Studio 16 to create a 3D stereo movie. I prefer manuals to video tutorials (yes I am archaic that way) but I actually sat through two videos just so I could figure it out. I have used Stereo Movie Maker, but it has issues with certain formats, while Pinnacle will recognize the video direct from the Canon Camera without any conversion.

3. Must get vertical alignment perfect for video, unless it is only for the computer. Horizontal is not as critical. While this has been true for stills, stills can be cropped easily, video can technically be cropped, but you lose some quality with resizing back to the display format,

4. Finally really tiny shiny objects are less bad than large shiny objects.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.comexternal link
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​mexternal link

justamateur
209 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Oct 09, 2013 10:47 |  #1025

My very first 3d images which I split in two. Fuji Finepix real 3D W3 camera using A3D mode (two pictures taken by left and right lenses)
Fuji MyFinePix Studio software is limited and weird, I need to find something better. Not much dimensional, imo. Need to learn how to use it.
The bottom line- it works!

http://s4.uploads.ru/L​ETKM.jpgexternal link

http://s4.uploads.ru/w​9uI6.jpgexternal link

K9WG
25 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Greenfield Indiana
Aug 23, 2014 13:13 as a reply to justamateur's post |  #1026

My First Try at Stereo Photography

Sitting up late one night I decided to try my hand at this.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/TobascoStereo_zps76701177.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/K9WGStereo_zps7af9e696.jpg

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
LA
Aug 23, 2014 21:07 |  #1027

Both are very nice K9WG.
Good to see your contributions keeping this thread alive.
Its too much pity to see 3D interest is lost and gone with the wind in every frontier.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Jan 13, 2015 06:11 |  #1028

Hey K9WG. Well done.
You know what I REALLY like about your second pair?
The red tassel in the book.
So tell me - single camera? Two shots? Hand held?
73s (or 88s) to you. Not sure which applies. :-P

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppeexternal link
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

CT ­ GUY
54 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Mar 02, 2015 07:57 |  #1029

I like to do it quite often but prefer the opposite where you relax your eyes instead of the cross eyed method. I used to have a 3d camera but now I just take one shot looking through the viewfinder with one eye then switching the camera to the other eye and lining up the same subject. I can make the shots bigger than this and I like using a "viewer" I ordered online that helps you to see the 3d image with less eye strain.

IMAGE: http://www.ephotobay.com/image/3drooster.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.ephotobay.c​om/share/3drooster.htm​l] (external link)

Deadline
Joined May 2015
May 29, 2015 16:07 |  #1030

actual 3d.... this post is probably gonna get deleted... lol
this was done in maya in 2008.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.sergeygrey.​com/ (external link) - About me and ALL of my work from photography to 3D Gaphics and 3D printing that I do for a living as well as side projects such as Meetup Photography groups and Car Rigging.

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Dec 26, 2015 17:19 |  #1031

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Dec 26, 2015 17:23 as a reply to Deadline's post |  #1032

Here's some 3D 3D...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Dec 30, 2015 04:47 |  #1033

Lego 3Dography.

HOSTED PHOTO

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,906 posts
Joined Sep 2002
Newport News, VA, USA
Dec 23, 2016 09:05 |  #1034

Just a quick update post to show I am still around and occasionally still playing with 3D stereo.

I gave up on the Satechi remotes, one of them died and of course it was the expensive part of the mess.

So I went and bought two cheap wired remotes and did a cut and splice job. Within the range of the wire it works great (I knew it would, just was loath previously to cutting wires). Will have to repeat if I ever upgrade cameras to one that uses different remotes.

I have basically incorporated my LED lights into my strobe lighting when I do stills at this point and have found it works well with the 2D stills, but If I don't catch the strobe with the 3D rig, I still get a decent picture. I have the 3D rig set for a little too much if the strobe goes off, but not quite enough if they don't, but close enough in both cases to fix in post processing.

Still shooting with a pair of T3i's cause they work and can't afford to upgrade.

Still shooting mostly things that can't go onto this sub-forum. Mostly product shots for a company.

Maybe at some point I will break down and take pictures of my girlfriend's doll dress collection, those would be okay and she would probably like that. Tricky because I really will need to shoot farther away than I would like just to keep the 3D depth correct enough because camera rig has the cameras a good distance for human models, to0 far apart for 1/4 scale ball jointed dolls.

Anyway that is my update for now.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.comexternal link
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​mexternal link

sponsored links

309,124 views & 1 like for this thread
3D (Stereo Photography)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.