Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 13 May 2013 (Monday) 20:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

200-400 f/4L IS 1.4X Announcement

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
May 14, 2013 14:34 |  #91

Scott_online wrote in post #15931495external link
It's probably been pointed out already, but in the UK, the retail price is GBP12000 which is over USD18000!

Interestingly, it's the most expensive in the range: the 600II is a mere GBP10500.

It's cheaper than the 800mm - RRP £12300

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
Bones1974
162 posts
Joined Jun 2010
London
May 14, 2013 15:09 |  #92

David Arbogast wrote in post #15931674external link
Thanks. And that is impressive! :)

Dont forget all those images are shot with the first OS version, not the new one. Gabe's images are superb!

gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010
May 14, 2013 15:17 |  #93

David Arbogast wrote in post #15931636external link
You had the Sigma? I'm trying to learn more about that lens, since it's been mentioned in this thread, and it has been an odd learning experience thus far.

On the one hand there is a 222 page thread enthusiastically discussing the lens - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=934592 - which is an impressive long-lived discussion. Yet I had to do a forum search in "Lens Sample Photo Archive" just to find this little 13-page thread: http://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=sigma+120&p​age=13 for some image samples.

So, there seems to be a big disconnect in that people are enthusiastic about discussing the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8, but don't seem excited about actually using one, or posting images from it. I'm sure I'm just missing something here, so I'm asking for a little help/guidance.

My apologies for going off-track, but I'm genuinely curious. I've been hoping for Canon to announce an improved 100-400 mk II, but maybe I should be considering the Sigma? Price-wise I imagine it would be about the same as a 100-400 mk ii. I recognize the Sigma is a much heavier lens, but the idea of shooting 420 @ f/4 and 600mm @ f/5.6 for that price is very appealing. Why did you sell yours? Thanks! :)

Is this the thread you're speaking of? http://photography-on-the.net ...39709&highlight=sig​ma+120

Yep, I had one. Sold it because-

- I was using it for outdoor things only, typically at racetracks, so f/2.8 wasn't necessary very often.
- I have a 70-300L, which was getting used for most things 300mm and below as opposed to the Sigma, and was typically taken with me along with the 120-300 OS, negating the "one telephoto zoom for everything" concept.
- For 400mm and above, while having the ability to quickly zoom between 400mm-600mm was nice, the size/weight of the lens, especially if sitting in a crowd and panning, made that zoom range less convenient than throwing a 1.4TC on a 400mm lens if I needed it, which often times I didn't due to the ability to crop.
-I got an excellent, excellent, deal on a 400mm DO thats's in great shape, which gave me a lot less load to carry, while retaining excellent IQ at both 400mm and 560mm with a 1.4TC. I can even get fairly good results with stacked 1.4TC's on my 7D if I have enough light to stop it down a notch or two.

Granted...there are still times I wish I had it back, and who knows, I might grab one of the new ones here soon. I'm giving the 400mm DO the year to prove it's worth, and if by around November I'm finding myself missing the flexability of the 120-300 OS, I'll sell the 400 DO and buy another one. But these issues above would be the same with the Canon 200-400, and my guess are the kinds of issues that will keep even the best funded folks from picking up a 200-400. This thing will be priceless to those who need the flexability and a single-lens solution, but some will have a hard time parting with their Supertelephoto to justify one.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,138 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
May 14, 2013 16:06 |  #94

Bones1974 wrote in post #15931806external link
Dont forget all those images are shot with the first OS version, not the new one. Gabe's images are superb!

No, I did not know that! I'm just getting dialed into this lens and didn't realize they've released a new version. Even better, thank you!

gocolts wrote in post #15931834external link
Yep, I had one. Sold it because-

- I was using it for outdoor things only, typically at racetracks, so f/2.8 wasn't necessary very often.
- I have a 70-300L, which was getting used for most things 300mm and below as opposed to the Sigma, and was typically taken with me along with the 120-300 OS, negating the "one telephoto zoom for everything" concept.
- For 400mm and above, while having the ability to quickly zoom between 400mm-600mm was nice, the size/weight of the lens, especially if sitting in a crowd and panning, made that zoom range less convenient than throwing a 1.4TC on a 400mm lens if I needed it, which often times I didn't due to the ability to crop.
-I got an excellent, excellent, deal on a 400mm DO thats's in great shape, which gave me a lot less load to carry, while retaining excellent IQ at both 400mm and 560mm with a 1.4TC. I can even get fairly good results with stacked 1.4TC's on my 7D if I have enough light to stop it down a notch or two.

Granted...there are still times I wish I had it back, and who knows, I might grab one of the new ones here soon. I'm giving the 400mm DO the year to prove it's worth, and if by around November I'm finding myself missing the flexability of the 120-300 OS, I'll sell the 400 DO and buy another one. But these issues above would be the same with the Canon 200-400, and my guess are the kinds of issues that will keep even the best funded folks from picking up a 200-400. This thing will be priceless to those who need the flexability and a single-lens solution, but some will have a hard time parting with their Supertelephoto to justify one.

Thank you very much for that excellent explanation. I know this needs to be a thread discussing the new 200-400 - and it's a very exciting new lens - but this is exactly why forums can be so incredibly helpful: learning about new products. I hadn't been tracking with Sigma's telephoto products, but that's changing right now. I just got their new 35mm f/1.4 and am blown away by it, so I'm suitably primed to consider other Sigma lenses if, like the 35mm f1.4, they are highly-regarded.

David | Flickr (external link)

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,397 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Hampshire UK
May 14, 2013 16:19 |  #95

I'm another Sigma 120-300 with 2X user and for the less financially endowed is a far more realistic option than the Canon 200-400. Without being able to compare images side by side it is difficult to be objective. No doubt the new canon lens will perform, but I should flipping well hope so given the price! You have to wonder though how many they need to sell to recoup the development costs, and make a profit. I expect they may make more overall cash with the dust pump.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​ukexternal link
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 14, 2013 16:33 |  #96

I briefly read thru the 4 pages of this thread. I don't understand why so many people seem to be surprised by the $12,000 price. That is right in the ballpark of what many of us have been predicting it would cost. And that price fits right in with the cost of all of the other newly released supertelephotos. Did anyone actually think it would cost less than $10,000? If so, why did you think that? Was your "projection" based on actual pricing of similar newly released lenses?

Maybe now people will believe me when I say that if Canon comes out with a 400mm f4 with IS, it will probably cost around $8,000.

Why aren't people realistic when they try to guess how much a newly released lens will cost?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 14, 2013 16:39 |  #97

artyman wrote in post #15932048external link
I'm another Sigma 120-300 with 2X user and for the less financially endowed is a far more realistic option than the Canon 200-400. Without being able to compare images side by side it is difficult to be objective. No doubt the new canon lens will perform, but I should flipping well hope so given the price! You have to wonder though how many they need to sell to recoup the development costs, and make a profit. I expect they may make more overall cash with the dust pump.

I have a 120-300 as well and i have ZERO Illusions that the 120-300 will be anywhere near what this 200-400 will be able to do,,,,,,,The canon will kicks its butt,,, For most peoples needs however, $2700.00 v/s 12,000.00 is a no brainer......I wanted some reach for very little wildlife photography I do and I needed 300MM @ F/2.8 for our wedding business.....Thank you sigma very much.

I think canon is smoking some Funky Japaneese crack. I dont see a lot of these moving. I agree,, a 400MM DO would be my choice over this one

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,740 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
May 14, 2013 18:00 |  #98

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #15931104external link
this made me laugh even though it's not April 1st today
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ns_case_200_6400_fo​r.htmlexternal link

but I am sure the fanboys would defend Canon by saying that nobody really uses those cases anyway... :rolleyes:

you do realize the case is included, right?

just look at the 'what's in the box' tab...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Perth, Western Australia
May 15, 2013 00:53 |  #99

Canon can put whatever price they like on a product when they first release it, but it will ultimately be the open market and sales volume which will indicate if the product has been correctly priced.

Sure, they can release the lens now with an asking price of nearly 12k, but how long will it take before they review that price if there is not product acceptance and the lens does not reach projected sales figures? I can almost guarentee the market price will be reviewed fairly quickly if that were to be the case.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Not enough minerals.
May 15, 2013 00:59 |  #100

It's over 9000!

kidding aside, the amount of custom tooling and lens R&D to build this lens is evident in the pricing. I'm sure the safari guys would love to own this lens, but probably when the lens is closer to the 8,500-9k price point.

Flickrexternal link |Gear|The-Digital-Pictureexternal link|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERNexternal link | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Kaiser_photographer
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011
May 15, 2013 01:08 as a reply to c2thew's post |  #101

Here is a review from Andy Rouse - Wildlife Photographer With Samples
REVIEWexternal link

Gear List
FLICKRexternal link
FLICKR MPSexternal link

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
May 15, 2013 02:21 |  #102

The $12k price tag is not a suprise, but the 12k POUNDS price tag is just plain rip off, especially as the European price is 12k €... which means anyone in the UK can get it shipped from Europe, save 2k and not pay taxes.... where is the point in that?

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.comexternal link

http://www.natureimmor​tal.comexternal link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
May 15, 2013 02:25 |  #103

Neilyb wrote in post #15933580external link
The $12k price tag is not a suprise, but the 12k POUNDS price tag is just plain rip off, especially as the European price is 12k €... which means anyone in the UK can get it shipped from Europe, save 2k and not pay taxes.... where is the point in that?

Because £12000 is the RRP and nobody with a brain will pay the RRP with their own money. By the end of the year the retailers will have extracted maximum profit from the people who want their new toy, and they want it now! By then the price will have dropped to around £9000.

It happens every time new gear is released. And every time people point out how unfair it is. And every time I make half a dozen posts pointing out how it happens every time. Ad every time these posts get ignored.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 15, 2013 02:35 |  #104

hollis_f wrote in post #15933585external link
Because £12000 is the RRP and nobody with a brain will pay the RRP with their own money. By the end of the year the retailers will have extracted maximum profit from the people who want their new toy, and they want it now! By then the price will have dropped to around £9000.

It happens every time new gear is released. And every time people point out how unfair it is. And every time I make half a dozen posts pointing out how it happens every time. Ad every time these posts get ignored.

It will drop but I'd be genuinely surprised if it gets as low as £9000. The RRP of the 600II is £11300 and it still retails for £10600. The most any of the new II lenses has shed is £1700 and that's for the 400II which is (probably) down to limited demand. The others have only dropped around £1000 and they've been out for 2 years(?)

flickr (external link)

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010
May 15, 2013 04:45 |  #105

A year after it's launch, the 500mm II is down to 85% of RRP. The 400mm f2.8 (~2yrs) is down to 82%. After four years, the 800mm is down to 79%. 80% would put the 200-400 at £9.6k

Paul

sponsored links

36,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
200-400 f/4L IS 1.4X Announcement
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.