Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 00:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Please Post Your Billingham Bags!

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Joined Apr 2007
San Diego, CA
May 09, 2013 14:10 |  #1096

dxprofessional wrote in post #15915243external link
Did not know these bags essisted until I opened this heavenly thread. I've been using a Manhattan Portage messenger bag for my street walk equipment and for school.

Just ordered a Strap leather jouranl and a Hadley Pro (Khaki/Tan) for my D7K. I think I'm obssed since i found out about them. Read the whole 73 pages here XD. My wallet is crying but I can't wait!

You'll love the Hadley Pro!

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
andrewnarit
367 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
May 20, 2013 13:18 |  #1097

this is what my hadley small is carrying inside

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8542/8757594596_923cfb9917_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...s/andrewnarit/87575​94596/] (external link)
140 - 365 (external link) by andrewnarit (external link), on Flickr

FLICKRexternal link | 500pxexternal link
5D Mark II | 30D | S90 | X100s |
50 1.4 | 17-40 f4 L | 70-200 f2.8 L |

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
May 20, 2013 19:50 |  #1098

It's basically a pocketbook with a camera inside.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
May 21, 2013 18:28 |  #1099

Interesting how we carry stuff.
Trying to simplify my life, so I compromise with the gear I carry.

Either...Nikon d300s with 18-200vr attached. Somehow camera ends up with a grip on it, and my 70-300vr gets stashed in the bag.

Or I pack light. ..Oly OMD with grip and kit zoom. 40-150 gets stashed too.

Or lighter...Nikon1 V1 with 2 zooms.

I use a Maxpedition organizer to carry odd stuff I don't want to leave behind. I only have 2 Billy bags. Probably need another.

ps Used to have a profitable photo business. A has been now ;)

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
May 23, 2013 05:10 |  #1100

Here is a followup demonstrating the Hadley Pro's versatility. It was posted in another forum and brought here for this massive Billingham thread. The other forum is specifically about Micro 4/3 cameras.

Having gotten a second EM-5 body, I set about trying different combinations of bodies and lenses. The Billingham 107 and 307 handles dual bodies well. The Hadley Pro, however, handles it with bodies separated from lenses. No big deal. Because you can show up, mount the two lenses and enjoy carrying a light bag for the rest of the session.

Ready for gear. All hatches open.

IMAGE: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/_Savas/Billingham%20details/IMG_2240.jpg

Lower level gets filled.

IMAGE: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/_Savas/Billingham%20details/IMG_2242.jpg

Hatches down; ready for the next layer.

IMAGE: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/_Savas/Billingham%20details/IMG_2243.jpg

Upper level gets filled with gear.

IMAGE: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/_Savas/Billingham%20details/IMG_2244.jpg

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011
May 23, 2013 11:38 |  #1101

Savas K wrote in post #15959198 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

where did you get those lens protectors?

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
May 23, 2013 21:10 |  #1102

mafoo wrote in post #15959943external link
where did you get those lens protectors?

Those are Op-Tech hood hats. Comes in several sizes. Main job is to cover over your hood and lens in the field after you've removed a lens cap. Less fiddly to remove and reapply than a lens cap. Underbrush and whatnot won't stick into your lens. High wind-borne crap won't sandblast onto it if you're walking around. I started using them to hold a small lens in them, then started applying to front the intended way after carrying around double bodies and lenses in outdoor environments. I had a couple hood hats that laid around for years unused until I rediscovered them for Micro 4/3 gear. Then bought some more to fit my 75mm and 75-300mm hoods.

Alternatively with these you can stack lenses without intermediate pads; or kind of pile small lenses into a larger bag meant for larger lenses. Doing same with something like Lowepro lens cases works better for that, but it takes up a lot more room.

kcp1377
358 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 11, 2013 20:10 |  #1103

Ok guys. I need help. I'm jumping back into the film world and am loving my Hadley Pro for that gear (I carry a Hasselblad 500cm and Canon EOS3 along with a few lenses). I want something a little smaller for my Leica M3 with 50mm (no extra lenses - it's a very simple kit) but I can't decide whether to go with the Hadley small or digital. Or Ona Bowery. I need something that can carry the Leica (which is pretty small), 3-5 rolls of 35mm film and some personal odds and ends (phone, wallet, keys, etc...).

I'm just worried that I'll miss the front pockets that I adore on the Hadley pro if I go to the digital. I know the small has it, but if I'm carrying the small, wouldn't I just grab the pro (since it has the handle?) I've seen all the pictures and heard all the comparisons, but am still stuck. The Bowery doesn't have snap pockets either and I'm not sold on that clasp on the front (I love the buckles on the front of the pro - they make it so easy to work out of!) And if I get the digital, will I regret not being able to throw my P&S in there? I'm kind of talking myself into the small, but at the same time love my pro and don't want to have a $250 bag just sitting around not being used if I end up preferring the pro. What to do, what to do...

Kim ~ Shooting with full frame digital, medium format and 35mm film paired with some of the best glass available.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Jun 11, 2013 22:13 |  #1104

Kim check out www.rangefinderstore.c​omexternal link Rob is a rangefinder user, and a large format pro Photographer. He is a gentleman, who inspires other photographers.

I have had an M3 eons ago. I would likely go Hadley small, or L2. I have a Digital, and it is an incredible bag. Has a front pocket. Fits my OMD with grip attached, and a couple of Oly zoom lenses. Or my d300s with grip attached, and 18-200 VR, very snugly.

edit: fixed! thank you!

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

barfbaggs
Goldmember
1,351 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Atlanta, GA
Jun 11, 2013 23:11 |  #1105

2mnycars wrote in post #16022521external link
Kim check out www.rangefinerstore.co​mexternal link Rob is a rangefinder user, and a large format pro Photographer. He is a gentleman, who inspires other photographers.

I have had an M3 eons ago. I would likely go Hadley small, or L2. I have a Digital, and it is an incredible bag. Has a front pocket. Fits my OMD with grip attached, and a couple of Oly zoom lenses. Or my d300s with grip attached, and 18-200 VR, very snugly.

Your link is not working because you missed the "d" in rangefinder

kcp1377
358 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 12, 2013 05:36 |  #1106

Wonderful! Thank you! I'll talk to him. i am leaning toward picking up both a digital and small to see what works better. I just think I need to see the sizes in person.

Kim ~ Shooting with full frame digital, medium format and 35mm film paired with some of the best glass available.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Jun 12, 2013 05:38 |  #1107

barfbaggs wrote in post #16022640external link
Your link is not working because you missed the "d" in rangefinder

thank you! Fixed!

Rob S comments on each Billingham bags strong points on his site, primarily as a film user. He is an outstanding pro photographer, and traveller. He has gone far out of his way to answer questions I have had. I am just a simple photographer now, though I had a successful photo business. But that was long ago.

Dave

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Jun 12, 2013 05:46 |  #1108

kcp1377 wrote in post #16023150external link
Wonderful! Thank you! I'll talk to him. i am leaning toward picking up both a digital and small to see what works better. I just think I need to see the sizes in person.

Travel light! Digital! But use a pad on the strap. Billingham, or Domke Postal Pad recommended. I dropped my bag because the strap slid off my shoulder. shame on me.

Small if you are like me, and add odds and sods for the day's journey. Or wish to add a second camera body.

And the L2 has brass? feet on the bottom. Both my Black Billingham bags are salt stained from this winter's use. Misuse? ;)

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

kcp1377
358 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 12, 2013 08:49 |  #1109

See, now that just makes me want all 3. ;) I picked up the digital from ebay, so will wait a bit and save some more and grab the small. I'm just at the point where I have wasted so much on bags that I really didn't love that I want something I can rely on and not think about. I did get the pad with it. My pro is black/black and this one I ordered in the Sage fiberyte, so I'm hoping I like it. Then thinking about the small in either khaki or black with brown leather. My pro is my working film bag and can be dressed up a bit, so I like the idea of having smaller bags that are a little more relaxed looking.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Jun 12, 2013 20:09 |  #1110

Believe me, I understand!
I should have bought shares in LowePro when I started my business!
Billingham now.
Although I have more Think Tank bags than Billingham....

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

sponsored links

569,827 views & 28 likes for this thread
Please Post Your Billingham Bags!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.