Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 22 May 2013 (Wednesday) 15:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need CC on this sunset shot

Mrselfdestruct
646 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
May 22, 2013 15:35 |  #1

Took a sunset shot of three cars, it came out pretty bad. Angle was wrong, exposure was pretty bad but I cropped one car which by itself looks good IMO. Problem is... it's cropped so much that the IQ suffers from it. Tried my best to get it decent but I want some CC. I'm learning new things everyday and remembering old tricks as well since I've been absent from PS for several years so I need some good folks like you guys to point me in the right direction. I added full, original and orig. cropped links below so hopefully I can get some tips on exposing this kind of a shot in the future.

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img802/7820/resizedt.jpg

Full Size:

http://imageshack.us ...1/3653/bucknerspass​at.jpg (external link)

Original Picture:

http://imageshack.us/a​/img42/2806/originalzw​.jpg (external link)

Cropped:

http://imageshack.us/a​/img827/1936/buckneror​ig.jpg (external link)

EOF Canon 400D w/ Batt grip :: Novice
Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Complete Gear List
http://www.pbase.com/m​rselfdestructexternal link

sponsored links
picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Montana
May 22, 2013 17:40 |  #2

I can only view the Admin Version.....the other links are not to a pic.

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker pageexternal link

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

Mrselfdestruct
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Mar 2007
May 22, 2013 18:04 |  #3

I removed his version and posted these originals instead. I didn't want CC on his version or CC based upon his version after thinking about it. It's my picture and the only people I authorize to edit my images are POTN members so I'm just dismissing his version altogether since I was a bit upset about it at first.

Complete Gear List

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Montana
May 22, 2013 18:06 |  #4

ok the links work now..but you changed the original post and reworded it....I'm so glad I didn't reply with my first thoughts...they would of made no sense now. lol

The edit looks good.

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker pageexternal link

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Montana
May 22, 2013 18:09 |  #5

ahhhhh ok....whew.

I was going to add something about others editing your image without your knowledge...that would bug me as well.

The crop works well and you saved an image out of it. If the top one is your edit..you did a good job with it.

Mrselfdestruct
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Mar 2007
May 22, 2013 18:22 |  #6

picturepages wrote in post #15957965external link
ahhhhh ok....whew.

I was going to add something about others editing your image without your knowledge...that would bug me as well.

The crop works well and you saved an image out of it. If the top one is your edit..you did a good job with it.

Yeah. Sorry for confusing you, I also took it out because I didn't want to seem like I was calling someone out since he's my friend. He probably didn't know what he was doing. I'm sure we would all agree that editing someone else image and then posting it online without owners knowledge is annoying. :x

Thanks for the CC and yes, all the pics posted our mine now. I almost deleted the original RAW, glad I could pull something out of it.

Complete Gear List

rioni
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
May 22, 2013 18:22 |  #7

It's blurry, under exposed and tilted.

Mrselfdestruct
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Mar 2007
May 22, 2013 19:02 |  #8

rioni wrote in post #15958001external link
It's blurry, under exposed and tilted.

It maybe slightly tilted, but if you look at the original you'll notice all the new stadium poles in the background are straight up, the buildings are level, the power pole to the right is bent from age, and the curb behind the car is apart of a cul de sac, and the entire cul de sac is on an incline. So it's hard to tell what is actually level, and since the buildings and stadium lights are new, I figured they would be level. I think it's sort of an illusion. What do others think? Too tilted? I'm debating fixing it or leaving it because I'm unsure.

Blurry is mostly due to the crazy crop and stock XTI lens, and underexposed most defiantly. Where do you think I should have taken my light reading from? This was the reason I posted original. I read to meter the sky during sunset, but that made the cars silhouettes. I suck with camera settings, not going to lie. This was the only decent exposure of the scene that wasn't too dark or too blown out. How would one get this scene to expose the cars and the sky correctly without blowing out the sky or making the ground too dark?

Shot was taken at 0.3 seconds, F/10, ISO 200. About 20 minutes before complete darkness.

Thanks guys,

Shane

Complete Gear List

paul-t
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Oct 2007
The deep south, that's the deep south of England.
May 23, 2013 01:35 |  #9

There are different ways to get correct exposure. You could have popped a flash on and used fill flash,( the camera would then have balanced the exposure) you could have also put 2 flashes ether side of the outer cars, thus balancing the exposure(fired but slave's or flash triggers. Another way would have been to shoot the background/then from the same spot taken a shot exposing for the car/s. Then layer the two shots together in photoshop. For me the background is far to cluttered with buildings and trees growing out of the tops of the cars. Spend time finding good backgrounds note them down. Maybe a graffiti cover wall/building. Look thru mags etc they will give you idea's. Keep shooting, hope this helps a little.

Mrselfdestruct
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Mar 2007
May 24, 2013 03:02 |  #10

paul-t wrote in post #15959024external link
There are different ways to get correct exposure. You could have popped a flash on and used fill flash,( the camera would then have balanced the exposure) you could have also put 2 flashes ether side of the outer cars, thus balancing the exposure(fired but slave's or flash triggers. Another way would have been to shoot the background/then from the same spot taken a shot exposing for the car/s. Then layer the two shots together in photoshop. For me the background is far to cluttered with buildings and trees growing out of the tops of the cars. Spend time finding good backgrounds note them down. Maybe a graffiti cover wall/building. Look thru mags etc they will give you idea's. Keep shooting, hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't even think about using a flash. I try and avoid it but maybe I should try and learn when and when not to use it. I appreciate all the advice, it defiantly helps!

Complete Gear List

short_wave
664 posts
Joined Jan 2011
DFW
May 25, 2013 11:43 |  #11

Mrselfdestruct wrote in post #15958108 (external link)
Shot was taken at 0.3 seconds, F/10, ISO 200. About 20 minutes before complete darkness.

First off, good attempt at trying to save the photo. Doesn't look too bad at all.

Did you shoot RAW or JPEG? The images you provided were are all jpeg so the ability to save an image is limited due to the compression. Shooting in raw gives you more data to control and will help in the recovery process.

From the settings you used, maybe you can try shooting at a lower aperture/fstop to get more light in. When it's that dark you need all the light you can get. That way your shutter speed will be higher and it will aide in the keeping the cars in focus. Plus you shot into the sun vs using the sun to light your subjects. This may be due to the background not being what you wanted (personal preference).

Your ISO is fine as it will help with keeping the grain out of the image. Though, the lower your ISO is, the lower your Fstop has to be to compensate for light and a low shutter speed.

The best way to do a shot like this (dusk) is to put the camera on a tripod and use a longer exposure. You can set a timer on the camera so that you can press the shutter and remove your hand before the camera actually takes the image. This will eliminate any crooked images and shake (assuming your tripod is level!)

If you are not good with camera settings (no shame, we were all there once!), try to set the camera on Aperture Priority mode. This will allow you to set your own aperture while the camera will set the shutter speed for a good exposure. Your ISO will be set by you as well (200 ISO is a good starting point).

Keep Shooting! :)

BTW, here is a down and dirty attempt at saving your original image. Since it's jpeg I couldn't tweak too much since it would end up looking pretty baked. haha

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/8827520888_c33b860df8_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jaybeefoto/8827​520888/] (external link)
originalzw1 (external link) by jaybeefoto (external link), on Flickr

Feedback
www.john-benitez.com (external link)
insta: @johnbenitez

sponsored links

1,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need CC on this sunset shot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.