Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 18:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100-400 on Craigslist, help!

nightcat
Goldmember
4,511 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 16, 2012 05:29 |  #31

You better check out EVERYTHING when you meet. If there's anything you discover once you get home (front focusing, back focusing or worse), good luck getting a refund!

sponsored links
John_T
Goldmember
3,090 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 16, 2012 05:53 |  #32

...a little strange to inherit six bodies and one lens. Sounds more like a smash and dash from some poor camera store or pawn shop window. :D

The 100-400 comes with carrying case and hood included, so hood extra is strange too.

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 16, 2012 09:04 |  #33

John_T wrote in post #14273528 (external link)
...a little strange to inherit six bodies and one lens.

Actually the six bodies do have lenses listed with them.

I'm just wary of sellers claiming to have inherited goods or been given custody after a divorce proceeding...

Joel

Chris ­ Lokey
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 19, 2012 21:24 |  #34

met the guy today at starbucks...... lens was a 2003 copy, looked okay, some minor scratches on the body and a UV filter on the front that had signs of it either being dropped or banged off of something because there was a big dent and paint missing off of the filter rim. I couldn't even get the filter off nor could the seller, I assume the impact bent the threads. I told him no thanks at that point. I appreciate everyones help on here. Thanks again!!

40D | Canon 100-400L | Tamron 17-50 | Nifty-Fifty 1.8 II
my flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chrislokey (external link)

sambarino
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 20, 2012 02:59 as a reply to  @ Chris Lokey's post |  #35

I have bought and sold some expensive stuff through Craig's List. When selling I usually ask for a name, then Google that person. I am always up front about doing this. I just tell the buyer, "This is a big cash transaction." and basically ask, "Who are you?" Not always going to show a bad guy, but good guys will tell you, "Oh, I am a wedding photographer. Please check out my website." That is reassuring. Ditto on the public place. I prefer Starbucks. Lots of traffic and you can stay 15 minutes for the price of a cup of coffee.

When buying I give them my E-bay name. They can verify contact through e-bay and see that I actually do buy photo equipment regularly. It seems to help.

And $1250 for an 100-400L is a bit high. Canon sells them refurbed for $1359 with a warranty. I bought mine new because I wanted a longer warranty AND a NEW lens.

Good Luck!

irispatch
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 20, 2012 09:25 |  #36

Just to be sure that this is not a bunch of stolen equipment ask for a copy of the obituary.

Canon 50D, Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 20-35mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS and Kenko 1.4 TC :lol:
Gitzo G2228 with a Markins Q3, and assorted gadgets. :)
The Iris Patch

jmckayak
444 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Apr 20, 2012 14:58 |  #37

Smart move to walk away. The tripod ring should have been included but the smashed filter was a real deal breaker. Especially with a 100-400.
By used from POTN or refurb from Canon.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,818 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 20, 2012 15:30 |  #38

wow...there's a lot of paranoid people on this forum...

there's nothing strange about his listing...he's probably just basing the prices on what he sees on craigslist from others...typically craigslist has higher prices than here...and when the seller does a search he won't see the listings that were sold at lower prices because they would have been taken down...so he'll only see for the most part higher priced listings that are still there...asking to see an obituary is ridiculous...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

redtailfool
76 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2012 17:56 |  #39

Chris Lokey wrote in post #14295984 (external link)
met the guy today at starbucks...... lens was a 2003 copy, looked okay, some minor scratches on the body and a UV filter on the front that had signs of it either being dropped or banged off of something because there was a big dent and paint missing off of the filter rim. I couldn't even get the filter off nor could the seller, I assume the impact bent the threads. I told him no thanks at that point. I appreciate everyones help on here. Thanks again!!

Not to worry.. there will be other opportunities. The most important thing is that you are now armed with experience on how to go about CL transactions. :)

24-105 L | 35 L | 100-400 L| 50 1.8 MKII | 430 EX II | 5DC | 50D| My eye and soul :)

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 27, 2013 17:18 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

Move to England where it's safer?

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,728 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

May 27, 2013 17:20 |  #41

Chris Lokey wrote in post #14268073 (external link)
Thanks guys! I def plan to meet up somewhere public if this goes through. I still havent heard back yet from the seller after asking the questions. They want 1250 for it with the hood.

that's more than I would pay unless it is like new.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

May 27, 2013 17:45 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #42

This thread is over a year old. Craigslist listings would be gone. Plus the 100-400L is in his signature. He either bought it or bought or a different one. This thread

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

hcbph
91 posts
Joined May 2013

May 28, 2013 06:05 as a reply to  @ jimewall's post |  #43

I realize this is an old thread but some info may be useful regarding potentially stolen equipment being sold off CL. Get the serial number off the lens and check with the police. Then if you go see it, confirm the serial number you were given is the same. I have caught a couple of scams in the past, though no stolen gear and none of it was photo gear. Meet in a public place is good or better yet, go to the bank together (but drive separately) to get the money if you decide to purchase it. I've done that once on a big purchase and it worked out.

That's what I've done and it worked out for me.

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 28, 2013 07:36 |  #44

rwhardy wrote in post #14268672 (external link)
ask him what kind of gun he will be carrying so you can choose yours. every non kit lens i have i found on craigslist. i really do carry guns and i usually get to the location early and drive around to see my surroundings. don't tell the seller what you drive until he says he's at the meeting place, then ask him what he's driving. sounds paranoid but these days you just never know what extremes people will go to for money.

This kind of mentality is how George Zimmerman is going to get major jail time. I have bought and sold several CL items, some worth nearly $1,000. All deals are in cash, and in public. Also, don't tell or ask what the other guy is driving. If he is honest, it won't matter, if not he won't tell you. Arrange to meet inside. Leave the cars out of it.

Just so you know, I have a life-time permit to carry and concealed handgun; I am not an anti-gun nut. I am just not going to kill someone, or risk being killed in a gun-fight, over a pile of cash. That is a serious mid-judgment of priorities. I can get more money; pretty sure I only get one life. I have no desire to lose it over a pile of paper, or spend the rest of it locked in a cell.

To the OP: Arrange to meet in a Starbucks or some other public place. Tell the seller up front that you are bringing a camera and a laptop to test out the lens, and that you may need 15-20 minutes to do so. If he balks, or rushes you when you get there, just walk away.

Also, if the deal is too good to be true, don't even consider meeting. The lens is either broken, or stolen. I saw a local CL ad for an EF 600mm f/4 for $800. I don't need a broken lens, and don't want a stolen one. Responding to ad like that is just plain stupid. Taking a gun with you would net you either some jail time, or a casket, depending on the outcome. Voluntarily taking a gun into a situation where you can reasonably expect a confrontation is just plain stupid. Avoid the confrontation.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 28, 2013 07:40 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

NeutronBoy wrote in post #14267210 (external link)
Make sure you meet somewhere safe. That's a lot of cash and you want to be sure you are not taken.

always meet in public place, like busy starbucs or similar place.

Gear List

sponsored links

7,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
100-400 on Craigslist, help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.