Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 25 May 2013 (Saturday) 21:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Skateboard+Speedlight+Long Exposure

NomadMark
52 posts
Joined Feb 2012
May 25, 2013 21:33 |  #1

A few from a a couple of skate shoots a while back.

7D
70-200mm 2.8
430EX II

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8550492826_e225510481_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8426/7730637268_e58bceb9d4_c.jpg

5Dmk2
8-15mm

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7834912344_40d6cdd1ed_c.jpg

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Milutiche
Joined Jul 2010
Whangarei, New Zealand
May 26, 2013 02:36 |  #2

cool shots, #2 looks weird but awesome, it looks like a composite but im guessing it's not

www.actionimages.net.n​z (external link)
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Flickr (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Emerald Coast, FL
May 26, 2013 23:02 |  #3

First 2 are nice but he should have been facing you.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lostexternal link
Gear list and some feedback

NomadMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2012
May 27, 2013 08:00 |  #4

ChunkyDA wrote in post #15970819external link
First 2 are nice but he should have been facing you.

I'm not sure how much you know about skateboarding, or skateboard photography, but these guys generally face one way or the other. Robby here, skates left leg in the back, and that's it. I'm sure he can skate switch, but most don't do it as well. I'm sure I could have asked him to face me...and for something with a 15ft fall should he fail, he would probably laugh at me. I might as well ask you to do it in that case. Facing me, was not an option. I could have walked around to the other side I guess, but there would be no ocean or city scape, just rock in the background.

Would have been nice to shoot with someone who skates the other way that evening as well, but it never panned out that way. Most people would never attempt this in the dark either...it's quite dangerous as it is in daylight.

And no, not a composite, though I see why you would say that now, for #2. But, the background and foreground to belong together!

flickr (external link)

Aressem
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Vancouver, BC
May 27, 2013 10:02 |  #5

Well executed. While the first image is my favorite, I wish you were a little lower for perspective sake. That way he would have cleared the horizon and popped even more!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

bboowwyy
253 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Sydney, AU
May 28, 2013 02:12 as a reply to Aressem's post |  #6

Good ideas, but for the most part, i think the composition is slightly off.

unistudent1962
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Brisbane QLD Australia
May 28, 2013 03:53 |  #7

Nice shots Mark.
Would you like to share your technique with us?

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS l EF 70-200 f4L IS l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

NomadMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2012
May 28, 2013 07:29 |  #8

Thanks for the critique - I agree the composition could certainly use a little work.

Technique?

I was set up on a tripod, a fair ways back, using a 70-200mm. Speedlight off camera held by another guy (you can see his arm in the second shot), very close to the skateboarde, set to full powerr and triggered by the on board flash on my 7D.

There was a fair amount of PP in the end, to bring out detail in the foreground, and in the skateboarder himself, as he was a little faded because of the shutter speed. It was tricky to do...I'm not much of a strobist, that's for sure. So, any and all advise and critique is welcome.

flickr (external link)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Robinson, Texas
May 28, 2013 07:51 |  #9

nice stuff

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

gosundevils
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010
NYC
May 28, 2013 07:56 |  #10

NomadMark wrote in post #15971578external link
I'm not sure how much you know about skateboarding, or skateboard photography, but these guys generally face one way or the other. Robby here, skates left leg in the back, and that's it. I'm sure he can skate switch, but most don't do it as well. I'm sure I could have asked him to face me...and for something with a 15ft fall should he fail, he would probably laugh at me. I might as well ask you to do it in that case. Facing me, was not an option. I could have walked around to the other side I guess, but there would be no ocean or city scape, just rock in the background.

Would have been nice to shoot with someone who skates the other way that evening as well, but it never panned out that way. Most people would never attempt this in the dark either...it's quite dangerous as it is in daylight.

And no, not a composite, though I see why you would say that now, for #2. But, the background and foreground to belong together!

Facing you *is* an option, as you are the photographer. There are ways to not get butt shots – which are generally viewed as unforgivable sins in the skate photography world. It's up to you to make interesting photography out of what you're given, and I can tell you right now that a butt shot is the furthest thing from interesting photography.

If you want that shot with the background so much, bring a buddy who skates regular.

5DmkII – 50 1.4 USM – 28 1.8 USM
full gear list
flickrexternal link
www.osephj.comexternal link

NomadMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2012
May 29, 2013 00:06 |  #11

gosundevils wrote in post #15974881external link
Facing you *is* an option, as you are the photographer. There are ways to not get butt shots – which are generally viewed as unforgivable sins in the skate photography world. It's up to you to make interesting photography out of what you're given, and I can tell you right now that a butt shot is the furthest thing from interesting photography.

If you want that shot with the background so much, bring a buddy who skates regular.

Not an option when photographing Robby Ryan popping a nollie over this particular gap...which is what I was there to do. This wasn't my shoot, sorry pal, it was Robby's, and I framed it up in a way that suited/pleased him. While I agree that I would rather have someone facing me, I was there to shoot Robby, and Robby only. Not to mention finding folks who want to throw themselves over this gap after dark is a rarity. I've popped over it myself, and it's rough with a very short take of and landing...complete sketch. I'll put it out there also that I'm an amateur photographer, and I am a skateboarder too, have been for about 18 years. I've had small sponsorships, I've skated contests, and I've had a ton of fun skating street...and I still have a huge love for it, even though life doesn't provide the time to do it near enough anymore. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not a skateboard photographer. Heck, I won't even make the claim I'm a good photographer for that matter. This was about "the buddy", and the backdrop he wanted. And, this did the trick for him. And, I like it. And, I wanted to share it, for anyone who might find it interesting to look at. Or offer up constructive criticism. I am a learner, after all.

I'll accept you don't like the photo however; that doesn't fuss me too much. I enjoyed taking it, and the fact that is was published/printed in a skateboard/lifestyle mag keeps me please enough.

http://knowshow.ca/kno​wmagexternal link
vol2, issue2
you can check it out online, and you could have gotten a copy from any good skate shop in Canada.

If I may, I will also comment on your approach posting here. Looking back, my comment "I'm not sure how much you know about skateboarding, or skateboard photography..." probably set you off right? Perhaps I sounded a bit...superior, like a know it all...which wasn't the intent. I think I went on to explain myself well...no? To the point that I was shooting with Robby...no one else? How the reg/goofy thing works? No? I was really trying to get the point across that this isn't like moving around a model...because some people might assume it is! Either way, I find you a little...sharp tongued. Or am I off base here? I'm just sharing a picture, just like anyone else. Is it really necessary to go so far, as to tell anyone what is, and isn't, interesting photography? I mean, if that's your deal, cool, have at it I guess. I just find it a little rude.

flickr (external link)

Milutiche
Joined Jul 2010
Whangarei, New Zealand
May 29, 2013 02:04 |  #12

I actually don't mind the fact that it's a "Butt shot" its an awesome set, Interesting? Hell Yes, the water in that second shot looks almost like concrete and is still buzzing me out

www.actionimages.net.n​z (external link)
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Flickr (external link)

skwirnmn
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011
May 29, 2013 14:59 |  #13

gosundevils wrote in post #15974881external link

... That's not the point of this photo.

Great shots, I think a small remedy to the butt angle would be to shoot from higher up or from a lower angle. Lower doesn't seem very practical as you'd loose the ocean/city, higher up would mean you'd need a wider lens and you'd loose the sky/framing the skater how you framed him.

All and all, I think you did an excellent job, it would have been great if Robby skated this switch, but seeing how there isn't much run up, and that ground looks rough as hell, I don't see that being a possibility. Along with that 15 foot drop you mentioned.

You could have prevented the hand being cut off in the third photo, though it's a bit more difficult to redo while shooting long exposures in the dark. haha

jeantro
Joined May 2012
May 29, 2013 15:29 |  #14

very nice photo

just a question which mode you use with your 430 EX II to take this photo (to combine long exposure with action) ?

http://ylphotographie.​com

gosundevils
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010
NYC
May 30, 2013 07:56 |  #15

NomadMark wrote in post #15978130external link
If I may, I will also comment on your approach posting here. Looking back, my comment "I'm not sure how much you know about skateboarding, or skateboard photography..." probably set you off right? Perhaps I sounded a bit...superior, like a know it all...which wasn't the intent. I think I went on to explain myself well...no? To the point that I was shooting with Robby...no one else? How the reg/goofy thing works? No? I was really trying to get the point across that this isn't like moving around a model...because some people might assume it is! Either way, I find you a little...sharp tongued. Or am I off base here? I'm just sharing a picture, just like anyone else. Is it really necessary to go so far, as to tell anyone what is, and isn't, interesting photography? I mean, if that's your deal, cool, have at it I guess. I just find it a little rude.

I wouldn't say anything set me off – these are simply words on a screen. I understand it's not like shooting a model – I've been skating for 12 years and have been shooting skate photography for 7 of them and if we're going to use "publish cred" as a way of comparing eachother, I've been published in Thrasher numerous times back in my 1D and fisheye days. I think you read into my comments as negative, which they aren't at all, just a form of "constructive criticism" like you asked for when posting the photo. I'm blunt, yes, but I don't see the point in saying "cool photo, but…", and making excuses for a less-than-stellar photo by saying "I couldn't have… [Blah blah]" is a little lame – it's your job as the photographer to make the shot as awesome as you can. Is this as awesome as possible? No. If you think that's bad, you should've been on SkatePerception a few years ago – yikes. EIther way, think about how much better this shot would've been if you could see the dude's face, the way his knees and feet are interacting with the position of the board; all of this essentially giving an identity to the subject… and then maybe come back to this and shoot a frontside/backside flip. Also, frame him in the sky! You got so close!

5DmkII – 50 1.4 USM – 28 1.8 USM
full gear list
flickrexternal link
www.osephj.comexternal link

sponsored links

5,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
Skateboard+Speedlight+Long Exposure
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.