Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 03 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 19:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Airshow photographers

danjama
326 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Romford, England
Mar 03, 2013 19:00 |  #1

Hello everyone, i've been shooting a few airshows on a budget Canon zoom lens with my t3i with mixed results. The photos can be seen on my flickr. But while at my last show of 2013, I realised that 300mm was actually a bit long in many cases. I also felt distracted by the ability to zoom. I also noticed that the lens was almost continuously focused to infinity. This all got me thinking.

I started thinking about some of the old m42 primes that can be had for peanuts, and how useful such a lens would be for airshows. Much of my shooting was done on the tank bank at DX, where I think something like a 200mm prime would be wonderful. Stick it on infinity, frame the bird, and concentrate on a smooth pan. Hopefully the weight of such a lens would also help to stabilise it.

So, am I completely insane? Does anyone else use an old prime lens for shooting aircraft? Are there any cons that i'm missing, before I start going nuts on ebay, in anticipation of the airshow season?

:D

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/danjamafotos/external link
Canon T3i Gripped/100-300 4.5-5.6 USM/28-80 3.5-5.6/35-105 4.5-5.6 USM/18-55 3.5-5.6 IS/Helios 44-2 Manual/Miranda 28mm 2.8

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,065 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 03, 2013 20:14 |  #2

Are there any cons that i'm missing,

We used to do that, but our focusing screens were made for visual focusing. Some DSLRs have optional screens, & maybe someone else can make a recommendation, but for now I have to move this to T. Talk.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,531 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Mar 03, 2013 22:59 |  #3

One of the best lens for airshows is the 100-400 if you are on a budget. I now shoot with my 70-200mm with a 1.4x converter. I can tell the difference in the sharpness between the 100-400 and 70-200mm. Just something to look at.

PhotosGuy
75,065 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 04, 2013 10:08 |  #4

More: Manual focus screens

20D focus screen

How do I adjust 5D focus screen position?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

WingsofFury
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Toronto
May 26, 2013 10:08 |  #5

I recently started shooting with a 300 F4.0 with a 1.4x TC and wouldn't change it for anything except for a 2.8 300 with that same TC.

And that's after using the 100-400.

Attila P.

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010
May 27, 2013 11:55 |  #6

I think it depends on what you want to shoot. If you are doing formation flying with 4+ planes then the 300mm (480mm on t3i) might be a little tight at times.

The last airshow I shot was with a full frame camera and 600mm at show center and fit a f-16 nicely!

The best long zoom that is affordable is the 100-400mm. It's odd to get use to and clunky but good results can be had.

Shooting real tight while tracking a plane can seem impossible at first but once you get use to it the images are tons better then shooting loose then cropping.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​mexternal link || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtriversexternal link

MrMitch
Joined Apr 2013
Melbourne, Australia
May 29, 2013 20:48 |  #7

When I shoot airshows I find the 70-200 is great, if I'm not getting close enough I'll chuck the 1.4x on it and that usually works.

Mitch
Trying to make a commercial passenger jet mega-thread: http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=15968272#post15​968272

hcbph
90 posts
Joined May 2013
Minnesota
Jun 02, 2013 07:01 as a reply to MrMitch's post |  #8

I used to shoot airshows with all prime lens on the high end (200mm & 400mm) along with a short zoom when I was only shooting film. Though I got excellent shots, it was difficult to get 'that shot' with a prime if you weren't in that perfect position. I got a digital body last year and I just picked up a 120-400mm zoom recently to go along with it. I'm hoping this will open up some photo options I've lacked previously, I'm going to a airshow in about 5 weeks so I'll see if I'm right or not.

sponsored links

1,879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airshow photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.