Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 19 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Formula Drift Kit

NYNCTC
604 posts
Joined May 2009

May 06, 2013 20:16 |  #16

I have been covering FD for 3 years now and have been using basically the same set up all 3 years:

Canon 7D
Canon 70-200F/4L Non-IS
Canon 24-70F/4L IS

And as of last year, Canon 135F/2L

Here is a photo from each:
70-200F/4L

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7250/7555950444_f14dbdbd57_c.jpg

24-105L
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7114/7555950160_dcce15c07e_c.jpg

135L
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7555952920_2cfdc7b3e9_c.jpg

I would love to have a bigger set up, but I have learned how to use my gear and have no need for anything different.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
adwolfe12
72 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2013 22:37 |  #17

I'm jealous of all the FD talk. I need to work on getting myself a media credential.:oops:

Alex

5D2, 35L, 70-200L II
Flickr (external link)

korisnatcher
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 15, 2013 21:41 |  #18

Not to thread jack...

Speaking about media credential...how would someone go about getting one?

I've went twice to FD before in PBIR and just now decided to bring my camera
Thinking of going this year to take pictures with the t4i and 70-200 f/4 and the 50 f1.8.

Any way to get better spots to shoot from instead of the bleachers?

Anyone going this year to round 3? :D

drewl
466 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 15, 2013 23:52 as a reply to  @ korisnatcher's post |  #19

you have to work for a team or an approved media outlet (newspaper, big enough website, etc)

there's a link at the bottom of formulad.com

i'll be there in florida. it'll be the 26th round i've been to...lol

korisnatcher
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2013 08:01 |  #20

drewl wrote in post #15936701 (external link)
you have to work for a team or an approved media outlet (newspaper, big enough website, etc)

there's a link at the bottom of formulad.com

i'll be there in florida. it'll be the 26th round i've been to...lol

hahaha so i definitely won't be getting one.
Guess I'll be going to take pictures for fun >:D

Will you be in the media section?

icacphotography
612 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2013 08:16 |  #21

I've been doing motorsports shooting myself over the last few years. I use the gear in my sig but I don't shoot FD though I wish they had it in my area as it's a neat racing format. I primarly shoot IHRA drag racing events at Toronto motorsports park in Canada. With drag racing being set up the way it is it's an ideal enviroment even for a basic setup like mine as I can simply set my camera to Tv mode and continous shooting and set the the shutter to be relatively high speed for catching launches or relatively low if I'm taking shots like one I posted a while back of a waterboxing SS car where the back tires had motion blur and it really worked well.

Getting a media pass for me was easy seeing as my uncle had a friend running in another class that wanted photos for his website and such so I shot those and then once that was done I was able to roam the staging lanes and I got a couple great shots standing about 100 feet back from the main track shooting my 70-210 with a converter on it for reach. I could if I'd wanted stood right on the line crouched down in front of the christmas tree but I value my gear and my safety too much to risk it.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

drewl
466 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 16, 2013 13:52 |  #22

korisnatcher wrote in post #15937337 (external link)
Will you be in the media section?

yep, whenever cars are on track, i'll be in the trenches.

icacphotography wrote in post #15937377 (external link)
Getting a media pass for me was easy seeing as my uncle had a friend running in another class.

i don't know anything about IHRA but that would usually fall under the category of working for a team. that's always easier than trying to get in as media.

it doesn't matter how good you are or how experienced you are or how awesome your gear is, racing series need a good trade off for letting you go to a dangerous area. it's not worth the risk if you're not showing your work and promoting the series to a large audience. simple as that. and in the case of FD, the trenches are just getting way too crowded so they're denying the smaller outlets and single-event local guys a lot more aggressively now.

korisnatcher
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 04, 2013 19:57 |  #23

So Formula Drift was fun (Round 3/June 1st) My first chance to do any Motorsports photography. It was fun, but challenging. Getting the cars in focus was a pain. (I went in with my t4i along with the 55-250 kit lens and the 50 1.8) I was having trouble with exposure since the clouds were bi-polar. If you're from south florida, you would know lol. So I threw it into auto ISO.

Here are my shots. I take all respectful criticism. My post processing could be better. But here you go!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/8928824852_78cb879795_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5463/8954649780_df99367a87_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8535/8954649278_131f3d1dc3_b.jpg

PS. I hate the damn gate. T_T

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 05, 2013 15:23 |  #24

I was going to ask, back to the OP, why do you feel the need for the full frame body? The 7D is one the best out there, almost as if it was designed for motorsports. The crop sensor gives you extra reach on the teles, and the speed is amazing.

About the only way to match that speed in full frame is the 1Dx, but you can buy several 7Ds for that price.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses
http://veritasimageryn​w.smugmug.com/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/VeritasImageryNW?ref​=hlexternal link

Lafayette ­ Britto ­ Photo
205 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 10, 2013 17:42 |  #25

I currently have a 5d Mk2 (not ideal for motorsports) but I make it work, I shoot some of the local drift events and have shot PBIR this year (as a expectator)... hopefully next year i will link up with a team and shoot in the field. The 5d mk2 is a great camera and i work with it because it's what i have, however coming from a d700 nikon.... the nikon was much better at nailing the focus, specially at night. I have never used the 1d but I know a lot of people that shoot FD that are using 7d's and they love it so definitely look into that.

Hey Koris, I was out there as well but from the completely opposite side from you shooting from the top of the stands by the judges

My coverage from the stands
http://lafayettebritto​.com/formuladriftpbir/ (external link)

I am looking into testing out a 7d and seeing how that works compared to my 5d during drifting.

www.lafayettebritto.co​m (external link)

drewl
466 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 11, 2013 21:46 as a reply to  @ Lafayette Britto Photo's post |  #26

7d is a billion times better than 5d2 for shooting motorsports.

but 5d2 has better image quality.

whatever you do, don't test out a 1DX. you'll never want to use anything else.

sponsored links

3,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
Formula Drift Kit
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.