Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 21 May 2013 (Tuesday) 18:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

track wanted free photos. yea right

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 05, 2013 16:38 |  #16

aphphoto wrote in post #16003303 (external link)
If it's the track I think it is then he's listed as a sponsor :rolleyes: which means he's donating his services. The "owner" is a husband/wife team who are leasing the track from the actual owner. They probably don't know how things are done and don't care - they just know they need pics to promote the place and they don't want to pay for them.

We may be talking about different things. The OP is talking about a track wanting free pictures. I was talking about an organizer that has a "staff photographer" that trades free photos for track time, and they want me to give them free photos as well but without any compensation.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses
http://veritasimageryn​w.smugmug.com/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/VeritasImageryNW?ref​=hlexternal link

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 06, 2013 13:33 |  #17

So, after having a discussion with the organizer I was talking about earlier, and their photographer (who would love to have me out there shooting, the organizer still wants something from me in return for access. Even though the food vendors aren't required to pay them, they want me to because I'm "profiting off them". He basically hinted at "donating" a percentage of my sales back to them. Any thoughts or ideas.

Funny thing, even the organizer kept telling me that my pictures were heads above their guy's, but he's willing to give away all his stuff for free. I mean, he posted almost 800 pictures that were available for FREE download. That's thousands of dollars to me, and all he's getting back is some track time (which they charge $165 for). And the other thing is that their photographer really wants me out there to help him get better, and so that he has the opportunity to have pictures when he's out on track.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 06, 2013 18:13 |  #18

veritasimagerynw wrote in post #16006084 (external link)
Even though the food vendors aren't required to pay them, they want me to because I'm "profiting off them".

Are you sure about that? The food vendors are almost certainly paying a fee to be there or the track owns the stands and employs the food workers. Very unlikely that they are selling food and drink at a profit without the track getting a piece of it one way or another.
At a major event like ALMS or Grand-Am a vendor is paying several thousand dollars to be there for the weekend.

As for "profiting off them" - where would your sales come from if not from the access the track is giving you?
I'm sorting of treading carefully here because in the series I go to you can't sell your work without buying photo rights from the series organizers so I'm not used to dealing with a track that wants something in return.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 07, 2013 00:24 |  #19

aphphoto wrote in post #16006909 (external link)
Are you sure about that? The food vendors are almost certainly paying a fee to be there or the track owns the stands and employs the food workers. Very unlikely that they are selling food and drink at a profit without the track getting a piece of it one way or another.
At a major event like ALMS or Grand-Am a vendor is paying several thousand dollars to be there for the weekend.

As for "profiting off them" - where would your sales come from if not from the access the track is giving you?
I'm sorting of treading carefully here because in the series I go to you can't sell your work without buying photo rights from the series organizers so I'm not used to dealing with a track that wants something in return.

This is a much smaller, local track that is in only it's second year and primarily deals with track day organizers and a couple club events. The food vendors (mobile trucks) are actually acquaintances of the owners and I know that, from talking with the owners that, like with their working with me, they are really into promoting small local businesses. They make their money off the organizations renting the facility and not really the other vendors that are providing services at the events.

And what's interesting is that this particular organizer told me, when I asked about whether they were expecting "donations" from the food vendors, he told me no, that they were a service provided by the track and that when they are at one of the other tracks in the area they have to actually pay food vendors to come to the event. Which is really strange, and nothing I have ever heard of.

Kevin

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
track wanted free photos. yea right
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.