Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

mark III David Busch or other Guide?

Frugaltravelguy
154 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 12, 2012 19:59 |  #1

Not sure if its been asked before but what guide do you guys recommend and why david Busch seems popular in general but what about Canon 5D Mark III Experience by Douglas Klostermann or other guides?

For Sale: B+W 67mm UV Haze Slim MRC 010M Filter
Travel Camera system (external link) I The Frugal Traveler's Guide (external link)

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,771 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 12, 2012 21:39 |  #2

Why one needs a guide to use a camera, never understood it. I have seen folks buy stuff like what custom functions for xyz 1 series camera from these experts.

AF is the most complex part and canon videos clearly explain all that.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 12, 2012 21:47 |  #3

i like the Busch books, got a couple of them here. my only complaint is the size and not being available for an e-reader. They're hard to travel with, having them in e-book format would make that a lot easier.

Yno
861 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 13, 2012 09:00 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #4

bobbyz, some of us just like to read - we can't have a camera in our hands 100% of the time. I have been a voracious reader all my life, and I enjoy books about cameras and photography. Do I really need a guide? No, but I do like going through them. David Busch does a good job with his guides, except for timing..... I preordered the Mk III guide from Amazon in May, and I have been sent around four notices of delay. I think the current expected date is March 2013, a full year after the camera was released. Same thing happened with the 7D book, although not quite as long a wait. I agree that it would be nice to have an e-reader version available, but I would still buy the hard copy.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

larrycumba
311 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 13, 2012 10:35 |  #5

I like the Busch books. Always recommend them. Thank you for mentioning the other author. I haven't bought the 5D mark III book yet. I will look at the other one in the op's thread.

mnphotos
749 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2012 13:06 as a reply to  @ larrycumba's post |  #6

It looks like the publication date for the David Busch 5D MIII book is March 26, 2013.

I also like his books and recommend them when asked about what book to get. It's a lot easier than reading the camera manual, although not a replacement for it. They both serve their purposes and go hand in hand.

djkmann
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 12, 2013 14:05 as a reply to  @ mnphotos's post |  #7

There are some previous discussions of the "other" guide shown below, if you wish to see some others' (positive) reaction to it:

http://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1292720

and

http://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1273489

Picturing Change blog (external link)
my Images (external link)

Cessna ­ Pilot
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 12, 2013 14:33 |  #8

I think it's fairly evident that most manuals for most activities are well understood only by the manuals' writers, if that.

I bought several 5DIII books and found them individually to be more useful on various topics than the others. I sometimes need to read something complicated written by more than one writer to get it. Making the most of the 5DIII autofocus, for example, takes some study.

Downloading the books for iPad or Kindle is cheaper and faster than the paper versions.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2013 14:58 as a reply to  @ Cessna Pilot's post |  #9

I intended to buy the Busch book on the 5D3 based on my prior experiences with his books on the 40D and 7D. However, for some reason, the publication has been extensively delayed and the book is still not available on Amazon. Anyway, to make a long story short, I ended up getting the Klostermann eBook instead. While the Busch book is good and goes into some detail about the various functions and settings, it is really more of an extended owner's guide. The Klostermann eBook discusses much of the same thing, however, he also makes recommendations for settings for the intermediate to advanced user. Personally, I found these to be helpful in the intial stages of learning the camera. I also like the fact I can read it on my iPad, and that it is possible for the author to update his eBooks, such as when the 1.2.1 Firmware upgrade came out.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,771 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 12, 2013 21:54 |  #10

BTW - What do these eBooks/Books say that is not in the two canon 5dmk3/1dx AF documents?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 13, 2013 05:25 |  #11

bobbyz wrote in post #16025952 (external link)
BTW - What do these eBooks/Books say that is not in the two canon 5dmk3/1dx AF documents?

Sometimes there is not a whole lot of difference. It's often more about "readability" and user examples. Some manuals and tech papers read like boring engineering specs. The better authors lay things out in a more flowing and enjoyable format.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Pjay
619 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2013 07:19 |  #12

The Douglas Klostermann eBook is very useful for explanations regarding the benefits or otherwise of settings options of the more advanced functions. The factory manual gives very basic instructions about the 'how', but Klostermann expands on that plus includes well written explanations of the 'why'.

Gear List
Flickr (external link) http://instagram.com/p​ixels_n_film (external link)
'Photography is a love affair with life.' Burk Uzzle

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,889 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 13, 2013 07:30 |  #13

One key difference between an eBook version and a paper copy is the eBook version is electronically searchable. With paper, you are pretty much limited to the index.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2013 07:35 |  #14

sapearl wrote in post #16026636 (external link)
Sometimes there is not a whole lot of difference. It's often more about "readability" and user examples. Some manuals and tech papers read like boring engineering specs. The better authors lay things out in a more flowing and enjoyable format.

Exactly. Both have their purpose and place. The engineer in me likes the Canon manual as I just wants the fact and don't need someone to digest it for me. But, I do like the books as they tend to show examples that you can't see in a manual. I've never felt the need to pick up a book after my first DSLR, but I do browse them if walking into a bookstore.

Besides, books are good for reading when on the crapper. :p

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,771 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 13, 2013 08:25 |  #15

Canon manuals are just typical manual I agree but the two 5dmk3/1dx documents with video are pretty easy to follow IMHO and explain things quite nicely.

sponsored links

3,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
mark III David Busch or other Guide?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.