Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Jun 2013 (Monday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jun 18, 2013 13:38 |  #31

joonrhee wrote in post #16042501external link
I told them to write down my CPS Gold membership number on the tech note to expedite the process, but was informed that there will be no real benefits for having CPS on service advisories. Oh well..

I'm sure it'll be back in your hands by Thursday latest. When I dropped of my 200L on a Monday morning. I got it back in my pudgy hands by Wednesday morning. I was told it could take up to a week to service it. Irvine's usually pretty good.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jun 19, 2013 06:30 |  #32

auto-clicker wrote in post #16042434external link
Just checked mine BOO I have a "6", just got mine a couple of weeks ago? maybe i'll get a new body?!? That's if I send it in:rolleyes:

Here in Canada ...EH!

My next system will be a Nikon :)

And the fanboys talk sh*t about Nikon's issues. I'm subscribing to bookmark this issue so I can slap it in someone's face! :lol:;) Honestly, it doesn't sound as bad compared to when I was affected during the 1D MK III AF issue.

auto-clicker
760 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Jun 19, 2013 06:51 |  #33

1Dx rumoured to be replaced late 2014 early 2015:p

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jun 19, 2013 06:57 |  #34

auto-clicker wrote in post #16044651external link
1Dx rumoured to be replaced late 2014 early 2015:p

Don't hold your breath. It took Canon almost a year to release this body. ;):lol:

gandini
POTN's April Fool!
680 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Jun 19, 2013 10:39 |  #35

Having sent my 1DX in yesterday I liken this Service Notice to a car manufacturer's recall. They discover a problem in a sample of units, there's a chance it might occur in other units, not necessarily all. They recall every unit and perform the precautionary modification/repair. Now they are almost certain the problem will not occur in the future.
It's possible my camera would never show this problem (mechanical wear due to insufficient lubrication, particles affecting AF performance, etc...) but once I get it back from Canon, I'll be pretty sure it won't. Other problems maybe, but this one---no.
Seems to me Canon is doing what it should, just as car manufacturers do all the time with model recalls. Doesn't seem to adversely affect those manufacturers, so why should it affect Canon?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Jun 19, 2013 12:12 |  #36

Pete W wrote in post #16041370external link
6th digit from left or right. If we talk numerically then from the right or are we talking litrarcy and from the left.

From the right I am ok from the left I am affected

I was wondering the same thing.

Did anybody compare the battery compartment with the two pictures in the notice to see if the camera is really affected?

...Leo

joonrhee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,749 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Southern California
Jun 19, 2013 12:39 |  #37

PacAce wrote in post #16045494external link
I was wondering the same thing.

Did anybody compare the battery compartment with the two pictures in the notice to see if the camera is really affected?

I counted from the left. Since the notice was intended for US and we normally read from our left, I assumed the sixth digit was from the left. I also checked the battery compartment and there were no marks.

When I dropped it off at Canon Irvine, clerk checked for the same things (serial number and battery compartment markings). I think we can assume the sixth digit is from the left.

a7RII • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Jun 19, 2013 13:31 |  #38

joonrhee wrote in post #16045547external link
I counted from the left. Since the notice was intended for US and we normally read from our left, I assumed the sixth digit was from the left. I also checked the battery compartment and there were no marks.

When I dropped it off at Canon Irvine, clerk checked for the same things (serial number and battery compartment markings). I think we can assume the sixth digit is from the left.

I called the Canon Service Center and they confirmed what you thought, that it's counted from the left and it does include any leading zeroes you may have. But the real test is to check the battery compartment for an "A" or a black spot where indicated in the service notice.

...Leo

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Sawbridgeworth, Herts. UK
Jun 19, 2013 13:40 |  #39

UPS picking mine up tomorrow (Thursday) Service Center Rep (UK) said 2 day turn around and should be back Tuesday (not working weekend)

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS
My Gear List
My Websiteexternal link

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Jun 19, 2013 15:32 as a reply to Pete W's post |  #40

Mine has a hand-painted white dot in the battery compartment (but no 'A"). I've emailed CPS (UK) to see if this means the work has been done but I was wondering if anyone here had already checked?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Jun 19, 2013 15:47 |  #41

White dot does not count for this,
It will need checking if in serial number range...

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS
My Gear List
My Websiteexternal link

auto-clicker
760 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Jun 19, 2013 16:49 |  #42

Canadians FYI

Gold CPS 6 days target
Platinum CPS 4 days target

No ­ One
366 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Philippines
Jun 20, 2013 00:46 as a reply to auto-clicker's post |  #43

I'm from the Philippines and checked with Canon,Philippines and so far,they still don't any advisory regarding this issue.

kouasupra
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Fresno/Clovis, CA
Jun 20, 2013 01:03 |  #44

Does anybody know if its a mandatory service?

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Jun 20, 2013 01:31 |  #45

kouasupra wrote in post #16047462external link
Does anybody know if its a mandatory service?

It is an advisory notice with a foc check and repair if required.

As it is FOC including postage (via UPS in UK) I would take up the offer, better safe than sorry.

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS
My Gear List
My Websiteexternal link

sponsored links

41,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.