Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Jun 2013 (Monday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice

aliengin
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Jul 08, 2013 16:25 |  #166

LincsRP wrote in post #16099508external link
It is strange that so many own a 1DX but haven't come forward as to having the problem.

Have any of those who have posted had a problem?

Google it. You will see hundreds of forum posts from all around the world about dirty sensor and oil but not a single thing about what is described in the service advisory.
I think they found it before it caused a serious problem but the workaround they are doing is actually doing more damage to us.
80-90% of the users are professionals, I really do not want to worry about oil in my photos when I upload them.

Ali Engin Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
richardhurst
636 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Jul 09, 2013 07:43 as a reply to aliengin's post |  #167

Wife just called to say camera dropped off by UPS so looking forward to getting home and seeing whats been done.

www.richardhurstphotog​raphy.co.ukexternal link
https://www.facebook.c​om ...otography/254116831​306074external link
http://richardhurst.50​0px.comexternal link

richardhurst
636 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Jul 09, 2013 11:23 as a reply to richardhurst's post |  #168

Right my job note just states that lubrication has been applied and they have also given it a sensor clean. And it now has the black spot

2slo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 10, 2013 07:55 as a reply to richardhurst's post |  #169

This thread and a couple of others are making me have second thoughts about buying a 1Dx which I'm very nearly ready to do. The idea of paying £5k for a camera which would need to be sent straight back to the service centre to have faults corrected doesn't sit well with me.
If I look at a new boxed 1Dx, is there a certain serial number, upwards of which I could be sure that the remedial work/ adjustments etc will have already been corrected before the camera was shipped? Is the number even visible on the box? Alternatively, are Canon recalling new stock 1Dx's to fix the issues before customers buy them?

tomholman
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Austin Texas
Jul 10, 2013 08:09 |  #170

I am shipping mine in today. Still happy I bought the camera and looking forward to getting in back.

Tom
My Homeexternal link
http://www.nthelight.c​om/external link

cheffievrs
Joined Dec 2010
Leamington Spa
Jul 10, 2013 08:50 |  #171

2slo wrote in post #16107379external link
This thread and a couple of others are making me have second thoughts about buying a 1Dx which I'm very nearly ready to do. The idea of paying £5k for a camera which would need to be sent straight back to the service centre to have faults corrected doesn't sit well with me.
If I look at a new boxed 1Dx, is there a certain serial number, upwards of which I could be sure that the remedial work/ adjustments etc will have already been corrected before the camera was shipped? Is the number even visible on the box? Alternatively, are Canon recalling new stock 1Dx's to fix the issues before customers buy them?

I'm in the same boat, looking at getting a dx but feeling a little reluctant if it has to be shipped for the upgrade

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08external link http://500px.com/jswoo​dexternal link

richardhurst
636 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Jul 10, 2013 08:52 |  #172

cheffievrs wrote in post #16107491external link
I'm in the same boat, looking at getting a dx but feeling a little reluctant if it has to be shipped for the upgrade

It tells you what series numbers ate effected in the canon website so just either get one that isn't listed or look at the body to see if its had the modification already. Pretty sole really.

aliengin
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Jul 10, 2013 09:14 |  #173

If you are going to buy from a retailer who has the latest ones it shouldn't be a problem. just look at the effected serial numbers and the serial on the box is located at the bottom.

Ali Engin Photographyexternal link

2slo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 10, 2013 09:26 as a reply to aliengin's post |  #174

Thanks. I phoned the tech dept at Canon Elstree about this. They would only restate what is on the website, i.e, if the sixth digit of the serial number is 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 7 then the body is affected and needs to be returned. If the digit is 8, 9 or 0 then the body is apparently okay. I also asked if it was Canon's policy to recall new unsold stock from retailers which needed the upgrades. The answer is that is a matter for the retailer to sort out. Hmm, so for example I might soon look at two new bodies in stock and one should work perfectly but the other one has known faults which needs repair before it can be used. And you want list price for both and I should pay in full and wait while my new camera goes back to Canon? I'll be speaking to a couple of retailers soon and will update this thread.

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 10, 2013 09:41 |  #175

Despite what you have read here and elsewhere the 1DX is a really cracking camera. It outshines my mk4's in image quality, focus lock-on, functionality and low light ability.

Granted we're having a wibble here about this recall but in the great scheme of things it's not that bad.

And, despite my earlier comments about using it until it breaks ... now it's going in after doing a f22 file against a light colour shows I have umm, dozens of what looks like lubricant spatters on the sensor. So the nice Lady at Canon said 'better send it in' as it gets a clean as well as the recall details done. There's also evidence of some quite large specks which are much bigger than all the others.

I'm thinking that this might be a use of the wrong lubricant rather than lack of it as I've never had this on any other body before.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

2slo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 10, 2013 09:52 |  #176

LincsRP wrote in post #16107639external link
Despite what you have read here and elsewhere the 1DX is a really cracking camera. It outshines my mk4's in image quality, focus lock-on, functionality and low light ability.

Granted we're having a wibble here about this recall but in the great scheme of things it's not that bad.

And, despite my earlier comments about using it until it breaks ... now it's going in after doing a f22 file against a light colour shows I have umm, dozens of what looks like lubricant spatters on the sensor. So the nice Lady at Canon said 'better send it in' as it gets a clean as well as the recall details done. There's also evidence of some quite large specks which are much bigger than all the others.

I'm thinking that this might be a use of the wrong lubricant rather than lack of it as I've never had this on any other body before.

I thought the lubricant spatter on the sensor was part of the recall? It was suggested some months back that this was a known fault although I lost track of Canon's official stance.
As to the quality and improvements over the 1Div, agreed and that's one of the main reasons for me wanting to upgrade. At present, I shoot with either a 1Div or a 5D3, both excellent but both with less capability in certain areas than the 1Dx should have. I likely will buy one, I just don't expect to buy a new camera which immediately is off the road on my time and money.

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009
London
Jul 10, 2013 12:20 |  #177

richardhurst wrote in post #16104885external link
Right my job note just states that lubrication has been applied and they have also given it a sensor clean. And it now has the black spot

Who did the work?

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 10, 2013 12:30 as a reply to smclaren's post |  #178

Mine was picked up today. I could have had it collected last week and sent to Fixation but I opted to wait for a slot at Elstree instead.

flickr (external link)

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009
London
Jul 10, 2013 13:14 |  #179

Scott_online wrote in post #16108074external link
Mine was picked up today. I could have had it collected last week and sent to Fixation but I opted to wait for a slot at Elstree instead.

You may find this was a wise Decision.

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 10, 2013 15:51 |  #180

2slo wrote in post #16107676external link
I thought the lubricant spatter on the sensor was part of the recall? It was suggested some months back that this was a known fault although I lost track of Canon's official stance.
As to the quality and improvements over the 1Div, agreed and that's one of the main reasons for me wanting to upgrade. At present, I shoot with either a 1Div or a 5D3, both excellent but both with less capability in certain areas than the 1Dx should have. I likely will buy one, I just don't expect to buy a new camera which immediately is off the road on my time and money.

Here's the link:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...il&docId=0901e02480​9120b7external link

Lack of lubrication - probably due to it being on the sensor instead :)

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

sponsored links

42,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.