Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Jun 2013 (Monday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice

richardhurst
636 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Jul 10, 2013 15:57 |  #181

smclaren wrote in post #16108035external link
Who did the work?

Fixation in London

www.richardhurstphotog​raphy.co.ukexternal link
https://www.facebook.c​om ...otography/254116831​306074external link
http://richardhurst.50​0px.comexternal link

sponsored links
smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009
London
Jul 10, 2013 19:01 |  #182

richardhurst wrote in post #16108672external link
Fixation in London

That is exactly the same that happened to mine, I started by cleaning off some lubricant cast off from the mirror and just basically saw red and took it back for a second time. Hopefully we will not be back to fixation for a third time. As I have no idea if it was down to them, or the Design modification not being any better than the old one it has just replaced.

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 11, 2013 07:21 |  #183

smclaren wrote in post #16109149external link
That is exactly the same that happened to mine, I started by cleaning off some lubricant cast off from the mirror and just basically saw red and took it back for a second time. Hopefully we will not be back to fixation for a third time. As I have no idea if it was down to them, or the Design modification not being any better than the old one it has just replaced.

"Design modification"?

As I understand it there are two separate issues being discussed here:

1) Oil droplets on the sensor thrown off by the mirror. This is not unique to the 1D X. Google just about any DLSR you can think of and there will be reports of the same problem.
2) The Service Advisory - which relates to insufficient lubrication on a part of the mirror assembly. Over time, this could result in the parts wearing, which could in turn deposit small particles in the mirror box, which could in turn affect the operation of the AF sensor.

The fix for 1) is to clean the sensor. The fix for 2) is to lubricate the affected part. If 2) is overdone, then you might end up with 1) but there's no design modification as such?

flickr (external link)

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009
London
Jul 11, 2013 12:28 |  #184

Scott_online wrote in post #16110388external link
"Design modification"?

As I understand it there are two separate issues being discussed here:

1) Oil droplets on the sensor thrown off by the mirror. This is not unique to the 1D X. Google just about any DLSR you can think of and there will be reports of the same problem.
2) The Service Advisory - which relates to insufficient lubrication on a part of the mirror assembly. Over time, this could result in the parts wearing, which could in turn deposit small particles in the mirror box, which could in turn affect the operation of the AF sensor.

The fix for 1) is to clean the sensor. The fix for 2) is to lubricate the affected part. If 2) is overdone, then you might end up with 1) but there's no design modification as such?

The staff had been told by Canon not to discuss with owners of 1D X what work had been carried out on the camera, and the staff repeatedly stated they could not talk about the work to be done, it seems a little severe for a little oil. What I did pick up was some modification had been carried out.

Gadget-Guy
706 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Wolverton,Bucks.UK
Jul 11, 2013 13:04 as a reply to smclaren's post |  #185

Well just got my one back from Canon Elstree and the sensor has more crud on it now than when it went and there is a small chip to the paint on the side of the battery compartment so not very happy at the moment.

Was in for the fix and also a problem I have had with it locking up since the last firmware upgrade needing a battery pull to get it to work again which is a pain when shooting bikes as I do as it seems to lock at the wrong time every time.

Invoice states Unable to reproduce locking up fault.
Checked and Lubricated driving mechanism as per Web announcement.

Cleaned switches,contacts and connectors

LUBE HOOK

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

NotASpeckOfCereal
294 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Staly Vegas, UK
Jul 12, 2013 08:34 |  #186

Gadget-Guy wrote in post #16111253external link
Well just got my one back from Canon Elstree and the sensor has more crud on it now than when it went and there is a small chip to the paint on the side of the battery compartment so not very happy at the moment.

I'm equally unhappy - it went to Fixation last week and I had to take a day off to wait for UPS to collect. It's been repaired with the usual "lubrication has been applied" plus a sensor clean; and now they can't get it back to me.

They are saying Canon will pay for next day delivery - but not on a Saturday. First time I rang to arrange it - Saturday delivery was £15 extra as it's under 2kg. Then when I rang today (Fri) for Saturday it's gone up to £35! So I have to take another day off work to get my bl**dy camera back as I'm not being held to ransom by APS,Canon and Fixation combined.

I wish I'd never sent the goddam camera in for the recall. When it comes backit had better be perfect.....

Gear List

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Jul 12, 2013 13:28 |  #187

Time to tell my story, as I just had the service done (NJ, USA). When I first corresponded with the Canon support people, I was told they would try to honor the CPS Gold member 3-day turnaround, but there were no guarantees. I had a week and a half window with no photography jobs and a backup camera I could use for the first of those upcoming jobs. So I decided to ship my 1DX on Monday, 7/1. UPS showed it delivered to Canon NJ on Wed morning (7/3) at 9am. I knew the July 4th holiday would cause a 1-day interruption. I didn't know that Canon took Thurs, Fri, and Sat off for the holiday. When I called on Monday, 7/8, my 1DX wasn't even in the computer yet. I said I really wanted it back for Thursday, 7/11, and they said it would probably be done in time...and to call back on Tuesday. When I called on Tuesday, it was finally in the computer, but that's it. I said that the unit needed to ship that day to get back to me by Thursday. I said I wanted it shipped whether it was repaired or not. I didn't care at that point and just wanted it back. They said I could call back on Wednesday and find out if it was repaired or not before it shipped. On Wednesday, I was nervous that I hadn't received any sort of shipping notification from Canon. When I called, I was told the technician was working on it "right now." This was midday. I said it was supposed to ship the previous day, and why was my request ignored? I talked to a supervisor, and they changed the shipping to overnight so the technician could finish the work on Wednesday. I did receive a shipping notification late Wednesday, and it arrived at 3pm Thursday, 3 hours before a paid shoot. I did some quick tests with shots of the sky to look for bogies on the sensor, charged the battery, and took it to the shoot (along with a backup). It performed just fine for the shoot. I noticed some settings have been reset to factory defaults, but I haven't gone through them all yet to see if everything got reset. My custom shooting modes were gone. The sensor looks pretty clean though. And, no, I didn't try any rapid-fire shutter modes yet!

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

2slo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 12, 2013 17:01 as a reply to sdipirro's post |  #188

Currently negotiating with a UK Canon dealer for a new 1Dx. My terms are I want to be quoted a serial number for a stock camera which is outside of those affected by the recall notice. Not one which has been in stock and sent back to Canon for work and definitely not one which they would supply and I'd have to send off. Awaiting their response.

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Jul 15, 2013 12:58 |  #189

I've done two paid shoots with mine since getting it back, and it seems fine. No issues whatsoever. And while my custom shooting modes were reset, it doesn't appear any other settings changed. One thing that suddenly occurred to me was to check for some sort of marking or indication that the service had been done, and I can't find anything. I thought they were supposed to put a mark inside the battery compartment after performing this service, but I don't see anything.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Sawbridgeworth, Herts. UK
Jul 15, 2013 13:11 |  #190

sdipirro wrote in post #16122382external link
I've done two paid shoots with mine since getting it back, and it seems fine. No issues whatsoever. And while my custom shooting modes were reset, it doesn't appear any other settings changed. One thing that suddenly occurred to me was to check for some sort of marking or indication that the service had been done, and I can't find anything. I thought they were supposed to put a mark inside the battery compartment after performing this service, but I don't see anything.

They put a black mark on the metal piece as per their service notice on mine.

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS
My Gear List
My Websiteexternal link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jul 15, 2013 14:27 |  #191

Call them up and tell them you're going to Sharpie it. See what they say. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Voaky999
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Edmonton,AB
Jul 15, 2013 17:08 |  #192

Got mine back today, "Cleaned and countermeasure applied". Spiffy new black mark.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jul 15, 2013 18:28 |  #193

Countermeasures. :lol: I like that. I wonder what mine will say when I get it back. Just dropped it off today.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

joonrhee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,749 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Southern California
Jul 15, 2013 19:41 |  #194

Julian, yours will probably say "product has been examined and preventive measures have been applied. Product functions were confirmed". :lol: That's what was said on mine. :)

a7RII • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Jul 15, 2013 19:46 |  #195

^ MUst be a SoCal thing... Hehehhee...

;)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

41,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.