Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Jun 2013 (Monday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jul 15, 2013 21:05 |  #196

Good heavens.

My cameras have shipped already. Must have been slow day at the service center. :lol:

Dropped them off at 8:30am today (Monday). FedEx should have them delivered by 3pm tomorrow (Tuesday).

Now that's service.

Had I know I'd get them back tomorrow, I would've sent my 7D in for the clean & check too!

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
joonrhee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,749 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Southern California
Jul 15, 2013 23:10 |  #197

jwcdds wrote in post #16123697external link
Good heavens.

My cameras have shipped already. Must have been slow day at the service center. :lol:

Dropped them off at 8:30am today (Monday). FedEx should have them delivered by 3pm tomorrow (Tuesday).

Now that's service.

Had I know I'd get them back tomorrow, I would've sent my 7D in for the clean & check too!

Wow, that is super fast!! My fastest turnaround time at Irvine for anything was 2 days... :D

a7RII • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jul 15, 2013 23:56 |  #198

Last time I was at Irvine mothership was to do the mirror fix for my 2 5Dc's. Dropped them off on a Monday morning. Got them back on Wednesday. If I do end up receiving my 1DX & 5D3 tomorrow, that will truly be a record. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009
London
Jul 16, 2013 02:11 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #199

Mine is about go back to Fixation for a fourth time!! There is dirt visible again in the viewfinder of the camera. I do not believe that Fixation are capable of carrying out the repairs as stated by Canon.
I have also come to the opinion that Canon should be replacing these 1D Xs, because this modification to the mirror box/lubrication is resulting in a professional camera spending more time in the repairers than it is out taking images. This is an absolute bloody disgrace.

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Sawbridgeworth, Herts. UK
Jul 16, 2013 14:10 |  #200

smclaren wrote in post #16124241external link
Mine is about go back to Fixation for a fourth time!! There is dirt visible again in the viewfinder of the camera. I do not believe that Fixation are capable of carrying out the repairs as stated by Canon.
I have also come to the opinion that Canon should be replacing these 1D Xs, because this modification to the mirror box/lubrication is resulting in a professional camera spending more time in the repairers than it is out taking images. This is an absolute bloody disgrace.

Should have sent to Canon Elstree, let's hope 4th time is a charm.....

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS
My Gear List
My Websiteexternal link

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 16, 2013 16:33 as a reply to Pete W's post |  #201

Just got mine back from Elstree.

"Checked and lubricated driving mechanism as per Web announcement. Cleaned sensor"

The labour cost charged to warranty was only £15.00, so it couldn't have taken long!

flickr (external link)

jack880
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Manchester, UK
Jul 16, 2013 16:54 |  #202

smclaren wrote in post #16108189external link
You may find this was a wise Decision.

I've got an email from Canon:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for registering online to make an appointment with us regarding our web announcement.

Please could I ask you to confirm your full address details for collection of your EOS 1DX/1DC camera and advise the top three dates you would like collection to be made from Monday 22nd July onwards. We can arrange collections via UPS for weekdays. Please provide a day when someone will be available between approximately 9am and 5:30pm, as UPS do not specify a collection time.

Our current repair turnaround time is approximately 3 to 4 days (please allow an extra 2 days for collection and delivery) in order to maintain an acceptable turnaround time we are utilising our Authorised repair agent, Fixation. If you are currently using your camera and would prefer to make arrangements at a later date, please feel free to contact us at a time that is more convenient to you.

Should you require additional services/repairs on your camera then this will delay the turnaround time.

Once a collection has been arranged we will provide you with packaging instructions.

I look forward to hearing from you by return email.

Kind Regards,

I've replied and said I don't want to send it to fixation based on what I've read. I've asked if it can go to Elstree instead - is that a good idea? Sounds like it....

Thanks

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jackhenriques/ (external link)
1DX, 7D, 20D, S110, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 16-35 f/2.8 L II, 50 f/1.8 II, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 17 f/4 L, 8-15 f/4 L, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, x1.4 extender II, Kenko extension tubes, 430 EX II x 2

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jul 16, 2013 20:56 |  #203

Mine reads:

"AF product advisory. Error 80 also--1 time. Repair to good working order. No response necessary."

And it's been Sharpie'd. :lol:

Julian

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009
London
Jul 17, 2013 00:05 |  #204

Pete W wrote in post #16125693external link
Should have sent to Canon Elstree, let's hope 4th time is a charm.....

After taking legal advice, I made an official compliant to Canon UK yesterday, about the whole 1D X affair. Canon are having my 1D X collected this morning as part of an investigation into the matter.

ValMc
126 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Plymouth, U.K.
Jul 17, 2013 09:23 as a reply to smclaren's post |  #205

Have just got mine back from Elstree and the sensor is really filthy now. It wasn't like that when it was sent off to them!!!! The automatic sensor cleaning will not touch it so it looks like I shall have to do it manually as I feel that complaining to Canon will not get me anywhere.

jack880
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Manchester, UK
Jul 17, 2013 09:28 |  #206

ValMc wrote in post #16128015external link
Have just got mine back from Elstree and the sensor is really filthy now. It wasn't like that when it was sent off to them!!!! The automatic sensor cleaning will not touch it so it looks like I shall have to do it manually as I feel that complaining to Canon will not get me anywhere.

That's not good - I just told canon i wanted my camera to go to elstree not fixation!

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jackhenriques/ (external link)
1DX, 7D, 20D, S110, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 16-35 f/2.8 L II, 50 f/1.8 II, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 17 f/4 L, 8-15 f/4 L, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, x1.4 extender II, Kenko extension tubes, 430 EX II x 2

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 17, 2013 09:45 |  #207

smclaren wrote in post #16127170external link
After taking legal advice, I made an official compliant to Canon UK yesterday, about the whole 1D X affair. Canon are having my 1D X collected this morning as part of an investigation into the matter.

Hope you get sorted soon. UPS collected mine today and the address is to Canon not Fixation as first advised.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

Gadget-Guy
706 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Wolverton,Bucks.UK
Jul 17, 2013 10:19 as a reply to LincsRP's post |  #208

Well have some crud now on the sensor that a rocket blower will not shift and did notice that the outline of 1 or 2 specs on the sensor is more of a shaving possibly from where they have carried out the recall or mod so this along with the chipped paint just isnt on.
Need the camera for this weekend but think its going back and in all honesty even though i now have no faith in Canon or there products.

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

mrjinxx
43 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Isle of Man
Jul 17, 2013 11:14 |  #209

I must reiterate the problem I had which was the myriad tiny oil spots on the sensor, measured by FoCal as over 400 teeny ones. That has to impact on the overall clarity. There were also a few bigger specs of dust or something more solid.

I tried wet swabbing the sensor and although it cleaned it up slightly, it didn't shift the oil, so I sent it back to Canon Elstree to do the recall work and to clean the sensor. They reported the sensor had been scratched (this was presumably with the dust/grit trapped in the oil) and it has cost me £600 for a new sensor.

I'm not sure what lessons there are in this cautionary tale other than I don't think I shall be cleaning my sensor again. I've not had a problem before on other cameras but that is far too high a price to pay, and I don't think I can press Canon into refunding me the cost, as they deny there is an issue with oil spattering. And yes I do use the 12fps quite a lot btw

I will check again with FoCal on the stte of the sensor now that it's been modded and replaced and returned, although I can't find the black mark in the battery compartment. There is no mark on the silver plate with the slot in it

ValMc
126 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Plymouth, U.K.
Jul 17, 2013 11:35 as a reply to mrjinxx's post |  #210

Spoke to Canon this afternoon about the dirty sensor after they had returned it to me after the product recall and they have asked me to send it back to them again to be cleaned. Spent half an hour packing it up again and dealing with all the paperwork. Thankfully I am only a hobbyist but it is still annoying when you have paid so much for a camera that Canon can't get it right. I think I shall be afraid to check the sensor when it comes back. Looking at posts on this forum it seems to be a common problem.

sponsored links

41,039 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.