Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 22 Jul 2013 (Monday) 03:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to protect my logo?

ShootaBike
337 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Ex land of the Gods - now land of the Poor!
Jul 22, 2013 03:15 |  #1

Hi !

I have finally come up with my name and logo and I want to start building a small photography business to see how it goes...

Any advise on how to protect my intelectual property would be highly appreciated!

Thank you for any input...

Canon EOS 7D | Canon 580EX II | Metz Mecablitz 58 AF1 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM |Yongnuo YN-622C | Lots to learn...
Lowepro S&F Modular Carrying System | Naneu Pro Military Ops - Bravo Backpack
C μ on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shootabike/external link

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jul 22, 2013 03:20 |  #2

File for a Trademark on your logo...

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008
"...just south of the 23rd Paralell..."
Jul 22, 2013 03:42 |  #3

ShootaBike wrote in post #16142221external link
Any advise on how to protect my intelectual property would be highly appreciated!...

What...so that somebody doesn't do to your logo what you've done to Nikon's and Canon's as portrayed in your avatar under your user name?

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Yearexternal linkFinallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmediaexternal link

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jul 22, 2013 03:49 |  #4

philwillmedia wrote in post #16142258external link
What...so that somebody doesn't do to your logo what you've done to Nikon's and Canon's as portrayed in your avatar under your user name?

Oh, Snap... :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ShootaBike
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Jul 22, 2013 04:45 |  #5

philwillmedia wrote in post #16142258external link

Yeah, something like that... :o

Canon EOS 7D | Canon 580EX II | Metz Mecablitz 58 AF1 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM |Yongnuo YN-622C | Lots to learn...

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Jul 22, 2013 05:37 |  #6

You might just a little bit possibly be putting too much thought into the wrong areas of your business if protecting a logo is your top priority.

Perhaps maybe, you should possibly make a list of things that are important to a successful business? customers, bookkeeping, products, Promotion, customers, products, insurance, customers, equipment, customers, networking, customers and products

Then stop dicking about with logo's, build a strong company, the brand will follow.

You're welcome.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 22, 2013 06:37 |  #7

Phil V wrote in post #16142394external link
You might just a little bit possibly be putting too much thought into the wrong areas of your business if protecting a logo is your top priority.

Perhaps maybe, you should possibly make a list of things that are important to a successful business? customers, bookkeeping, products, Promotion, customers, products, insurance, customers, equipment, customers, networking, customers and products

Then stop dicking about with logo's, build a strong company, the brand will follow.

You're welcome.

True story... or so I've heard ;-)a

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Merseyside, England
Jul 22, 2013 07:10 |  #8

You're welcome.

I agree.

Shootabike, when you say you have "finally" come up with a name and logo, that implies that some time and effort has gone into this. That time and effort would have been better put into working on presentation of your portfolio, marketing yourself to potential clients, etc., etc.

ALL the successful photographers in my area just use their own name and either "photography" or "photographer" and don't have a fancy logo at all.

Nobody hires a photographer because they have a funky name or logo, they hire them based on the work they present, and how well it is presented. Concentrate on what actually matters.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jul 22, 2013 11:24 |  #9

Solid advice.

You're welcome.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.comexternal link| Blogexternal link

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 22, 2013 18:10 |  #10

Your logo has to be worth stealing first... build the business, build the brand. No one really cares what your logo looks like (so long as it doesn't look like it is off a Frontpage website from the 90's).

Saying all of this I did trademark mine from day dot. I also had a full corporate style guide in place from the get go to ensure that every bit of branding was consistent from the very beginning. Decide what your message will be and stand by it. I lose count of the photographers I see re branding themselves year in year out. No wonder potential clients don't know who they are, the photographers don't know who they are themselves.

You also want to think about where your photography may head in the future and whether your logo, branding and name is adaptable if you change direction.

As others have said though make sure you have your business processes planned before you start. Do you know how you are going to record your financial information? If not find out now. The less you have to think and learn about when you start the better. You can then concentrate on the photography and selling/building your business. Marketing... have you got a marketing plan for the 1st year yet? What about year 2? When I started I had already though how I was going to promote, where I was going to promote and what I was going to spend before I opened the doors.

Peter

ShootaBike
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Jul 23, 2013 08:16 |  #11

Solid indeed!

Yeah, quite a bit of thinking went into it, but I found out it was not too ingenious in the end... well, at least noone in Europe has used it before. I found a couple of guys using it in the US. I think it should be ok.

I think I need to focus though. This is going to be a side project at first, as I already run a completely different career.

When I manage to make it succesfuly I will have to pull the plug on the current job and look forward.

It looks totally chaotic and extremely hard from here...

sponsored links

1,403 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to protect my logo?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.