Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 22 Jul 2013 (Monday) 00:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone seen this? "The Light BLaster"

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Jul 22, 2013 00:26 |  #1

http://www.wired.com ...fetish-the-light-blaster/external link
http://www.light-blaster.com/external link

"The $100 tripod-mountable lighting accessory from Spiffy Gear works sort of like a projector. You attach a DSLR lens to the front of it, a strobe flash with a wireless trigger to the back of it, and then you sandwich a 35mm slide in the middle. When the attached flash is triggered by a camera, it projects the slide’s image in a quick, bright burst — perfect for creating your own still-image versions of Bjork videosexternal link."

Seems like a pretty cool little toy.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jul 22, 2013 00:31 |  #2

It's essentially an elipsoidal lighting instrument for flash instead of constant light...

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,173 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 22, 2013 10:27 |  #3

Why not simply make a trip to the thrift store and purchase an ordinary slide projector, for less money, and not tie up a flash unit and a lens?

A slide projector would better permit you to position your subject best in front of the scene being projected, since you'd see the scene continuously, too.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Jul 22, 2013 10:30 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #16142971external link
Why not simply make a trip to the thrift store and purchase an ordinary slide projector, for less money, and not tie up a flash unit and a lens?

Well I am just assuming based on what I am seeing in the marketing, but presumably you'd get a MUCH brighter image with a burst from a flash gun over a slide projector. And the output control on the flash gun would let you match brightness with the rest of your studio lighting.

Taylor

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Germany
Jul 22, 2013 13:42 |  #5

I think this is a very interesting product but couldn't find information about the actual light throughput anywhere online. Does anyone of you have any information or is there an informative review available?

Thanks,
Tobi

SFzip
110 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Jul 22, 2013 14:51 |  #6

The “original” version in action and its stealthy effect can be seen here: image fulgurator at checkpoint charlieexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,173 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 22, 2013 15:11 |  #7

Ok, now I see how a slide projector would not substitute, if out and about rather than in a studio. But I then have to ask "What good does it do you?!"...its novelty usage as depicted in the link of Post 6 soon wears off. In other words, why spend the $100 just for a novelty?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jul 22, 2013 15:40 |  #8

Its a relatively inexpensive focusing spot that uses a speedlite for illumination.
Can be used much the same way a regular focusing spot is used to project cookies etc onto the background. Could be quite useful for fashion, bridal etc.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jul 22, 2013 15:41 |  #9

Tobi. wrote in post #16143545external link
I think this is a very interesting product but couldn't find information about the actual light throughput anywhere online. Does anyone of you have any information or is there an informative review available?

Thanks,
Tobi

Light through put is going to depend on too many variables for them to make any real estimates. Now restrictive the image slide is, the aperture of the lens attached, the power of the speedlite attached.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Jul 22, 2013 15:47 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #16143766external link
In other words, why spend the $100 just for a novelty?!

People pay more than that for backdrops.

Taylor

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 22, 2013 15:47 |  #11

I bought one but haven't had much time to put it to the test. One thing I have noticed is there is much less light than I thought there would be - but I am using an old EF-S kit lens for the projection. A fast prime would allow more light through.

If I get some time to test it this week I'll post some samples.

BTW, it's not a novelty for me. If I can use it the way I want, I will be adding texture and interesting backgrounds/designs to otherwise boring seamless paper.

We'll see how it pans out.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Jul 22, 2013 15:49 |  #12

You could probably adapt some old 50mm f2 from ebay for a cheap and brighter solution.

One thing I wondered is do you have to focus the light with the lens?

Taylor

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jul 22, 2013 15:50 |  #13

I'm guessing yes you do as you would with a projector.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 22, 2013 15:57 |  #14

tkbslc wrote in post #16143865external link
You could probably adapt some old 50mm f2 from ebay for a cheap and brighter solution.

One thing I wondered is do you have to focus the light with the lens?

Yes, if you want the image sharp you do have to focus. I've found this challenging to accomplish.

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jul 22, 2013 15:59 |  #15

scobols wrote in post #16143886external link
Yes, if you want the image sharp you do have to focus. I've found this challenging to accomplish.

Use a flash light to focus. Or the modeling light feature on the speedlite.

sponsored links

9,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone seen this? "The Light BLaster"
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.