Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 22 Jul 2013 (Monday) 01:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

need advice re: G12

Rocshaus
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 22, 2013 01:25 |  #1

I've had this camera for about 3-4 months now and its been great. (Purchased it on craigslist.)
Yesterday, I took my family on an around town adventure, but towards the end of the day my camera started acting strange. All of the images began to look like this...

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO
IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I have tried everything, but no matter what setting it is on, it still comes out looking like this. I brought along my Canon 430EX flash along and started using with no problem for about a half hour before I noticed this happening. The weird thing is that video on the camera works just fine. Is it possible that the speedlite may have damaged my sensor? but if so, why does video still work just fine? Does anyone think this would be worth sending in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

sponsored links
mrshobden
464 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Essex, UK
Jul 22, 2013 08:23 |  #2

My G11 started to do lines like that - I discovered my battery was almost at the point of needing to be recharged. I recharged my battery and it worked absolutely fine. Last night it played up again...and sure enough the battery needed recharging. Just an idea.

PS I rarely use flash if I can help it - I rely on natural light - so it might not be anything to do with the flash you used.

Linda

Rocshaus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 23, 2013 00:03 |  #3

mrshobden wrote in post #16142608external link
My G11 started to do lines like that - I discovered my battery was almost at the point of needing to be recharged. I recharged my battery and it worked absolutely fine. Last night it played up again...and sure enough the battery needed recharging. Just an idea.

PS I rarely use flash if I can help it - I rely on natural light - so it might not be anything to do with the flash you used.

Thank you for the tip. I tried recharging my battery fully. No luck. Its still doing it. I guess if nothing else, it still makes for a great little pocket video camera

sbgagne
142 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Largo, FL
Jul 23, 2013 21:57 |  #4

Do the images look like that if you copy them to PC/Mac or just on the Camera? Have you tried a different memory card or reformatting the one you have?

Rocshaus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 24, 2013 21:55 |  #5

sbgagne wrote in post #16148275external link
Do the images look like that if you copy them to PC/Mac or just on the Camera? Have you tried a different memory card or reformatting the one you have?

Thanks for the tip, I tried checking both those things and neither helped. As much I hate this, I am calling this PAS, dead. (for photos atleast)

reefvilla
Joined May 2010
Farmington Missouri
Jul 24, 2013 22:45 as a reply to Rocshaus's post |  #6

Maybe try a New battery?

http://www.bestbatt.co​m ...I-7sL_dybgCFcJj7AodKXcAi​wexternal link

Did you drop it throughout the day?
Was it left in a hot car for awhile?
Did a dog pee on it? :)

I wonder if it could be an SD card issue?

Canon 6D : Canon 24-70mm f2.8 : Canon 17-40mm F4L

Jimbo125
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2006
Philadelphia Suburbs
Jul 25, 2013 15:04 |  #7

I had the same problem. I changed the SD card and it worked fine after that. Of course a lot of other factors changed at the same time, including bringing it inside from the heat, turning it off and then back on, etc. But I really think it was the heat affect on the card.

flickrexternal link

Hobbes330i
271 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Jul 26, 2013 17:21 |  #8

The SD card could be bad. I would try a different one. Also, format it on the camera, not on the PC.

7D | 5D
7-40L, 24-105L, 70-300 DO, Sigma 30 and 50, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 alphabet soup

gug
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 27, 2013 06:59 |  #9

Last year I had the same issue, it was the CMOS sensor. I had over 20K in pics taken with the G12 camera and it appears to be about the shelf life for the sensor. Canon replaced it for about $160 or so.

Rocshaus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 31, 2013 00:53 |  #10

gug wrote in post #16157795external link
Last year I had the same issue, it was the CMOS sensor. I had over 20K in pics taken with the G12 camera and it appears to be about the shelf life for the sensor. Canon replaced it for about $160 or so.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking its the sensor as well. I'm not sure if It's really worth paying $160 for a new sensor as I only paid $250 for the whole camera. Something to think about though. Thanks.

mark2009
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Northeast , USA
Jul 31, 2013 06:08 as a reply to Rocshaus's post |  #11

I would try another sd card, but it looks like the sensor.

If you ever buy used again, try here, I have always had good luck here. Unfortunately I have been burned on craiglist and also eBay with electronics, seems to be a dumping ground .....sorry, back to you problem like I said a quick and easy test is another sd card, but I really think its your sensor.

sponsored links

1,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
need advice re: G12
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.