Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 27 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 08:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Grand Canyon Hotels

Drive4show
209 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Minesing , Ontario
Aug 27, 2013 08:13 |  #1

I'm heading to Phoenix for a conference in mid-November, so I thought I'd take a few extra days for my wife and I to go see some sights in the Grand canyon and get some shots ..... the tourist-y spots are OK with me since it will be a pretty short visit and, hopefully in mid-late November it won't be too busy. Thought we might stay at one of the hotels in the park on one of the nights, but wonder if it's worth it. Anyone have some experience ?

Hounder
30D , 50D, 7D, Tamron XR DII 18-200mm f3.5-6.3, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5,Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon Macro 100mm f2.8, CanonL 400mm f5.6, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Speedlite 580 EXII, 580EX, 430 EX II:lol:

sponsored links
Harm
. . . overboard with the tea . . .
48,564 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Aug 27, 2013 14:34 |  #2

last time I went, we stayed in flagstaff rather than at the canyon. about 40 mins drive (if that) to the canyon, more choices to stay, cheaper, more choices to go out and eat too.

SmugMugexternal link

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Joined May 2008
Based in California and Slovenia
Aug 27, 2013 14:50 |  #3

I once stayed in a hotel just feet from the rim that was quite affordable. It was more like a European pension with the shower rooms down the hall, but it was quite comfortable and very conveniently located. When we stepped outside the room, there was the canyon. Pretty great.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

badams
Joined Nov 2006
Southern Oklahoma
Aug 28, 2013 16:46 |  #4

Staying at the park is nice so you can just roll out of the bed and be on the rim at sunrise.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,414 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Aug 28, 2013 19:30 |  #5

We stayed at the Yavapai Lodge in the park in May. The free buses run all around the park so it was easy to walk or ride wherever we wanted to go. It's great to be right there so you can get to the rim quickly for sunrise or sunset photos. The park facilities are run by Xanterra and everything was extremely well managed. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend it!

I have to admit -- I never managed to get up for a sunrise, but did catch a sunset while there.

-----

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009
Aridzona
Aug 28, 2013 22:06 |  #6

IMO, it's well worth the extra expense to stay in the park. Yea, you can get a Motel 6 in Flagstaff for $30, but the hour long drive each way will suck up too much time.

Stayed in Bright Angel once and it was fine, if unspectacular. I don't think any of the lodges are Roach Motels. Book now!

http://www.nps.gov ...planyourvisit/lodgi​ng.htmexternal link

PS Don't be a lazy butt like ^ was. ;) Make a dawn stroll to the rim and you'll have the entire canyon to yourself. Very cool.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

Adam ­ Schallau
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Flagstaff, Arizona
Aug 28, 2013 23:41 as a reply to Geonerd's post |  #7

I want to know how some of you are making the drive to the canyon in 40 minutes to 1-hour from Flagstaff. I live here, and make the drive frequently, and have never made that kind of time. You must know a short-cut that I'm not aware of.:p

Adam Schallau
Websiteexternal link
Image Archiveexternal link
Follow me on Facebookexternal link

Adam ­ Schallau
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Flagstaff, Arizona
Aug 28, 2013 23:44 |  #8

You shouldn't have any problem getting a room in the park in mid-November, and the rates will have come down by then. Yavapai Lodge is a good place to stay, but I would avoid Maswik Lodge. Both lodges, and the rest on the park's South Rim, are run by Xanterra, but there is a big difference in the quality of the rooms between those two lodges.

Be sure to get up for sunrise, and also explore the areas both east and west of Grand Canyon Village. There's so much to see and photograph. I've been working here since May of 2008, and I'm always surprised by the many moods and personalities of the canyon.

Adam Schallau
Websiteexternal link
Image Archiveexternal link
Follow me on Facebookexternal link

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Sep 01, 2013 20:27 |  #9

Adam Schallau wrote in post #16249259external link
I want to know how some of you are making the drive to the canyon in 40 minutes to 1-hour from Flagstaff. I live here, and make the drive frequently, and have never made that kind of time. You must know a short-cut that I'm not aware of.:p

Google Maps says it is 79 miles from Flagstaff to the South Rim Visitor Center. Probably not a 40 minute drive.

Flickrexternal link

PicBug
Joined Aug 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sep 01, 2013 20:39 |  #10

Orrrr, you could stay a night in Williams, take the train up to the canyon, spend one night up there, and take the train back. The train is a nice experience!

my little galleryexternal link
FaceBook Pageexternal link
Diamond Willow Photography Websiteexternal link
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Sep 03, 2013 01:00 |  #11

The El Tovar is the place to stay.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

Drive4show
THREAD ­ STARTER
209 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Minesing , Ontario
Sep 04, 2013 09:19 |  #12

Thanks all ..... I need to book soon, and the El Tovar is the one that caught my eye !!

Hounder
30D , 50D, 7D, Tamron XR DII 18-200mm f3.5-6.3, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5,Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon Macro 100mm f2.8, CanonL 400mm f5.6, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Speedlite 580 EXII, 580EX, 430 EX II:lol:

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Sep 06, 2013 16:22 |  #13

There's also a few places in Tusayan just outside the south rim entrance. there is the Red Feather lodge and a Holiday Inn Express. Several restaurants are there.
I've stayed in the Red Feather Inn and it was comfortable!
Try the Yippee-ei-o steakhouse for great rattlesnake appetizers.

sponsored links

1,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grand Canyon Hotels
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.