Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 07:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

back button auto focus...

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,408 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 10, 2013 18:33 |  #46

sancho1983 wrote in post #16286031 (external link)
I know I'm being really thick, but I still don't understand, the way I see it you're having to do more, you still have to half press (and full press obviously) the shutter but you also have to press the back button. :(

Sorry

phantelope wrote in post #16286101 (external link)
I tried it for a week or so years ago, never liked it. I don't quite see the benefit either, but I also don't take photos of sports or animals, no gain for me, one more button to press. But obviously many here love it for some reason or other. Maybe I'll try it again some day, but probably not. I do use the * for meter lock occasionally. My friend uses BB on all his cameras, but also could not explain to me why I should do so. I never noticed a lag of any kind. Might be more depending on what you shoot? runners, race cars, fast birds, ball games? All things of little interest to me, may be I just never came across the supposed limitations the standard setting has?

Curious, was this also a feature on pre digital cameras?

I think the feature existed for a long time. it's great for many scenarios. The goal is to decouple the autofocus from the shutter button.

it's like exposure lock right? You lock your exposure and you dont want to change it.

I can be shooting a portrait and lock focus on the eyes. I dont want my next shot re-acquiring focus again and possibly lock on the background or nose.

I can be shooting in the streets, and lock on a object near a crowd. as people walk by, I dont want to inadvertently lock on them instead.

Bride and groom exchanging vows. You get the first shot, and something funny is said, and change of expression. You dont want to acquire focus again and possibly miss that shot and land focus on the priest.

You can set your custom mode to use BBAF if you're not comfortable and switch back and for with conventional shutter AF. That's how I setup in case I want to hand over my camera to someone else.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

sponsored links
Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2013 18:36 |  #47

My question about BBF is this:

What happens to the exposure lock function once you've assigned the star button to function as AF (This would be on a T3i, where there is no dedicated AF button).
I tend to use the exposure lock feature quite often as I meter for one area (the sky, or whatever) and recompose.
How would that work?

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,213 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 10, 2013 18:59 |  #48

Puckman wrote in post #16286158 (external link)
My question about BBF is this:

What happens to the exposure lock function once you've assigned the star button to function as AF (This would be on a T3i, where there is no dedicated AF button).
I tend to use the exposure lock feature quite often as I meter for one area (the sky, or whatever) and recompose.
How would that work?

Most of the cameras have an option to lock exposure with the shutter button if the AE lock button is reassigned. C.Fn -9 gives those options with the T3i.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2013 20:09 |  #49

Thank you. Guess i'll have to read the manual :)

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 10, 2013 20:26 |  #50

foxbodychris wrote in post #16286149 (external link)
My * button is bigger than my AF on button on my 7d and find the * easier to use so I may go that route and just disable AF-on

I also change my * button to BBF at C1 and C2 at my 6D. Feel that button more comfortable when holding the camera, maybe I have short finger :)
But I let the AF-on remain the function, because I no need AE lock.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 10, 2013 20:43 |  #51

I've been trying to get used to back-button focusing. Besides sometimes forgetting to focus, the most embarrassing thing to happen is those times when I hit Live View instead of AF ON. (Not hard to do on the 60D, don't know about others.) Instead of focusing, there is a loud CLACK and the viewfinder goes dark. Takes a second to realize what happened...

sbgagne
142 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 10, 2013 22:20 |  #52

lar55 wrote in post #16286482 (external link)
I've been trying to get used to back-button focusing. Besides sometimes forgetting to focus, the most embarrassing thing to happen is those times when I hit Live View instead of AF ON. (Not hard to do on the 60D, don't know about others.) Instead of focusing, there is a loud CLACK and the viewfinder goes dark. Takes a second to realize what happened...

That is funny. I can see how that could happen. If I forget to put the camera in auto or P mode she wonders why the shutter button does not work. It reverts to shutter button in the auto modes.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,242 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 10, 2013 23:28 |  #53

I've been using BBF almost exclusively since I started shooting with Canon years ago... first on my EOS-3s and Elan 7E (turned off Eye Control on those... it didn't work well for me), then on 10D, 30D, 50D, 7D, 5DII.

On the older cameras that don't have an AF On button, you have no choice but to assign BBF to the AE Lock (*) button.... In those cases, you have a choice to set it up so that you have no AE Lock available, or set it up so that AE Lock is on all the time (not good, IMO... there are a lot of times when having AE Lock always on will cause exposure problems). When you want AE Lock with those cameras, you could go into the Custom Function and change it... Or, what I did when I wanted AE Lock was simply switch to M and lock in my settings. That gives the same results.

Now with all models that have an AF On button, to set up BBF you simply turn off AF at the shutter release button.... Leaving it on the AF On button. It's already set up there, by default.

Or, if you prefer and what I do, is swap the functions of the AF On and AE Lock (*) buttons. That way I control AF with the * button. It's the bigger button, protrudes more and is closer to my thumb anyway (I focus every shot, and only occasionally need to use AE Lock, so it makes sense to me to use the * button for BBF), plus it's what I'm accustomed to... And, I still use some cameras that don't have the AF On button, so this allows me to set them all up the same way. I hadn't thought of it before, but using the * button to BBF also might help prevent accidentally tripping Live View, as described above. The * button is farther away from the Live View button.

When I'm shooting, the only time I don't use BBF is when I'm using Live View. And the only time I turn off BBF on any of my cameras is when I lend one to someone who isn't accustomed to using BBF.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - EXPOSUREMANAGER (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 10, 2013 23:49 |  #54

Changed to bbf the day before shooting a vintage kart racing event about a year ago...thought it might take a bit to get use to...it was natural and I have never gone back and never will...I shoot everything this way now including head shots.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,093 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2013 00:22 |  #55

amfoto1 wrote in post #16286852 (external link)
...And the only time I turn off BBF on any of my cameras is when I lend one to someone who isn't accustomed to using BBF.

Heck, just go set one of the Custom settings to be a "standard" setup, then you don't even have to turn off the BBF settings then :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 11, 2013 02:25 |  #56

I switched the BBF after reading about it on here and its never off now - I love being able to hold down the button for constant focus (ver usefull with running kids) but also the fact I can just tap it once for non-moving subjects. Its like having one shot and AI servo without the need to switch between the two.

Being able to stop the focud if something moves across the path of the camera is great too - lost many a shot at festivals using the regular shutter button as the crowd surge past the camera and the camera then tries to focus on them.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,761 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2013 03:18 as a reply to  @ Shake N Vac's post |  #57

I don't consider it "extra work" even when you are pressing an additional button. You hold the camera anyway, and if you use one finger for two tasks, first half-press then full-press, or two different fingers for the two tasks, one for the equivalent of half-press and the other for taking the picture.

It's of course up to you to handle your camera the way you want, but when I hold my camera, the end of the thumb is almost already touching the AF-ON button, so how someone can think it's more convenient to use the * button for this is beyond me. I don't think you hold your cameras in the most ergonomic way. But do whatever you find best.

However, explore the possibility to use AF-ON for focusing with the selected AF point and * with the pre-registered point. Well, provided you have a camera supporting this feature, of course. 7D does, as well as 1DX. I know the 40D didn't - perhaps no camera with only nine points does? Does the 6D allow registration of a "favorite" AF point?

Anders

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 11, 2013 04:23 |  #58

foxbodychris wrote in post #16286149 (external link)
My * button is bigger than my AF on button on my 7d and find the * easier to use so I may go that route and just disable AF-on

+1, same on the 5D mklll

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,761 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2013 04:37 as a reply to  @ Mike R's post |  #59

Seems it took Canon some time to sort that out. Probably because the * button has been there much longer, but the AF-ON appeared in 2007, when the 1D Mark III and the 40D were introduced. I remember the 40D also had a smaller AF-ON button, even if it was still where the thumb normally rests.

The 1DX has this right, since the AF-ON is the bigger button. AF is used much more than AE lock, so that makes sense.

Anders

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,189 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 11, 2013 08:21 |  #60

I just switched the AF-ON and the * functions in the menu, like Alan indicated. The * button falls more naturally under my thumb with my hand size anyway.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links

12,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
back button auto focus...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.