Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 06 Sep 2013 (Friday) 13:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fujifilm X-A1

Rally ­ Man
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009
SoCal
Sep 06, 2013 13:45 |  #1

Seems like there's info from Czech site FotoSkoda on a new Fujifilm X-mount camera.

IMAGE: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18zbzb306mm0njpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Some of the specs are...

16-megapixel APS-C EXR CMOS sensor
EXR Processor II
3-inch tilting LCD
built-in wifi
color choices of black, blue and red as the above image shows.

canon | sigma | thinktank | sandisk | lexar | radiopopper | rrs | b+w | eneloop | creative light | westcott | upstrap

sponsored links
Rally ­ Man
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009
SoCal
Sep 06, 2013 20:26 |  #2

Looks like dpreviewexternal link has picked up on the rumor too.

canon | sigma | thinktank | sandisk | lexar | radiopopper | rrs | b+w | eneloop | creative light | westcott | upstrap

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
Sep 09, 2013 01:14 |  #3

The black looks good, the other two...not so much. And no X-Trans? Interesting...consider​ing Fuji has been dragging their heels on the UWA zoom and the fast medium telephoto (56 1.2), I'm getting tired of seeing body after body after body. They're going to have, what...4 bodies for 8 lenses now?

Their lack of lenses (especially about 4-5 months ago when I was in the market) cost them my business (that and the X-E1 felt like crap in my hands)...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

Rally ­ Man
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009
SoCal
Sep 09, 2013 07:12 |  #4

I doubt this camera will feel better in your hands.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
Sep 09, 2013 08:13 |  #5

Rally Man wrote in post #16281040external link
I doubt this camera will feel better in your hands.

Yeah, the X-E1 felt positively cheap. I doubt a body costing half as much will feel any better. ;)

The OM-D I ended up buying, on the other hand, felt just perfect (except for the widely lamented "squishy" buttons due to the weather sealing) from the second I picked it up.

The X-E1 felt hollow, thin and unsubstantial, the buttons felt cheap, the shutter button moved back and forth visibly (something I've seen other people complain about), etc...

-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
Joined Aug 2008
Chicago, IL
Sep 11, 2013 11:37 |  #6

LowriderS10 wrote in post #16281171external link
Yeah, the X-E1 felt positively cheap. I doubt a body costing half as much will feel any better. ;)

The OM-D I ended up buying, on the other hand, felt just perfect (except for the widely lamented "squishy" buttons due to the weather sealing) from the second I picked it up.

The X-E1 felt hollow, thin and unsubstantial, the buttons felt cheap, the shutter button moved back and forth visibly (something I've seen other people complain about), etc...

Unless you have girl hands, the X-E1 feels fantastic ;)

Lore
flickrexternal link - Websiteexternal link - Blographyexternal link
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
Sep 11, 2013 19:53 |  #7

Lore wrote in post #16288150external link
Unless you have girl hands, the X-E1 feels fantastic ;)

What a stupid comment to make.

The X-E1 felt cheap, unsubstantial, hollow and poorly assembled. Nothing to do with one's hands.

-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Sep 12, 2013 17:31 |  #8

I didn't like the way the X-E1 felt either. The on/off switch wasn't tight and kind of "dangled" around along with all of the other issues mentioned. It is really hard to believe it is in the same price range as the EM-5, which feels professional and is built like a little tank.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
Sep 12, 2013 23:34 |  #9

BrickR wrote in post #16291854external link
I didn't like the way the X-E1 felt either. The on/off switch wasn't tight and kind of "dangled" around along with all of the other issues mentioned. It is really hard to believe it is in the same price range as the EM-5, which feels professional and is built like a little tank.

Agreed on all of the above!

I actually went into the mirrorless market with a huge dislike for M4/3 and a very strong like for the X-E1. In the end, I had it narrowed down to the Sony NEX-6, the X-E1 and the OM-D.

For build quality, I'd give the OM-D a slight (VERY slight) edge over the NEX-6, because the OM-D feels like a mini tank. The NEX-6, however bests the OM-D for button feel. (I know that may sound like nitpicking, but it's important when using a camera for long periods of time). The X-E1, felt the worst. By a long mile.

In the end, the decision came down to lenses. Sony had some good lenses, but quality control was brutal and decentering especially is rampant. Since I'm in Korea, I didn't feel like having to deal with having to return/warranty it. Fuji, as mentioned above, has a really poor lens line-up, and even though they've been promising certain basic lenses (UWA zoom, fast portrait prime) for a YEAR (!!!), they're nowhere to be seen. Olympus, on the other hand, had two UWA zooms and a ton of great primes.

Reluctantly, I went to a shop and picked up an OM-D...I fell in love with it instantly. It felt incredibly well-built and solid. The first time I handled an X-E1, I was equally shocked, but in the other direction. ;)

-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

Rally ­ Man
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009
SoCal
Sep 17, 2013 00:45 |  #10

$599 with 16-50mm

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Sep 17, 2013 06:43 |  #11

Hmm. I had the OMD and switched to Fuji EX1 after a few months. The Fuji cameras feel better in my hand. Add a soft release button if you don't like the way it feels with the original shutter button. A thumb-up bracket also further improves handling but I never need one.

Both has it's advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes it's down to personal preference. But I now use my X 100s more than anything.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links

2,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fujifilm X-A1
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.