Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 13:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would the 40mm pancake help or hinder?

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 22, 2013 13:35 |  #1

I've had a look on here and also on my Flickr groups but still can't find an answer to my query. Currently I'm using a 50mm MK2 which stops down to f1.8 on my Canon 1000d so for live band stuff with no flash I find I might get a shot at f2.8 1/100 sec and ISO 1600 with my 50mm ( shooting in manual so that changes in stage lighting won't throw things off too much, sometimes if I time it right I can even get f2.8 1/100 sec and ISO 800 )

The main issue I have with my 50mm is how it can hunt for focus if the lighting is bad. Reading up on the 40mm 2.8 it seems it's AF is faster and maybe quieter too.

So if I used the 40mm I would lose Aperture under f2.8 and maybe have to shoot at my camera's max ISO of 1600 more. But would the slight gain on focal width along with the faster AF be a plus or will I find myself having to swap back to the 50mm? Also the quieter focus noise is an issue ( is it quieter ? ) as some of the gigs I've shot at are intimate acoustic shows and I hate the noise my 50mm makes when it's hunting for focus.

So basically, does anyone use the 40mm pancake for live bands at ISO 1600 or less with decent results?

p.s. I know I should be using a better camera and better lenses too, but I'm just a hobbyist trying to get into live band stuff and can't afford to buy new gear right now :)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

sponsored links
narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,660 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 22, 2013 15:43 |  #2

maybe take a look at the sigma 35 or 50? even used?

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 22, 2013 16:16 |  #3

narlus wrote in post #16316745 (external link)
maybe take a look at the sigma 35 or 50? even used?

Even used, I don't know if they would fall into my current budget. But I am checking local listings.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added

Echo63
Goldmember
2,864 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2013 12:24 as a reply to  @ PMGphotog's post |  #4

It may help, but it may hinder too.

Your 50mm focuses wide open at 1.8
The 40mm can't open that far, so it has to focus at 2.8
The 50mm is letting in a bit over a stop more light in to help the camera focus accurately, and in low light stage show type conditions, you need all the help you can get.

EDIT - You said the 50 hunts sometimes, the 40 will too under the same conditions

The 40mm may wind up able to focus quicker, but you may be missing shots as there isn't enough light hitting the AF sensors to get good focus, and the lens just "hunts" back and forth.

(cameras focus with the aperture wide open, and don't stop the lens down till you take a shot, the lens stops down as the mirror is flipping out of the way)

Personally I would be saving a bit longer, and be getting a different, faster 50mm

I can't see people getting irritated at the 50mm noise, most gigs are loud enough to cover it unless they are right next to you (try it at your next gig, hold the camera out at arms length and see if you can hear it)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

white_aardvark
508 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 23, 2013 14:24 |  #5

I think the big issue here is your camera body rather than the lens. You could probably pick up a used 50D for a good price and would be way happier, even using your 50mm 1.8.

Also, when I started out I was using a 400D and 50mm 1.8 and I ended up manually focusing a lot of the time. It was faster and more accurate than hoping for autofocus.

In all, I would advise against investing in the 40mm when looking at your current gear.

http://www.photography​bysherv.com (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/photosbysherv (external link)

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 24, 2013 15:57 |  #6

On consideration I think I'll forget about the pancake and keep the cash aside for now. Thanks for the input guys, appreciated as always. :)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 24, 2013 16:06 |  #7

Buy a 40mm used and try it for a bit, sell it at the same price you bought it for... easiest way to give it a real world test. I have one and love it. I also have a 35L (for focal range comparison) and honestly if I am not shooting a wedding or something critical, I love me some 40mm STM - super small for easy carrying (on or off camera) and it auto focuses VERY accurately even in low light. Even a venue with almost non existent stage lighting should still be photograph-able at F/2.8 - 1/50 - 1600iso

I have owned the 50 1.8 and this 40mm 2.8 is far more functional due to the AF quality and close minimum focus distance IMO. The AF is much quieter as well.

Definitely worth checking out

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

overstable
28 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 24, 2013 23:14 |  #8

Pat McGuire wrote in post #16316532 (external link)
So basically, does anyone use the 40mm pancake for live bands at ISO 1600 or less with decent results?

I'm very much an enthusiastic amateur - just picked up a T3i less than six months ago. I added a 40mm pancake despite already owning a 50mm f/1.8 when one popped up on my local craigslist for $100. I figured the price wasn't a budget breaker and I could keep whichever lens I preferred and sell the other... Well, I still have them both ;)

It is definitely possible to get fine shots with the 40mm if the lighting isn't atrocious. This shot was taken at f/3.2, ISO800, 1/160, handheld :

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/WA9cFMa.jpg

That's Richard Fortus, guitarist for Guns & Roses, reuniting with his old band, Pale Divine. The show had a 'small cameras only' photo policy, so I brought my camera with just the 40mm attached. That's an advantage I hadn't really considered when I picked up the lens. Looking like a non-SLR has come in handy a couple of times...

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 30, 2013 18:48 |  #9

Slight update, I bought a sigma 30mm 1.4 instead. more than double the price of the pancake and I've not been able to use it for live gigs yet. But for my street stuff it works well. I'll know if it will work out for live band shoots on Saturday night :)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,660 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 01, 2013 09:09 |  #10

i had that lens and it was really good. enjoy!

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links

3,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would the 40mm pancake help or hinder?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.