Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 13:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Continuous Lights

MaryJane ­ Cannon
60 posts
Joined May 2012
Burbank, CA
Sep 03, 2013 13:14 |  #1

I have been using a 3 light set up with continuous lights. It works well for my needs so far, but once I get my studio set up, I don't think these lights will be strong enough. I also have two speedlites and a monolight (which I never use because the softbox is hard as all hell to set up). I want to stay with continuous lighting for studio if possible. I take pictures of pets and children and would prefer not to have the sudden flash. Any suggestions on maybe one really good continuous light?

Canon 6D - L Series, 24-105mm F4
My favorite accessory is my imagination ;)
www.maryjanecannon.comexternal link

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Sep 03, 2013 13:18 |  #2

Continuous lighting is a poor substitute for flash for that type of work. Its not bright enough to give you sufficient shutter speeds and depth of field for studio work. If you do somehow make it bright enough then its incredibly uncomfortable and intimidating for your subjects. Flash tends not to bother pets and most kids arent bothered by it either after they get used to it. Most people who are uncomfortable with flash will come up with a zillion reasons why they want to go with continuous, dont let yourself fall into that trap. Another downside to continuous is that your subjects get pin point pupils from looking into the bright lights.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Sep 03, 2013 17:26 |  #3

I like continuous lighting for portraits indoors because I can just snap away and not wait for recycle times...BUT not everyone likes it. Some people get a headache after a while and get frown lines in the forehead from squinting. Everyone is different. If I'm in front of the camera, I actually prefer constant but a girl I shoot from time to time really doesn't like the constant setup.
I prefer continuous for pets as well indoors because there is no telling what puppies and kittens will do and I want to always be ready to capture the moment. I've used both continuous and flash with pets and haven't found either one to bother them really.

As far as power goes, I find two 4 bank fluorescent and two 2 banks enough light (T8 bulbs if I remember correctly). 4 four banks would be even more power but I don't need that much for my size room. I set them up in a square pattern like a Peter Hurley setup only larger to allow for full body shots. 1 2bank on floor, 1 2 bank across the top, 1 4 bank on the left and right.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
London
Sep 06, 2013 16:00 |  #4

gonzogolf wrote in post #16264584external link
Continuous lighting is a poor substitute for flash for that type of work. Its not bright enough to give you sufficient shutter speeds and depth of field for studio work. If you do somehow make it bright enough then its incredibly uncomfortable and intimidating for your subjects. Flash tends not to bother pets and most kids arent bothered by it either after they get used to it. Most people who are uncomfortable with flash will come up with a zillion reasons why they want to go with continuous, dont let yourself fall into that trap. Another downside to continuous is that your subjects get pin point pupils from looking into the bright lights.

Plus one

I have both, and for studio work, it just has to be mono lights, preferably with a beauty dish and a diffuser, very fast to set up.
Not as good as a real soft-box but very close.
I don't understand the problem one poster had with recycle times at 1 second! Thats 60 shots per minute! 360 per hour!
Never got close to that!
Plus to equal that in power in continuous would be horrific to sit in front of.
But the creative side to me is the real issue.
In June I was a flash newbie, thinking well If the camera is good enough why do you need flash. I have taken a 180 degree U turn - flash = Lighting. and lighting is everything for me!
To me Speedlights are for outside, cos they are portable. But they dont touch Bowens IMO for studio work.
Creative wise the Bowens 500R's are just a million times better than continuous lights.
I would reserve Continuous purely for video work.

That said Imam a newbie and maybe others more experienced can achieve the same or better results a different way.
Guess its all personal taste.
And I think you NEED a reasonable ( not expensive) flash meter.

I do hold reservation on shooting big fit stallions, they might take offence to flash!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Sep 06, 2013 16:17 |  #5

MaryJane, you don't specify if you are using tungsten or fluorescent. But, you might want to look at the Photoflex Starliteexternal link, a compact bare bulb unit designed to work with softboxes and umbrellas. Plenty of power for portraits using either 500 or 1000 watt lamps. The same unit can be purchased with or outfitted with Photoflex's Coolstar fluorescent lamps as well. I have a couple Starlites I use in the studio and on location when called for and they're well designed. Keep in mind these have a mogul socket for studio bulbs, but you can get a $4 mogul adapter for standard bulbs increasing your versatility with lower wattage tungsten and fluorescent lamps. Great for fill and back lighting. Obviously, stay consistent with type and color temperature.

Also take a look at Lowel lightsexternal link such as the industry standard Omni-light and Tota-light or V-light. These are 250-500 watt units producing superb light. Lowel also has complete lines of fluorescent and LED lights I am less familiar with but widely used by studios. No argument from me about using strobes, but I think one thing still photographers tend to forget when debating strobe vs. continuous lights is the entire tv and film industry. Certainly strobes give us the ability to produce great photography, but some gorgeous lighting and cinematography are captured all the time using continuous lights, too.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010
San Jose, CA
Sep 06, 2013 23:26 |  #6

Submariner wrote in post #16274139external link
Plus one

I have both, and for studio work, it just has to be mono lights, preferably with a beauty dish and a diffuser, very fast to set up.
Not as good as a real soft-box but very close.
I don't understand the problem one poster had with recycle times at 1 second! Thats 60 shots per minute! 360 per hour!
Never got close to that!
Plus to equal that in power in continuous would be horrific to sit in front of.
But the creative side to me is the real issue.
In June I was a flash newbie, thinking well If the camera is good enough why do you need flash. I have taken a 180 degree U turn - flash = Lighting. and lighting is everything for me!
To me Speedlights are for outside, cos they are portable. But they dont touch Bowens IMO for studio work.
Creative wise the Bowens 500R's are just a million times better than continuous lights.
I would reserve Continuous purely for video work.

That said Imam a newbie and maybe others more experienced can achieve the same or better results a different way.
Guess its all personal taste.
And I think you NEED a reasonable ( not expensive) flash meter.

I do hold reservation on shooting big fit stallions, they might take offence to flash!

Might want to check that shots per hour statistic.

:)

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
London
Sep 07, 2013 04:11 |  #7

Oh dear my maths, :0 :0, 3,600 per hour! Thanks Pyrojim.
No wonder I never saw any slow down; lol in say a 400 shot 6 hour shoot!

Certainly makes my point!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Sep 07, 2013 21:41 |  #8

MaryJane Cannon wrote in post #16264572external link
I take pictures of pets and children.

Right there is two good reasons to use flash. Your subects rarely stop moving, so your flash has to do that for you.

I think more monolights are in your future.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Frisco, TX
Sep 07, 2013 23:01 |  #9

I mixed things up depending on what I shoot with constant or strobes.

Currently, I've been experimenting with T8 lights.

If you're more comfortable with constant lights, sounds like you'll need to add or upgrade your lights.

My current DIY.
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​327640

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

Vitoflo
241 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Venice Italy
Sep 09, 2013 07:08 as a reply to mchong75's post |  #10

When it comes to constant light you can go for T8 fluorescent lamps or the newer T5. Also, there are compact fluorescent lamps such as the Osram Dulux L which gives off more light (higher Lumen value) for the same power (55W usually). Most of those lamps have CRI>90. Yet, green tint must be dealt with!

kickmaster
Joined Nov 2004
San Diego. CA
Sep 10, 2013 08:27 |  #11

Working on some 4 bulb t5 units right now. Results soon.

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Sep 13, 2013 13:16 |  #12

Just saw this and seems the new market of hybrid photographer is spawning a new breed of continuous lighting.

Here is a shot by Neil van Niekirk using Sola 4 LED Fresnel lights. Read his blog here (external link) to learn more about the Litepanels Sola 4. Each unit is pricey, about $1350.

IMAGE: http://neilvn.com/tangents/images/models/olena/831_4296-retouch.jpg

IMAGE: http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/867967.jpg

Also just received an announcement about this option (hopefully cheaper than the Sola) from Photoflex for the NorthStar LED. It promises the equivalent of a 1000 watt tungsten using only a 100 watt LED. Continuous dimmer, flicker free and CRI 85. No Kelvin given. Obviously will accept Litedomes, Octodomes, and BDs.

IMAGE: http://photoflex.com/images/uploads/Products/LED/FV-NRTHSTR100W_Front-Hero_Grid.jpg

kickmaster
Joined Nov 2004
San Diego. CA
Sep 25, 2013 16:04 |  #13

First image is: (2) 4 light vertical banks, and a horz. 2 light bank.

Second image: (1) 4 light vertical bank, and a reflector.

T-5 Lights.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

riffster
Joined Apr 2009
Ohio
Sep 27, 2013 16:09 |  #14

I just bought a couple of Fotodiox LED100WA's. Pretty happy with them so far and no where near the cost of LitePanels & Photoflex. My LED100WA's are 100watt LED (around 600 watts) with a bowens mount, so none of that odd square panel style. A couple adapters later and I'm using most of my existing modifiers. I'm all over this LED stuff. Maybe I'll do a write-up on them sometime.

http://fstoppers.com ...-video-light-worth-havingexternal link

5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Valencia, CA
Sep 29, 2013 21:19 as a reply to riffster's post |  #15

I just a Fitness Wear Campaign using continuous lights .... my first time using it.... pretty easy to use.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3825/10008032536_04c6faacd1_b.jpg

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

sponsored links

3,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Continuous Lights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.