Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Sep 2013 (Friday) 17:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yet another "How do you achieve this look" post...

Edsport
662 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 29, 2013 07:21 as a reply to  @ post 16332492 |  #16

Before and after. Any Better?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cameras - Canon 350D, 5D
Lenses - Canon 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 50mm f/1.8, 24-105L, 24-70L
Flashes - Yongnuo YN460 II, YN468
RF-602 transmitter and 2 receivers

sponsored links
faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2013 07:36 |  #17

Edsport....yup clearly, there is more punch here.

Can you run me past by what you did? It couldn't have been just increasing the exposure :D

My Flickr Photostream (external link)
My 5∞px Page (external link)

faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2013 07:37 |  #18

I can see some blur applied to the background as well! Looks very nice and much more appealing.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 29, 2013 10:10 |  #19

I can tell right off the bat the photos you want to replicate are full-frame + prime lensed by her shallow DOF, and very minimal processing (contrast boost and color fix). It's not that impressive to be honest, and I've had a hard time shooting similar on a 7D without these very minimal touchups to help create pop though.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/USFaJAs.jpg

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,634 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 29, 2013 12:05 |  #20

A small jpeg so there's only so much one can do, but here's my quick and dirty attempt...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2013 12:11 |  #21

Nicely done....mind sharing your techniques?

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,634 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 29, 2013 12:33 |  #22

I don't know if I can recall all my steps, but I started out making a luminosity mask for the light parts, then duplicated the background layer, changed blending mode to screen, put the luminosity mask in place to protect the lights, adjusted opacity to my liking.
Then made another mask for the boy and the blanket, inverted the selection, applied a Gaussian blur of 20% or so, changed blending mode to Screen again, adjusted opacity to my liking, then used a soft brush of 8px or so to make a nice transition between the foreground and the background. Also lightened the background a bit more using curves and darkened the boy's face slightly, also using curves. Added a bit of vibrance to the light parts of the image (using the luminosity mask again), made an edge mask and sharpened lightly.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 29, 2013 16:40 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #23

my try on the pictures.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

commonjunks
588 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 29, 2013 20:43 |  #24

I think you have to play a bit with software tools also.
spend around 15 minutes (not a pro here) and here what i have

original

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wUfv1jb75Dk/TtJxkQAcCUI/AAAAAAAAA1w/D1vO5hYPDMQ/w883-h619-no/Adam_Park.jpg
LR changes
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/1QnYwH5.jpg

5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

Redcrown
331 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 30, 2013 00:49 |  #25

To understand the "style" of target photos you show, look at some numbers. First look at the histograms. The target photos are all fairly high key.

Load a few in Photoshop, display the histogram, put you cursor on the composite histogram in the middle (near level 128), hold and drag to the right and read the percentile. In the target photos the percentile of the tones above 128 is 60% to 80%. On your images it's just the opposite.

Two reasons for that. One is exposure and processing, the other is just the scene. The target photos are of a blond, pale, light skinned girl, wearing light toned clothing, against a neutral to light toned background.

Your photos have equivalent backgrounds, but your boy has darker skin tones, black hair, and is usually wearing dark clothing. Plus your exposures are much lower.

Add a Levels adjustment layer to one of your photos (I tried #5). Grab the middle slider and move it to the left, a lot. From 1.0 to 1.8 or 2.0. That will get you a long way toward matching the target. After that, add a moderate s-curve to bring back some contrast.

If you have Adobe Camera Raw, try this on your image #5. Exposure +1.25, Highlights -40, Shadows +45.

Next, look at saturation. Use the eyedropper, set one of the info pallet readouts to HSB, wave the eyedropper around on a target image and watch the "S" value in the info pallet, particularly on skin tones. They run between 20% and 30% with (B) Brightness averaging 85%. Your face skin saturation values are 45% to 55%. If you want your boy to look like that girl, brighten the face and lower the saturation. However, I wouldn't advise that.

It's possible the girl in the target photos is really that pale, but I doubt it. I suspect some selective saturation adjustments have been made. Either through a custom camera profile, or some individual RGB channel(or masked) adjustments.

And FWIW, I don't think camera body or lens has anything to do with the target style. Your photos have equivalent sharpness, DOF, and perspective.

Edsport
662 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 30, 2013 07:08 |  #26

faizanrashid wrote in post #16332954 (external link)
Edsport....yup clearly, there is more punch here.

Can you run me past by what you did? It couldn't have been just increasing the exposure :D

It was mostly blurring the background, slight sharpening of the boy and some dodging to lighten up his face but as mentioned by someone else about the photos being taken with a full frame camera, i agree with that...

Cameras - Canon 350D, 5D
Lenses - Canon 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 50mm f/1.8, 24-105L, 24-70L
Flashes - Yongnuo YN460 II, YN468
RF-602 transmitter and 2 receivers

sponsored links

2,826 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yet another "How do you achieve this look" post...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.