Can I do star shots with any of my lenses?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 30 Sep 2013 (Monday) 17:44   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I live in a city with bad air and too much light pollution so I've never really tried to do any night landscapes with star shots. But I'm visiting family in Southern Utah soon and wanted to try some. Ive got my gear list in my signature, can I do these kinds of shots with what I have? 15mm f3.5 bright enough? Should I use my 22mm f2 on the EOS M instead?

I'm assuming wide aperture and medium ISO?

Post #1, Sep 30, 2013 17:44:20

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
1,904 posts
Local Yocal, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Faster lenses are ALWAYS better for night sky pics so try some with your 22mm and your 30mm.

However, while playing around I tried using my 17-40 for the milky way near the Moab desert (pic below). Dark sky area far enough away from any towns. 5DII, 17mm, f/4, 39 sec, ISO 6400, so it is doable with a slower lens. Just be prepared for lots of noise clean up when using higher ISOs.

IMAGE: http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy173/go_pics/sky/6308_17-40_zps75f30e8c.jpg

Post #2, Oct 01, 2013 13:09:45

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,351 posts
west coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

One thing to remember is with any lens shooting stars, you can only expose for so long before the rotation of the earth becomes apparent. When that happens you'll get star trails, IOW in your photo the stars start to elongate. The only way to avoid this is to have a tracking mount, which I'll assume you don't have. However you can still get very good results with just your camera and a sturdy tripod. For examples you may want to look thru this thread. Good luck and post back in the Astronomy and Celestial photo sharing section

There is a way to find out how long you can expose with a given focal length before you'll see star trails form, this formula will cover full frame and 1.6 crop bodies.
divide 600 by the focal length of the lens = maximum number of seconds before star trails form, for a full frame camera body.
For a crop body first convert the lens to the full frame equivalent; ex. 14mm lens x 1.6 = 22.4mm
600 / 22.4 = 26 seconds

Post #3, Oct 01, 2013 18:46:28 as a reply to spotz04's post 5 hours earlier.

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the math above. I'll give it a try.

Suppose I wanted to try one with star trails, how long do you need to expose for a noticeable rotation

Post #4, Oct 01, 2013 21:21:44

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
1,904 posts
Local Yocal, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Most do star trails in multiple short exposures, as opposed to one long exposure, and then stack the pics. Use startrails.exe.

http://startrails.de/external link

Also, take some dark frames, same shots but with your lens cap on -- helps to eliminate all the hot pixels that will be created from your long exposures. Use these in the stacking process, shot right after you do your light (star pics) frames.

Post #5, Oct 02, 2013 06:40:03 as a reply to tkbslc's post 9 hours earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
topdslrs
Joined Aug 2013
98 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

the jimmy wrote in post #16339345external link
One thing to remember is with any lens shooting stars, you can only expose for so long before the rotation of the earth becomes apparent. When that happens you'll get star trails, IOW in your photo the stars start to elongate. The only way to avoid this is to have a tracking mount, which I'll assume you don't have. However you can still get very good results with just your camera and a sturdy tripod. For examples you may want to look thru this thread. Good luck and post back in the Astronomy and Celestial photo sharing section

There is a way to find out how long you can expose with a given focal length before you'll see star trails form, this formula will cover full frame and 1.6 crop bodies.
divide 600 by the focal length of the lens = maximum number of seconds before star trails form, for a full frame camera body.
For a crop body first convert the lens to the full frame equivalent; ex. 14mm lens x 1.6 = 22.4mm
600 / 22.4 = 26 seconds

I'd like to add that the earth's rotation is more pronounced and apparent in photos at lower latitudes.

Post #6, Oct 04, 2013 14:53:13

Try our DSLR Simulatorexternal link
TOPDSLRS.COMexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
704 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I do star shots with any of my lenses?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES