Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > HDR
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of October 2013 (Sat)   #16
Hen3Ry

Default Re: Anyone here works on 32bit HDR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
If I get this correctly then if I use Photoshop CC I don't need to use an HDR program right? everything is done inside Photoshop?

However, I will not hire anything from Adobe, which is essentially what you're doing if you purchase Photoshop CC, so I'm staying with CS6+an HDR program.
Well, if that's your position, that's fine. But you can accomplish the same effect using only PS CS6 and ACR 7 if you take a side trip through 32 bit TIFFLand. It's just more difficult and time consuming. But get used to it...this is the kind of marketing "technical barrier" that Adobe is adept at. No "32-bit-HDR-toning-with-ACR for youu!!!"

Or the next must-have feature that comes along, unless you get the latest version

But really - for ten bucks a month (current customers only) you get the whole PS/LR/ACR CC package. That's less than the price of an annual upgrade, if I remember correctly. That's legal customers, and it's a pretty good deal.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.
Hen3Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of October 2013 (Sun)   #17
GaryS1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
If I get this correctly then if I use Photoshop CC I don't need to use an HDR program right? everything is done inside Photoshop?

However, I will not hire anything from Adobe, which is essentially what you're doing if you purchase Photoshop CC, so I'm staying with CS6+an HDR program.
CS6 has HDR built in. Under File select Automate. Under Automate select Merge to HDR Pro. Follow instructions.
Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Canon T2i, 18-55 & 55-250 Canon kit lenses, Canon 15-85, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 18-200, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control
GaryS1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2013 (Wed)   #18
Hen3Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
CS6 has HDR built in. Under File select Automate. Under Automate select Merge to HDR Pro. Follow instructions.
As long as you update ACR from 7 to 8, it's very straightforward.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of October 2013 (Wed)   #19
kirkt
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen3Ry View Post
No longer any need. in CC, use Bridge to select multiple images and Tools==>Photoshop==>Merge to HDR Pro

In HDR Pro click on Remove Ghosts if necessary, and Click on the "Tone in Camera Raw" button.

In ACR 8, apply toning as a 32 bit object. When done, click on Open Image and you are in PS CC with a 32 bit Smart Object with a Camera Raw Filter applied.

You will need to change Mode to 16 bit before any really useful filters aside from Exposure and Levels are available.

Naturally, you can only do this with ACR 8, and the only way you get that, as far as I know, is if you sign up for CC.

I never used to Sharpen in ACR, but it makes sense to do so now.
... unless you have a bunch of .EXR or .HDR files and you want to use Lightroom to tone them. Then you need a way to convert them to floating point TIFF to do anything in LR. Performing this conversion is pretty straightforward in most any HDR application, but is an extra step. Toning in the currently perpetually-licensed LR is a viable workflow for those not wanting to subscribe to CC; however, to use the whiz-bang 32bit toning in LR, you need a bloated 32bit TIFF.

If you have PS CC, then the self-contained workflow does not require a 32bit TIFF, as you have described.

kirk
kirkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2013 (Wed)   #20
monty87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkt View Post
... unless you have a bunch of .EXR or .HDR files and you want to use Lightroom to tone them. Then you need a way to convert them to floating point TIFF to do anything in LR. Performing this conversion is pretty straightforward in most any HDR application, but is an extra step. Toning in the currently perpetually-licensed LR is a viable workflow for those not wanting to subscribe to CC; however, to use the whiz-bang 32bit toning in LR, you need a bloated 32bit TIFF.

If you have PS CC, then the self-contained workflow does not require a 32bit TIFF, as you have described.

kirk
I have moved to using Lightroom for majority of my image editing. For HDR I select my image set in lightroom -> Merge to HDR Pro (create 32bit image) and then it returns the 32bit image back to lightroom, where I do my tone mapping. I am assuming the image that is returned back to lighroom is in Tiff format. Is there a disadvantage to using the "Bloaded" 32bit TIFF. I need to wrap my head around the different 32bit image formats
Old 16th of October 2013 (Wed)   #21
kirkt
Goldmember

Just file size. I assume you are not going to be storing alpha channels, etc., in your 32bit files.

kirk
Old 17th of October 2013 (Thu)   #22
Hen3Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkt View Post
Just file size. I assume you are not going to be storing alpha channels, etc., in your 32bit files.

kirk
Yes, actually. But bear in mind that there are only so many layer types you can add in 32 bit mode. Exposure, Levels, and a couple of more, though of course, you can add multiples of these for local work by making selections and using layers to apply the affect. And in CC and CS6 the base layer is a Smart Object.

Once you get done doing some toning work, you can merge visible, and the object doesn't wind up getting too large. I have a 32 bit multiple layer (about five layers, I think) image I'm playing with now that's around 180MB...not really that big.

Old 17th of October 2013 (Thu)   #23
Celtboy

How do you get 32bit from camera raw?
Celtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of October 2013 (Thu)   #24
kirkt
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtboy View Post
How do you get 32bit from camera raw?
You cannot generate a 32bit file straight from ACR for a single raw - you can use ACR or LR to invoke Photoshop's Merge to HDR Pro to merge multiple raw files into a single, 32bit file.

You can use ACR/LR to convert a single raw file to a 16bit file and then open that file in PS and change the mode to 32bit, if you want. If you try to use Merge To HDR Pro and specify only one raw file,the "OK" button will be grayed out - that is, you cannot merge only one file.

kirk