Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 08 Nov 2013 (Friday) 04:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Jobu Jr3 Plate Help

Steve ­ Campbell
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Nov 08, 2013 04:36 |  #1

I just picked up a used Jobu Jr3 Gimbal head in a local sale. It did not have an attachment plate so I will need one. It looks like this might be the one I need:

http://www.jobu-design.com/Surefoot-NX2--45_p_27.htmlexternal link

My question is, is this indeed what I need and does it just screw onto the base of a camera body or tripod ring on the lens and then attach to the gimbal head? Also, is this the type of plate that I can use if I want to attach one of those RRS L plates?

I guess if this works I'll get the Jobu made one, even though I have seen cheaper ones on Amazon. I'll be using it with a 300 2.8 IS and a 70-200 2.8 IS II.

Gear List
5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 09, 2013 04:08 |  #2

Steve Campbell wrote in post #16434116external link
I just picked up a used Jobu Jr3 Gimbal head in a local sale. It did not have an attachment plate so I will need one. It looks like this might be the one I need:

http://www.jobu-design.com/Surefoot-NX2--45_p_27.htmlexternal link

My question is, is this indeed what I need and does it just screw onto the base of a camera body or tripod ring on the lens and then attach to the gimbal head? Also, is this the type of plate that I can use if I want to attach one of those RRS L plates?

I guess if this works I'll get the Jobu made one, even though I have seen cheaper ones on Amazon. I'll be using it with a 300 2.8 IS and a 70-200 2.8 IS II.

The heads don't come with plates as standard. Any Arca-Swiss plate will work with the head (including the Jobu one you've shown). Some people prefer to stick with branded plates or even plates of the same brand as the head to ensure quality/compatibility but I think this is more of an issue with heads fitted with a quick-release clamp. The Jobu has a traditional screw clamp so will work with anything.

I would recommend getting a plate for each of your lenses: (a) you need a hex key to swap them over, and (b) you can get plates that are optimised for the type of lens/camera they attach to.

An L-plate attaches directly to your camera and fits directly into the head. No other plates are required. You will only need one if your lens doesn't have a tripod collar and you need to attach your camera to the head instead.

flickr (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nov 09, 2013 05:40 as a reply to Scott_online's post |  #3

I have the NX-2 for both the 300/4 and 400/5.6. Works well. I love the Jobu. I removed the sidearm though and use it as a sidekick.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

654 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jobu Jr3 Plate Help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.