Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 19:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Bag for 500 F4L MkII + TC + Camera Attached

powaysteve
518 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Poway, California
Nov 07, 2013 15:08 as a reply to post 16432439 |  #16

I have both of the bags that have been discussed at length (The Lowepro LensTrekker 600AWII and the Gura Gear Battaflae 32L). Although I do not have a 500/f4 I do have the 200-400/f4 which is about the same length as the 500/f4.

The Lowepro bag is definitely bulker than the Gura gear and is a couple of inches taller since it was meant to be able to hold a 600mm w/body attached or an 800mm by itself. It is also much thicker in padding than the Gura Gear (actually the padding seems like overkill to me). You can add Lowepro S&F attachments although that does make the bag even bulkier. It does come with a great tripod support system. All in all I only use it if I am only taking one body and the 200-400 with me.

The Gura Gear Battaflae 32L is amazing. It is lightweight (Feels like it is half the weight of the Lowepro). You can have the body attached to a 500mm or the 200-400mm and it will fit in one side( although not with the TC attached). I don't fly with bodies attached to lens but it is an easy mod to the bag to have the body attached to the lens when you are out shooting.

I have not flown with it, but I have flown with an F-Stop Loka which is dimensionally bigger than the Gura Gear. I had no issues flying with the F-stop so the Gura Gear should be fine. I have had 33 pounds in my Battaflae for 6 hours hiking around the San Diego Safari Park and while I was tired at the end of the day I was not sore at all. The bag is very well balanced and sits with the weight on your hips. The ability to open only half the bag to get some gear out is a wonderful feature. The only improvement to me would be some thicker material covering the bottom so it protects the bag when you put it on the ground. They provide a rain cover which is supposed to double as a ground cover but I don't always take the time to get it out.

sponsored links
jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Nov 07, 2013 16:46 |  #17

I can squeeze in my 5D3 w/ grip, 1.4X TC and 500 with lens reversed. It is tight and I wouldn't want to carry it this way if I were tossing the bag about. But when I go to what used to be my mother-in-laws house for a day the camera fits good enough for the car ride up there.

My original point of getting a large bag was mostly for local usage only given they are too large for airlines. It does become a specialty bag of sorts which again makes the Kinesis bag look attractive, having the ability to add on additional bags if needed. I am having to give thought to just how much this bag would be used though I can see the convenience for my mountain trips and the ease in which I could load my camera and run. I like the Lowepro price better but the Kinesis is much lighter.. it also makes my wallet much lighter!

Hm maybe a Christmas gift.. that way I won't worry about the $$ as much :) Wierd way of rationalization I realize!

PS Anyone wanting more padding in bottom of their Gura bag (and I agree it could use a little) just buy some 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch dense neoprene that has a sticky back (or leave loose for removal).

powaysteve wrote in post #16432727external link
I have both of the bags that have been discussed at length (The Lowepro LensTrekker 600AWII and the Gura Gear Battaflae 32L). Although I do not have a 500/f4 I do have the 200-400/f4 which is about the same length as the 500/f4.

The Lowepro bag is definitely bulker than the Gura gear and is a couple of inches taller since it was meant to be able to hold a 600mm w/body attached or an 800mm by itself. It is also much thicker in padding than the Gura Gear (actually the padding seems like overkill to me). You can add Lowepro S&F attachments although that does make the bag even bulkier. It does come with a great tripod support system. All in all I only use it if I am only taking one body and the 200-400 with me.

The Gura Gear Battaflae 32L is amazing. It is lightweight (Feels like it is half the weight of the Lowepro). You can have the body attached to a 500mm or the 200-400mm and it will fit in one side( although not with the TC attached). I don't fly with bodies attached to lens but it is an easy mod to the bag to have the body attached to the lens when you are out shooting.

I have not flown with it, but I have flown with an F-Stop Loka which is dimensionally bigger than the Gura Gear. I had no issues flying with the F-stop so the Gura Gear should be fine. I have had 33 pounds in my Battaflae for 6 hours hiking around the San Diego Safari Park and while I was tired at the end of the day I was not sore at all. The bag is very well balanced and sits with the weight on your hips. The ability to open only half the bag to get some gear out is a wonderful feature. The only improvement to me would be some thicker material covering the bottom so it protects the bag when you put it on the ground. They provide a rain cover which is supposed to double as a ground cover but I don't always take the time to get it out.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Nov 07, 2013 17:31 |  #18

I have the original version of the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 and find it to be a pretty good pack. It will just accommodate my 800 F5.6 with 1 series body attached, though these days I normally use it for my 300 F2.8 (with or without extenders) and 1 series body attached - the hood is not reversed..
The main pack I use is the Lowepro Super Trekker AW ii, this allows me to carry both big lenses a couple of bodies, tripods etc as well as essentials like a flask of tea ans resuscitation equipment in case there are any hills!
If you only want to carry 1 big lens and the necessary accessories then the Lens Trekker 600 is the best option I have tried - so far.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Nov 07, 2013 17:43 |  #19

Thx John,

And yes this "idea" of mine is exactly that.. a specialty bag with mostly one purpose in mind though if it has ability to expand somewhat to hold TC's and/or my 24-105 that is helpful.

My Gura 32L is my primary camera bag for trips and times when I need the kitchen sink. But those times when I will bbe in and out of the car numerous times having a large camera bag might be nice. It get sold having to reverse hood 12 times in a single day as I sometimes do several car jumps when shooting locally. That is what gave me the idea of buying a large bag for my camera + TC + 500F4 with hood in shooting position. Just lazy convenience on my part.

I may actually be leaning toward the Kinesis at the moment since it has room for either TC to be attached with hood in shooting position. As I was warned though it may prove to be too huge a bag to enjoy and like many things if you don't enjoy using it all it will catch is dust.

johnf3f wrote in post #16433058external link
I have the original version of the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 and find it to be a pretty good pack. It will just accommodate my 800 F5.6 with 1 series body attached, though these days I normally use it for my 300 F2.8 (with or without extenders) and 1 series body attached - the hood is not reversed..
The main pack I use is the Lowepro Super Trekker AW ii, this allows me to carry both big lenses a couple of bodies, tripods etc as well as essentials like a flask of tea ans resuscitation equipment in case there are any hills!
If you only want to carry 1 big lens and the necessary accessories then the Lens Trekker 600 is the best option I have tried - so far.

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 09, 2013 05:02 |  #20

If it hasn't already been mentioned, have a look at the TT Glass Limo. It's a taller version of the Glass Taxi.

flickr (external link)

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Nov 09, 2013 16:41 |  #21

Thx Scott. The TT series are too small for what I was originally seeking. Nice bags though. I have a Gura Gear 32L bag that serves as my primary bag and travel bag and it owrks very well for that. I can just squeeze in my 5D3 with grip, 1.4X Tc and 500F4 with hood reversed but it is a squeeze and does not exactly present me with quick simple access.

After reading through the posts here and thinking about it some more I remain steadfastly.. undecided :)

But 2 bags have caught my attention and am giving them more thought.

One, the Tamrac 5793. Looks to be well padded and appears it wwill hold the camera + lens fairly well in place, I like how front panel pulls down giving access to the lens for removal. I prefer not having to pull a long lens from a tunnel so to speak (something it seems the Kinesis L622 would require as its front does not pull down). Hood would need to be reversed in this bag but it should be large enough to carry camera plus either TC connected to 500F4. It is expandable via external bags and would even meet most airline requirements if I ever chose to use it for such. Main goal though is for local travel and easy access.

Two, Kinesis L611. This is a large bag that would hold camera with lens hood in shooting position. Front pulls down partially. Too big for airline requirements though that is not a really important issue. My main concerns with this bag include what seems to be fairly thin padding, front only partially pulls down for access, and the sides offer little support such as the L622's polycore. I would love to know how well the 500F4 fits when it is in the bag. It is a possibility and aside from L622 is one of afew bags to allow shooting position hood regardless of TC attached.

When driving about and moving to several locations the shooting position part can come into play for me. The L611 though when outfitted with shoulder harness, etc becomes quite pricey.

Still chewing on things.. for now the Tamrac MAY be in the lead due to cost and flexibility not to mention front pulldown access and padding! John

Scott_online wrote in post #16436775external link
If it hasn't already been mentioned, have a look at the TT Glass Limo. It's a taller version of the Glass Taxi.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
546 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Nov 18, 2013 22:22 |  #22

Dear JDAVIS37/John, TC202 and POWAYSTEVE et al,

Just a little follow up to thank you guys… for taking the time & for your comments about the Gura Gear Bataflae 32L.
I ordered & just received last Friday a 32L-black!

Good capacity accommodates everything I specified except ID: H20” doesn’t hold a 1DmkIII (or 1DX) with mounted 500f4+TC2X mkIII (only with my TC1.4X mkII;, i.e. ID is ½” too short). You guys warned me, but I was hoping a little bit of gentle female persuasion would help, but the bag/zippers had other ideas! just wouldn’t accommodate my extra requirement of a TC2x mkIII, but that's ok. Also can’t understand why the external front two pockets were not designed to unzip a complete 180 degrees for easier access.

However, overall quite satisfied, with its characteristically deceiving capacity & delightful light net weight.

The Gura Gear 32L arrived just in time for a little eagle observing:
http://www.env.gov.bc.​ca ...rkpgs/brackendale_e​agles/external link
http://www.prettyestat​eresort.com/eagle-web-cam-harrison-mills/external link

JDAVIS37/John - good luck with your bag iterations..

Thanks again & happy shooting!

Mary
P.S. POWAYSTEVE - I visited your lovely San Diego Wild Safari Park five yrs ago and while feeding a giraffe some leaves from a game truck it inquisitively spat on my lens! It was interesting to observe the various animals' behaviors (including predator & survivor instincts) in their "natural" settings.

MARY

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Nov 19, 2013 16:47 |  #23

Mary,

Congrats on the Gura Gear.. I have the previous version and use it for most of my travels and storage of much of my gear I frequently used.

The only thing it is not great at is (a) the 2X TC part and (b) just easy access when any TC is attached. Overall though it is a wonderful bag. With a 300 f2.8 etc it owrks really well.

I bought a Tamrac 5793 and overall think it is a good bag. I have not yet used it in the field and was surprised how small the bag actually is. It will just barely fit my 500 + 2X attached to my 5d3 + grip with hood reversed. It has good padding and support and will expand as needed with their MAS system. Otherwise it has little room for anything else such as TC's.

I am still considering the Kinesis L611 though from what I can see it lacks much internal support and seems like it has less padding for protection. Reversing hood isn't a big deal in actuality. The Tamrac securely holds the camera in the bag and seems more than capable of doing what I want. A specialty bag when I am doing short trips and shooting mostly critters/birds.

Many options out there and not much chance to see them in person. I wish I could see the Kinesis in person as I dislike buying anything with a 50% or higher chance of returning it but in the end I may need to consider that if I want to compare them directly! But, the Tamrac overall seems like a well made bag and is small enough for airline travel if needed!

happy2010 wrote in post #16462596external link

Just a little follow up to thank you guys… for taking the time & for your comments about the Gura Gear Bataflae 32L.

Good capacity accommodates everything I specified except ID: H20” doesn’t hold a 1DmkIII (or 1DX) with mounted 500f4+TC2X mkIII (only with my TC1.4X mkII;, i.e. ID is ½” too short). You guys warned me, but I was hoping a little bit of gentle female persuasion would help, but the bag/zippers had other ideas! just wouldn’t accommodate my extra requirement of a TC2x mkIII, but that's ok. Also can’t understand why the external front two pockets were not designed to unzip a complete 180 degrees for easier access.

However, overall quite satisfied, with its characteristically deceiving capacity & delightful light net weight.

The Gura Gear 32L arrived just in time for a little eagle observing:
http://www.env.gov.bc.​ca ...rkpgs/brackendale_e​agles/external link
http://www.prettyestat​eresort.com/eagle-web-cam-harrison-mills/external link

JDAVIS37/John - good luck with your bag iterations..

Mary
P.S. POWAYSTEVE - I visited your lovely San Diego Wild Safari Park five yrs ago and while feeding a giraffe some leaves from a game truck it inquisitively spat on my lens! It was interesting to observe the various animals' behaviors (including predator & survivor instincts) in their "natural" settings.

powaysteve
518 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Poway, California
Nov 19, 2013 17:11 |  #24

happy2010 wrote in post #16462596external link

Mary

Mary,

you are very welcome! Glad it looks like it will suit your needs.

The Wild Animal Park (now called Safari Park) is a truly awesome animal experience because many of the enclosures are open without wire mesh or glass so it is great from a photographers perspective. Its the next best thing to going to Africa!

Steve

P.S. The camels are worse and more accurate spitters than the giraffe.:lol:

happy2010
Looking for the light first
546 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Nov 19, 2013 19:58 |  #25

JDAVIS37/John – That Tamrac 5793 looks like a nice choice and relatively compact bag for your stated/designated application. I’m happy you found some solution.
(I guess the root cause of the problem is that this camera + lenses stuff is still manufactured too big & heavy) particularly for an active/mobile, or an aging consumer base).
I have the same dilemma regarding not being able to view photography gear(particularly pro gear) before purchasing. (even though live in major city & port in North America). I prefer to conduct myself in life (including with photography) with “do it right the first time” concept and am discerning - preferring quality to quantity. Luck seems to favor those that are prepared (a good boy scout/girl guide principle right).
So like you, research is key... I find some manufacturer’s & retailer’s web sites such as www.bhphotovideo.comexternal link extremely well designed & a wealth of product knowledge [with useful sort criteria (eg for example “best sellers”) and product characteristics (eg. OD & ID size, or weight, etc) as well as customer reviews]. Also with www.google.comexternal link as your research friend and www.youtube.comexternal link video (for seeing the subject product in 3D, etc.). Not to mention forums like POTN (with a variety of experienced users) I find all of these sources helpful in my product evaluation processes.

POWAYSTEVE – I am only an occasional visitor, but California definitely seems to be a state with the “fun factor” - Enjoy!
(although quiet & nice places like Poway, Carlsbad, etc. sure appear to be growing over the last 5-15 years as the urban sprawl continues… yikes. Thanks also for the insight about the camels, I thought all I had to do was watch out for all the thousands of drivers on your massive freeways)

Thank you again guys!

Mary

MARY

sponsored links

3,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bag for 500 F4L MkII + TC + Camera Attached
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.