Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 22 Nov 2013 (Friday) 09:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking of a Fuji X something or other...

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,844 posts
Joined Jul 2007
NE Ohio
Nov 22, 2013 09:15 |  #1

I've done some searches and have to admit to being a little overwhelmed trying to pick up on what is the best way to go. I plan on keeping my Canon 1DM3 and 24-105 as well as 70-200 II but maybe selling the 135 (winces) for a small but capable camera like the Fuji. I want to use it on an upcoming trip to Ethiopia where it can be a real PITA to lug around the DSLR (for what I am doing there). I'll mainly be shooting people and some landscape type stuff.

First, does this sound like a good way to go for my purposes and second, (with budget in mind..proceeds from the 135 sale mainly), which camera would you buy and why? Sorry for such an open ended type question but I feel like the more I searched, the more uncertain I became about which way to go. Thanks!

Scott Evans Photographyexternal link
SportsShooterProfileexternal link l MaxPreps Profileexternal link
Gear List

sponsored links
sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 22, 2013 10:41 |  #2

namasste wrote in post #16471732external link
I've done some searches and have to admit to being a little overwhelmed trying to pick up on what is the best way to go. I plan on keeping my Canon 1DM3 and 24-105 as well as 70-200 II but maybe selling the 135 (winces) for a small but capable camera like the Fuji. I want to use it on an upcoming trip to Ethiopia where it can be a real PITA to lug around the DSLR (for what I am doing there). I'll mainly be shooting people and some landscape type stuff.

First, does this sound like a good way to go for my purposes and second, (with budget in mind..proceeds from the 135 sale mainly), which camera would you buy and why? Sorry for such an open ended type question but I feel like the more I searched, the more uncertain I became about which way to go. Thanks!

If you are planning a trip, get a mirroless, no way your going to like to carry a huge DSLR, I know I just purchased the Fuji X-E2.
So far so good, I got to do some more shooting with it, before commenting on it deeply.
Love the lens, love the AF, love the EVF, the IS on this lens is great, great built.
There is also a small flash, and the menu is amazing, real fast and comprehensive.

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,844 posts
Joined Jul 2007
NE Ohio
Nov 22, 2013 10:53 |  #3

sega62 wrote in post #16471909external link
If you are planning a trip, get a mirroless, no way your going to like to carry a huge DSLR, I know I just purchased the Fuji X-E2.
So far so good, I got to do some more shooting with it, before commenting on it deeply.
Love the lens, love the AF, love the EVF, the IS on this lens is great, great built.
There is also a small flash, and the menu is amazing, real fast and comprehensive.

That's really helpful, thanks. I took the DSLR there on a few trips already and while it was manageable, I left thinking that the type of shooting I did while there could be done with a lot less gear.

Gear List

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Calgary, AB
Nov 22, 2013 12:14 |  #4

I took a big gamble too over the summer by selling all my Canon gears and grabbed a Fuji X-Pro1 to accompany my X100s during my trip to the Philippines
suffice to say, I was able to get all the shots that I wanted with a smaller and lighter camera system.
http://www.flickr.com ...o/sets/721576270214​60225/external link

one thing you need to know with the X series though is that to get the best details out of the pictures, you will need to either shoot JPEG or have Capture One.
Lightroom 5.x will work too (this is what I used) but Capture One will bring out the best details if you can afford it

earldieta.comexternal link - flickrexternal link - tumblrexternal link - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 22, 2013 12:36 |  #5

I was thinking about getting a mirrorless camera system too. I wanted something similar to my Olympus OM 2n. :) I gave up the idea because the body itself isn't cheaper than a 5d mark 1. Two, too many features I don't even bother to use (filters, video, articulated LC screen, and etc). Many reviews I read that the AF system isn't great for moving subjects. And I wanted to use my Olympus OM manual lenses on it. The om to fx adapter is huge. I think you are better off getting a 5d classic and a handful of Olympus OM lenses + the OM-EOS adapter. The size isn't big.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Nov 22, 2013 16:13 |  #6

I rented the XE1 and 18-55 2.8-4 for a weekend and came away disappointed with the camera body build quality. The Iens was well built and sharp (as all of the lenses are reported to be), the IQ out of the camera was really good and the higher ISO was impressive to say the least. It was just the build of the camera that soured me completely. It is very light, but it felt hollow and the on/off switch wasn't tight (rattled around). I didn't want to use it much because it wasn't a "joy to use". The AF was perfectly fine for me, and the XE2 is even faster. I plan on renting the XE2 with the 35 1.4 to check out the new camera (Steve Huff doesn't like the build quality of the XE1 either) but with the new face detection AF, faster AF, and other new updates, I remain interested in the Fuji line.

There is the Sony A7 line of course ;) First generation so it will have its growing pains, and Sony doesn't seem to understand fast lenses (*scratches head at 2.8 primes) but they aren't afraid to throw tech in a small body :)

Sega62 hit home: a conventional DSLR isn't all THAT heavy, especially a Rebel, but mirrorless really is more fun to pick up and carry around when vacationing. You don't want the camera and carrying it and lenses getting in the way of enjoying what you're seeing! :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 22, 2013 16:32 |  #7

BrickR wrote in post #16472719external link
I rented the XE1 and 18-55 2.8-4 for a weekend and came away disappointed with the camera body build quality. The Iens was well built and sharp (as all of the lenses are reported to be), the IQ out of the camera was really good and the higher ISO was impressive to say the least. It was just the build of the camera that soured me completely. It is very light, but it felt hollow and the on/off switch wasn't tight (rattled around). I didn't want to use it much because it wasn't a "joy to use". The AF was perfectly fine for me, and the XE2 is even faster. I plan on renting the XE2 with the 35 1.4 to check out the new camera (Steve Huff doesn't like the build quality of the XE1 either) but with the new face detection AF, faster AF, and other new updates, I remain interested in the Fuji line.

There is the Sony A7 line of course ;) First generation so it will have its growing pains, and Sony doesn't seem to understand fast lenses (*scratches head at 2.8 primes) but they aren't afraid to throw tech in a small body :)

Sega62 hit home: a conventional DSLR isn't all THAT heavy, especially a Rebel, but mirrorless really is more fun to pick up and carry around when vacationing. You don't want the camera and carrying it and lenses getting in the way of enjoying what you're seeing! :)

I got a 5dmkII, real heavy with a 24-105 lens, so a mirrorless is a lot more fun to carry around.
Better pics than the t3i, smaller,faster and classy.
The body is real light, but i don,t mind the way it is, i am not rough on my equipment, i respect it.
The are cover skin for protection, might want to go with that.

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 22, 2013 16:33 |  #8

taemo wrote in post #16472123external link
I took a big gamble too over the summer by selling all my Canon gears and grabbed a Fuji X-Pro1 to accompany my X100s during my trip to the Philippines
suffice to say, I was able to get all the shots that I wanted with a smaller and lighter camera system.
http://www.flickr.com ...o/sets/721576270214​60225/external link

one thing you need to know with the X series though is that to get the best details out of the pictures, you will need to either shoot JPEG or have Capture One.
Lightroom 5.x will work too (this is what I used) but Capture One will bring out the best details if you can afford it

I will try capture one, thanks for the tips

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,844 posts
Joined Jul 2007
NE Ohio
Nov 22, 2013 16:43 |  #9

Hmmm, Brick, why didn't I think of renting? Maybe that's what I'll do and see what I think of it before committing. Last two trips to Ethiopia, I took the 1D3 and a 24-105 and that was it. Its obviously not a ton of gear but I also can't stick it in a small bag either.

Gear List

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Nov 22, 2013 18:35 |  #10

I rent from Lensrentals quite a bit. The XE1, 6d, 30mm Art, EM5, SL1, etc etc. Spent the money for the HD membership for free shipping and that pays for itself in 3 rentals. It is the best way to "try before you buy" especially when you're talking about expensive items like photo gear can be!
Plus, it is a lot of fun playing with new gear for 3 or 4 days :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 23, 2013 04:13 |  #11

Here is a little more help

http://lighttraveler.c​o.uk/blog/2013/11/fuji​-xe2external link

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,844 posts
Joined Jul 2007
NE Ohio
Nov 23, 2013 07:56 |  #12

well, that wascertainly not an "on the fence" review but the images were impressive and the reviewer presumably has a very high standard and expectation of his gear. Thanks very much for the share, that really helps.

Gear List

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 23, 2013 10:03 |  #13

namasste wrote in post #16474016external link
well, that wascertainly not an "on the fence" review but the images were impressive and the reviewer presumably has a very high standard and expectation of his gear. Thanks very much for the share, that really helps.

I knew it would, and don't forget they are some adaptors for those Fuji X, and you could mound some impressive lens, Leica, Zeiss and more.
How about a Canon lens adaptor, that would be cool!

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,883 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Nov 23, 2013 19:24 |  #14

sega62 wrote in post #16472770external link
I will try capture one, thanks for the tips

If you have a Mac, then many people consider Aperture as the best raw editor for the X Trans. I'm very pleased with it and the X-E1. I also bought a Metabones Speedbooster for Canon FD. I had no idea those lenses were so good. They've mostly been collecting dust for the last 20 years. My 5Dii rarely gets used anymore. The Fuji has the same resolution but more than a stop more of dynamic range.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Nov 24, 2013 21:06 |  #15

I don't own 135L, but it is hard to imagine someone would sell it...

Get used Canon G series camera and flash you most likely already have... Will costs less, pictures will be the same.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

2,360 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of a Fuji X something or other...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.