Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 24 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 13:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 5D III vs. Nikon D800E Test

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Salisbury, UK.
Dec 02, 2013 10:08 |  #346

pwm2 wrote in post #16494959external link
I'm pretty sure they have done something long before now. But if we assume 3-4 years lead time from decision to financing, agreements, design, factory, trimming etc, then lots of people get the chance to complain that they aren't doing anything.

The problem here is that they can't inform the market until they have a product on the way to the stores, or the sales would tumble.

I hope you are right.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

sponsored links
sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Dec 02, 2013 10:09 |  #347

davidc502 wrote in post #16495049external link
I'm not a demanding shooter, but I do push the shadows. The question is how many push the shadows to the point where they see banding. My guess is not many. However, if one tends to under-expose or is in a situation where underexposing is a must, banding may be seen sooner, when pushing the shadows. Having said that, this problem may affect more than what I figure.

When I shoot dance competitions, it's a good idea to underexpose 1-2 stops or risk a lot of clipping/blown highlights. So far with my 5d2, in that situation, when I push the shadows, I've yet to see banding. Pulling out the shadows 2 stops is hardly pushing the envelope, but considering these photos are underexposed to begin with, I thought I might see some banding, but no.

I shoot dancers too, and so far yes i cant push too much, and i,m on iso 3200 , but thats the way it is, i still got those contracts.
Friends are more important than the camera DR ;)
And creativity

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,329 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Dec 02, 2013 10:37 |  #348

sega62 wrote in post #16495123external link
I shoot dancers too, and so far yes i cant push too much, and i,m on iso 3200 , but thats the way it is, i still got those contracts.
Friends are more important than the camera DR ;)
And creativity

What do friends and camera DR have in common. You lost me.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Dec 02, 2013 10:40 |  #349

davidc502 wrote in post #16495049external link
I'm not a demanding shooter, but I do push the shadows. The question is how many push the shadows to the point where they see banding. My guess is not many. However, if one tends to under-expose or is in a situation where underexposing is a must, banding may be seen sooner, when pushing the shadows. Having said that, this problem may affect more than what I figure.

When I shoot dance competitions, it's a good idea to underexpose 1-2 stops or risk a lot of clipping/blown highlights. So far with my 5d2, in that situation, when I push the shadows, I've yet to see banding. Pulling out the shadows 2 stops is hardly pushing the envelope, but considering these photos are underexposed to begin with, I thought I might see some banding, but no.

Banding does show up even with proper exposure. I've experienced this with the 5D 2 and 5D 3.

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Jersey Shore
Dec 02, 2013 10:44 |  #350

Hogloff wrote in post #16495201external link

Friends don't let friends buy Canon! :grin:

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,455 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Tennessee
Dec 02, 2013 10:54 |  #351

jdizzle wrote in post #16495210external link
Banding does show up even with proper exposure. I've experienced this with the 5D 2 and 5D 3.

You're absolutely correct, and I've been able to confirm this on the 5d2. I was just saying it may affect more people if they underexpose.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Dec 02, 2013 12:02 |  #352

Hogloff wrote in post #16495201external link

doesn't take much to lose you, :D
CONTACTS, tyat's what I meant, they don't go crazy for DR, its much more the creativity, which you can't buy!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,329 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Dec 02, 2013 12:12 |  #353

sega62 wrote in post #16495419external link
doesn't take much to lose you, :D
CONTACTS, tyat's what I meant, they don't go crazy for DR, its much more the creativity, which you can't buy!

Sorry, but you still lost me. Are you saying you can't be creative with a high DR camera? Or you can't be creative with a Nikon camera. Or your friends are snobs and only hang with people that shoot Canon? What is it?

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Jersey Shore
Dec 02, 2013 12:17 |  #354

davidc502 wrote in post #16495232external link
You're absolutely correct, and I've been able to confirm this on the 5d2. I was just saying it may affect more people if they underexpose.

I haven't seen banding at normal exposure readings with my 5D2 and 5D3, but I usually shoot manually and open up exposure by +3/4 or more from meter reading.

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Dec 02, 2013 12:18 |  #355

Hogloff wrote in post #16495448external link
Sorry, but you still lost me. Are you saying you can't be creative with a high DR camera? Or you can't be creative with a Nikon camera. Or your friends are snobs and only hang with people that shoot Canon? What is it?

What I meant is people who are into art, dancing, well they are more into creativity, meaning they will take your stuff, as long as they like it, it doesn't take anything real fancy with DR, more photoshop!

Basically art is what it is, you like it or not, its subjective!
Not like technique!
So in the end you can shoot Nikon, Fuji, olympus, as long as you are creative, that is what I was answering to the other shooter, who also shoots dancers....
in the dark!

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Dec 02, 2013 12:44 |  #356
banned

sega62 wrote in post #16495466external link
What I meant is people who are into art, dancing, well they are more into creativity, meaning they will take your stuff, as long as they like it, it doesn't take anything real fancy with DR, more photoshop!

Basically art is what it is, you like it or not, its subjective!
Not like technique!
So in the end you can shoot Nikon, Fuji, olympus, as long as you are creative, that is what I was answering to the other shooter, who also shoots dancers....
in the dark!

Still not sure how DR plays into this. So you can't be creative if you shoot a camera that has more DR.

Didn't know DR and being creative were mutually exclusive

jocau
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
Belgium
Dec 02, 2013 13:21 as a reply to CanonVsNikon's post |  #357

It's rather easy to understand though. Whether a picture is good or not, is determined by how creative the photographer is i.e. how creative/good he is with light. Dynamic Range is not the deciding factor. It's never a bad thing to have a sensor that can capture a broad Dynamic Range, but a good picture can be taken with any camera, even with those with vastly inferior sensors (e.g. smartphones).

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,329 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Dec 02, 2013 13:36 |  #358

jocau wrote in post #16495629external link
It's rather easy to understand though. Whether a picture is good or not, is determined by how creative the photographer is i.e. how creative/good he is with light. Dynamic Range is not the deciding factor. It's never a bad thing to have a sensor that can capture a broad Dynamic Range, but a good picture can be taken with any camera, even with those with vastly inferior sensors (e.g. smartphones).

Yes, but with all things being equal ( that includes the photographer ), the better the camera, the better the results. A photo with more dynamic range will always be at least as good as the same photo with less dynamic range, quite often the photo with more dynamic range will be better.

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Dec 02, 2013 13:59 |  #359

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16495527external link
Still not sure how DR plays into this. So you can't be creative if you shoot a camera that has more DR.

Didn't know DR and being creative were mutually exclusive

they can be, believe me, you don't NEED it, was like that before the Sony sensor, trust me!

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Dec 02, 2013 14:02 |  #360

jocau wrote in post #16495629external link

How come Jocau you get it, and some don't, I know english is not my primary language, nut still, with a little effort people usually catches on!

And yes, people were shooting before the Sony sensor!
Great pics, and will still do with the Digic 5 +

I rest my case!

sponsored links

42,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D III vs. Nikon D800E Test
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.