Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 30 May 2009 (Saturday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,612 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2013 08:58 |  #2851

Alex DiPietro wrote in post #16536634 (external link)
@DDK - It was my understanding that tilting changes the angle of the focus plane. I haven't really played around with the tilt much yet, but i figured it would be good, if say I were point the camera up at a building, to try and get the entire building from ground to the top in focus. I will have to try and adjust the tilt as well.

You're quite right Alex. Tilting tilts the focal plane - not what you want (typically) when doing architectural photography. There is indeed a limit to how much you can shift, and very high buildings shot from close distances may well exceed those limits. But, even if you have to do some perspective correction in post, the TS-E certainly should help minimize how much correction is needed.

Tilting can be fun, but I recommend staying away from it for architecture (unless you really really want/need the effect)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 35mm F1.4, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 18, 2013 09:17 |  #2852

This is true, and in the case of the image I posted the more I think about it, the more it seems the camera must have not been level with respect to the ground, which is why the top part of the building was OOF and the building was leaning back. The 1 degree of tilt I used on it corrected that perspective and also fixed the focus plane to match that of the building, making the whole building in focus.

So in my case it was poor setup to begin with.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 18, 2013 09:22 |  #2853

The classic examples of properly using tilt I've seen are with landscapes. I really want to attend some sort of workshop to work on and learn the proper use of tilt (not for miniature effect, but in situations where it will actually increase the focus plane).

I've got one shot of my motorcycle where I did that and felt it was used properly, the bike was at an angle to the camera, and I used tilt to get the full bike in sharp focus:
http://www.flickr.com …/davidkhaykin/9​228209816/ (external link)

Sorry for the derailment guys but this is an interesting topic to me. Apologies for the confusion caused by my initial reply re: tilt.

dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,612 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2013 13:01 |  #2854

ddk632 wrote in post #16536723 (external link)
The classic examples of properly using tilt I've seen are with landscapes. I really want to attend some sort of workshop to work on and learn the proper use of tilt (not for miniature effect, but in situations where it will actually increase the focus plane).

I've got one shot of my motorcycle where I did that and felt it was used properly, the bike was at an angle to the camera, and I used tilt to get the full bike in sharp focus:
http://www.flickr.com …/davidkhaykin/9​228209816/ (external link)

Sorry for the derailment guys but this is an interesting topic to me. Apologies for the confusion caused by my initial reply re: tilt.

Not at all...tilting is a great subject to discuss as well. :) Someone pointed out to me a few days back, that focus-peaking could be exploited to take all the guess work out of tilting. I hadn't even thought of that, but I'm looking forward to trying it. When shooting my TS-Es I often use a SmallHD field monitor, which has a whole host of focus peaking aids built-in, so that's what use. But, for people just using the camera's Live View screen it might be worth installing Magic Lantern to gain access to focus peaking.

The advantage with focus peaking is being able to accurately visualize where the plane of focus is.

Cool shot of the bike btw! :)

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 35mm F1.4, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 18, 2013 13:18 |  #2855

Thanks David -

I wonder if ML is available for my 6D yet, last time I checked I think it was nearing Alpha -- the focus peaking idea is very interesting indeed. I just use Live View x10 and scroll back and forth between a couple of chosen spots and confirm both areas are in focus before shooting.

Alex ­ DiPietro
82 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 18, 2013 14:14 as a reply to  @ ddk632's post |  #2856

I'm also using a 6d. Has anyone tried thethering to an iPad via Wifi? I haven't used the wifi as I find it a pain to connect to but in this instance it may be nice to have a larger screen....

A Canon Camera and Some Lenses
flickr (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 18, 2013 14:48 |  #2857

Alex DiPietro wrote in post #16537470 (external link)
I'm also using a 6d. Has anyone tried thethering to an iPad via Wifi? I haven't used the wifi as I find it a pain to connect to but in this instance it may be nice to have a larger screen....

Yes, check the 6D thread in the main camera forum as it's a better place for that discussion, or PM me. In a nutshell it's cool but the resolution sucks because the EOS remote app is for iPhone, not for native iPad. I use it in places where i put the camera real low and don't feel like lying on the ground :mrgreen:

http://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=125263​7&page=471

PGD
622 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 18, 2013 14:59 |  #2858

That is cool!

a.k.a Phil - Website (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Ruggo
106 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 18, 2013 16:15 |  #2859

Speaking of tilt.....
These couple are fairly uninteresting shots, but I was experimenting with the tilt to see how it would affect fairly 'busy' shots of a plain old bushtrack.
As many have said, the TS range of lenses are great on their own as a lens, but when you start experimenting, just wow.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3740/11441286226_f3d680d984_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/90620018@N02/1​1441286226  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/11441242404_6c58f6d352_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/90620018@N02/1​1441242404  (external link)

Alex ­ DiPietro
82 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 19, 2013 10:20 as a reply to  @ Ruggo's post |  #2860

Heres a couple from last night.

Shifted up to keep the railing in front of me out of frame and to capture the bridge. No Tilt.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Queensboro1 (external link) by ADiPNY1985 (external link), on Flickr

This one was shifted down. I didn't correct the verticals at all in post.. But they still look to be leaning to me. I had a hot shoe level, but it was cold and I suspect that my camera was not level.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

peace (external link) by ADiPNY1985 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,612 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 19, 2013 10:23 |  #2861

Alex DiPietro wrote in post #16539669 (external link)
Heres a couple from last night.

Shifted up to keep the railing in front of me out of frame and to capture the bridge. No Tilt.

This one was shifted down. I didn't correct the verticals at all in post.. But they still look to be leaning to me. I had a hot shoe level, but it was cold and I suspect that my camera was not level.

Does your camera have an electronic level (my 5D III does)? I use that all the time to level out my camera in all directions, then I shift to get perfect verticals. A bubble level on the hot shoe is good too, but I actually find the electronic levels most precise.

PGD
622 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 19, 2013 10:47 |  #2862

Unfortunately the 6D only has 1 level axis, so you still need the bubble :(

The 7D has an electronic level and like you I found that very handy.

a.k.a Phil - Website (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 19, 2013 11:32 |  #2863

Yeah the 5DIII has gyroscopic level, which is awesome for this lens. 6D is horizontal only.

Obviously the closer you are to the buildings, the more pronounced leaning effect even a small vertical offset of the camera will cause.

When the camera is perfect, the buildings won't be leaning. Unless of course it's desired, as in I_am_hydrogen's excellent example a few pages back.

Alex ­ DiPietro
82 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 23, 2013 17:49 as a reply to  @ ddk632's post |  #2864

Here's one just playing around in my apartment on a rainy night... I thought this was funny because of how many people seem to like making miniatures on tilt shifts... Well, I live in Manahttan and my tree is mini in real life, so I though this was a funny subject to mess around with the tilt on...

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2866/11522409375_d1f8341677_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …89990039@N08/11​522409375/  (external link)
ChristmasPanorama (external link) by ADiPNY1985 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2013 18:09 |  #2865

Here's a few serious uses of a TS-e 17L:
I've noticed that using the 5DIII's tilt meter, I can use it to get the lens centred and vertical and then dial in as much shift as the image needs...it takes out a lot of the perspective correction guess work.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/11375399396_60c8e7b269_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3764/11375453514_b5dc0fac74_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/11375490756_f79a5220be_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7389/11479208895_2ee6899437_o.jpg

Regards, Gareth Cooper
"If you’re happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then you’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

894,892 views & 560 likes for this thread
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.