Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does the EF600mm f/4L USM have a protective front filter?

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 17, 2013 12:10 |  #1

I'm talking about the original EF600mm, non-IS. I know the later ones definitely have a flat front element that protects the lens elements, but can't find the details on the original. The Canon Camera Museum doesn't say (and doesn't give a block diagram).

I'm considering one that has some marks on the front, but if it does indeed have a flat front element it might be relatively cheap to replace (if they are still available). Any help appreciated.

Mark.

sponsored links
lens ­ pirate
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 17, 2013 14:28 |  #2

Madweasel wrote in post #16534509 (external link)
I'm talking about the original EF600mm, non-IS. I know the later ones definitely have a flat front element that protects the lens elements, but can't find the details on the original. The Canon Camera Museum doesn't say (and doesn't give a block diagram).

I'm considering one that has some marks on the front, but if it does indeed have a flat front element it might be relatively cheap to replace (if they are still available). Any help appreciated.

It also might not even be useful to replace it. Chances are those marks have zero impact on image quality.

INSANE GEAR LIST
Sun flare.... the new selective color. JUST SAY NO

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,346 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 17, 2013 15:34 |  #3

ther parts catalog probably doesn't help much, but worth a look anyay:
http://www.micro-tools.net …20600%204.0%20L​%20USM.PDF (external link)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,285 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 17, 2013 15:47 |  #4

Use the damage to talk the price down even further then don;t worry about it unless it's really ghastly.
Likewise, if your serious about either the purchase or the repair, I'd get an actual price. You might find that the cost of replacement is too much,. this info again would be helpful in getting the lens and learning to live with the damage.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Madweasel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 17, 2013 17:28 |  #5

Thanks all for responses. joeseph, the parts catalogue, and especially the diagram it includes, does show a flat front piece, though I take the other points, that the marks are probably best used to possibly reduce the already reasonable price, and not really worry about their effect on image quality. I'll be looking at it in the flesh tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Mark.

Madweasel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 18, 2013 17:00 as a reply to  @ Madweasel's post |  #6

Well I went to see it and the marks were not nearly as bad as I'd feared, so no worries about the front element. There is a mark on one of the rear elements (but not the drop-in filter), so I did some tests outside the shop.

This was an extreme test for flare, with a very bright light source and dark background. I certainly don't see any cause for concern here, with only a tiny bit of flare visible towards the bottom centre.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i72.photobucket​.com …mall-3978_zps44317ad2.jpg (external link)

I took this one looking across the road at a display in a shop (so shooting through the other shop's window). This is handheld at 1/200 (no IS remember - I reckon the inertia of the lens holds it steady), using 5DII, so I could check the whole frame area.

http://i72.photobucket​.com …mall-3979_zpsa30ba1e2.jpg (external link)

And finally a shot looking down the street at a road sign, so focus should be good. This was at twilight, so 1/250 (handheld), f/4, ISO 12800, but the sharpness is very impressive, right out to the corner. I'm really happy, but it is mighty heavy!

http://i72.photobucket​.com …mall-3981_zps34ded6fb.jpg (external link)

Mark.

commonjunks
588 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 18, 2013 18:11 |  #7

No there is no front filter for 600mm.
My friends customize Tupperware cover to fit as protection when transporting around.

5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,242 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 18, 2013 19:11 |  #8

The 600mm non-IS and IS "Mark I" both have a "plain" front element.... some refer to it as a "replaceable plain element", much as they think of the UV filters they stick on their other lenses.

It's part #CN2-1211 in the non-IS version of the lens.

I've heard this described both ways... as a lower cost "protective" element... but also as an actual optical element that serves purposes other than just "protection". I tend to think the latter is true, that it's not really only a protective element.... After all, what would Canon's incentive be, to design a "lower cost" replaceable element? They don't worry about keeping repairs affordable on other items. Why would they worry about doing so for one of the most expensive lenses in their line-up? Not to mention, the latest and most expensive to date - the 600/4 Mark II - no longer has that "plain" element. It's been dropped from all the Mark II lenses, I think.

Anyway, if you can't find a replacement or if the cost of it is too steep and it's merely a protective element you might be able to just remove it and use the lens without it. I suspect that the image quality might be effected, though... i.e. that the "plain" element is more than just a protective piece of glass. I suppose it would be relatively easy to remove it and try it.... can always put it back if IQ drops off without it.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - EXPOSUREMANAGER (external link)

sponsored links

1,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does the EF600mm f/4L USM have a protective front filter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.