Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 15:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

So is the 1Dx worth getting with all the on going problems ?

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Dec 23, 2013 12:31 |  #76

jwcdds wrote in post #16548921external link
oil splatter are like dust on the sensor. it's only visible in photos when you stop down your aperture. it was kind of a tongue-in-cheek expression that I made with that response, but it's generally true.

Yup. It's easy to clean oil and dust.

sponsored links
N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
Dec 23, 2013 12:33 |  #77

Dude sounds like to me your are just kicking tires

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

CaPpedDoG
Joined Dec 2012
Victoria BC, Canada
Dec 23, 2013 15:02 |  #78

After 500 shots or so with my new 1DX I've already had to do a wet clean. Another 500 shots in and the sensor is becoming quite dirty again. It's frustrating but not a huge deal for me. However, more and more oil seems to be accumulating in the top right of the viewfinder. It came with one, then it had 2, and now today it has 3!

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
London
Dec 23, 2013 23:46 |  #79

CaPpedDoG wrote in post #16549510external link
After 500 shots or so with my new 1DX I've already had to do a wet clean. Another 500 shots in and the sensor is becoming quite dirty again. It's frustrating but not a huge deal for me. However, more and more oil seems to be accumulating in the top right of the viewfinder. It came with one, then it had 2, and now today it has 3!

Just ask them to replace it with a new one that works! Not a repair!
If we all did that Canon would very quickly start a proper QC regime, and do a major recall.
And within 12 months all the products would come out fully QC'd.

I am shell shocked how many people are willing to put up with substandard goods.

With a shutter life of 250,00 how many cleans are you prepared to do?..........

You have my sympathy - but get tough!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

CaPpedDoG
Joined Dec 2012
Victoria BC, Canada
Dec 24, 2013 00:30 |  #80

Submariner wrote in post #16550438external link
Just ask them to replace it with a new one that works! Not a repair!
If we all did that Canon would very quickly start a proper QC regime, and do a major recall.
And within 12 months all the products would come out fully QC'd.

I am shell shocked how many people are willing to put up with substandard goods.

With a shutter life of 250,00 how many cleans are you prepared to do?..........

You have my sympathy - but get tough!

Thanks man. I think I'm going to do that. I just hope Canon Canada will actually replace it though; I've read some negative things about them.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Dec 24, 2013 01:55 as a reply to CaPpedDoG's post |  #81

Other than the inevitable topic drift to car talk, this is one of the most valuable recent threads on this forum. After being started by someone who was convinced that a particular camera body was terminally flawed from what he "had heard," the essentially unanimous response was that there were no terminal flaws.

This thread clearly proves that people are more likely to believe the worst about equipment. It's the equivalent of desperately apocryphal rumors that are easily disproven by one stop at Snopes.com.

The thread also proves that there are two "in" factors that drive much of the traffic on this forum, "insecurity" and "inexperience." Fortunately, there are people on this forum who can overcome those factors.

Alan ­ B
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2004
UK
Dec 24, 2013 02:31 |  #82

DC Fan wrote in post #16550563external link
Other than the inevitable topic drift to car talk, this is one of the most valuable recent threads on this forum. After being started by someone who was convinced that a particular camera body was terminally flawed from what he "had heard," the essentially unanimous response was that there were no terminal flaws.

This thread clearly proves that people are more likely to believe the worst about equipment. It's the equivalent of desperately apocryphal rumors that are easily disproven by one stop at Snopes.com.

The thread also proves that there are two "in" factors that drive much of the traffic on this forum, "insecurity" and "inexperience." Fortunately, there are people on this forum who can overcome those factors.

Um, in my defence, I started this thread NOT by "hear say" or "rumors" but by FACT. You only have to type in google 1DX problems and there are many forums out there with USERS of the camera that have had problems with it!, even in this one, though you seem to ignore it!.

YES many 1DX owners are very pleased, which is great and that is what I like to hear :)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Irvine, CA
Dec 24, 2013 09:48 |  #83
banned

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16546313external link
So, Never had a 1D-X, but if I buy any product new I expect it to be 100% and Beta tested to death.. I lived in Germany for 22 years and this is the norm there, they don't settle for anything less.. God I miss those complaining Germans :-)

Sounds to me like you might want to get rid of your problem riddled 5D3 (light leakage, flash problems, buggy firmware updates, on and on) and buy a problem free 6D!

Dave

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Dec 24, 2013 12:20 |  #84

Bakewell wrote in post #16551095external link
Sounds to me like you might want to get rid of your problem riddled 5D3 (light leakage, flash problems, buggy firmware updates, on and on) and buy a problem free 6D!

Hell no! I'd rather have an oily 1D X!

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Dec 24, 2013 17:54 |  #85

I've had issues with VF debris and oil splatter with mine. The oil splatter seemed to get much worse after the service advisory work was carried out. There were two oil spots visible in normal use but stopping down (or using Nik's detail extractor) revealed hundreds of them. Frankly, I don't think it's good enough. I also have a 1D4 that's seen a lot of use. I've never had to clean the sensor and there isn't a single bit of crap in the viewfinder.

The 1DX is just back from Canon UK again but I don't think they've done anything other than clean it. On the plus side:
- the AF is incredible (but I prefer the spread of points on the 1D4)
- the high ISO is probably a whole stop better (in RAW) than the 1D4
- the twin joysticks, programmable buttons and custom settings improve usability over the 1D4

When I first got the 1DX, I thought I might eventually trade in the 1D4 for second 1DX to have two bodies the same, but I am so glad I didn't.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

11,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
So is the 1Dx worth getting with all the on going problems ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.