Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2014 (Monday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Open Cockpit Airplane Photo Tips Please

scott ­ rolf
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2014 11:32 |  #1

I will be going up in a 1931 WACO F-2 (beautifully restored) open cockpit aircraft and will be wearing goggles.

I will be using my 5D-C with a 35L lens. Since I won't be able to bring the viewfinder up to my eye because of the goggles what do you recommend I do to get the best results for fairly close range cockpit shots?
Multi-point AF and fire away?

Thanks,

sponsored links
davidc502
Goldmember
3,456 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 11:34 |  #2

No way of getting close range cockpit shots whilst on the runway or before you taxi?

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2014 11:51 |  #3

Tips? Hold on tight and make sure your seatbelt is latched! :D

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to have fun and get some good shots. You'll probably be subject to a lot of vibration so use fast shutter speeds. On the 5Dc - which I have - in AF mode, center point, just make sure that you use that to lock on one of the gauges and you'll get the cockpit just fine.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,672 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 06, 2014 11:55 |  #4

scott rolf wrote in post #16582342 (external link)
I will be going up in a 1931 WACO F-2 (beautifully restored) open cockpit aircraft and will be wearing goggles.

I will be using my 5D-C with a 35L lens. Since I won't be able to bring the viewfinder up to my eye because of the goggles what do you recommend I do to get the best results for fairly close range cockpit shots?
Multi-point AF and fire away?

Thanks,

Heya,

Yea, probably just multi-point AF and do continuous shooting. Hope for some keepers. Maybe just consider the minimum focus distance. Not sure how close things will be in that cockpit. It could really throw things off. I imagine you want a clear view of everything, so shooting wide open and all that might have serious impact and you may want to stop down that aperture a lot.

Do you have wider glass? I keep thinking an ultrawide would be my choice here, stopped down.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

scott ­ rolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2014 12:52 |  #5

davidc502 wrote in post #16582350 (external link)
No way of getting close range cockpit shots whilst on the runway or before you taxi?

sure and I plan to. But dynamic up-in-the-air shots add a lot more in terms of action and excitment.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,672 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 06, 2014 12:55 |  #6

Heya,

Have you considered just rolling video?

I suppose a protective filter is a good idea, if you're exposing your glass to high velocity movement.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

scott ­ rolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2014 12:58 as a reply to  @ scott rolf's post |  #7

Quick background on this particualr aircraft;
My father (who is now 91) learned to fly at the age of 16 in a WACO F-2.
Long story short and LOTS of research, I found this exact plane and it's still flying!
He logged in the tail numbers of all the aricraft he flew and still has his log book from 1939. It wasn't long before I was able to find the numer on the FAA site. I contacted the owner and he would love to reunit my dad and his beloved WACO for a flight. We have been invited to do so in June. I can't think of a better father and son moment for us.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 06, 2014 13:13 |  #8

You can still use the view finder with goggles on, you just need to either move you head side to side if you need to see the both edges of the frame or use a view finder magnifier.

Open cockpit don't normally have much room for moving around I'm sure you can do just fine using center point and just estimating framing off what you can see around the AF with goggles on.

I have to deal with the same thing for underwater photography, except if I want to get a view finder magnifier my housing it cost over $1,000.

gfspencer
179 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 06, 2014 17:31 |  #9

scott rolf wrote in post #16582540 (external link)
Quick background on this particualr aircraft;
My father (who is now 91) learned to fly at the age of 16 in a WACO F-2.
Long story short and LOTS of research, I found this exact plane and it's still flying!
He logged in the tail numbers of all the aricraft he flew and still has his log book from 1939. It wasn't long before I was able to find the numer on the FAA site. I contacted the owner and he would love to reunit my dad and his beloved WACO for a flight. We have been invited to do so in June. I can't think of a better father and son moment for us.

What a great story!

I have shot out of an open door on plenty of helicopters but I've never tried open cockpit shots in an airplane. Could you use live view? I think I would use a zoom like a 24-105 instead of a 35 but that's just me. I hope you get some great shots.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 18:13 |  #10

AWESOME story. You will definitly get some great pics!

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

quindecima
141 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 06, 2014 22:11 as a reply to  @ Nick3434's post |  #11

Take the goggles off. The wind will not bother you when the camera is up to your face and probably not that much when its not.

Gear 50D, 100mm macro 2.8 L, 24-105mm 4.0 L, 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L, 17-35mm 2.8 L

scott ­ rolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 07, 2014 08:59 as a reply to  @ quindecima's post |  #12

Thank you for all of the input.
This all transpired this past week and my dad is so excited and it's all he talks about.
Another little tid-bit about this story is that the owner emailed me a photo of it landing at the same airport and same time period (1939) when my dad flew it. In fact, we all have come to the conclusion that it may very well be him in the cockpit. I cleaned up the photo the best I could in PS and framed it for my dad.
This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime moment. AND I get to share in this moment with him.
That's what makes it truly special for me.
I'll be sure to do some posting of the photos after our adventure concludes.

butcherman
894 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 07, 2014 09:09 |  #13

Awesome story!! Really looking forward to the pics,

MikeBurtonPhillipson
254 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 07, 2014 10:43 |  #14

Agree with Quind.... I used to fly open-cockpit (Tiger Moth, Stampe and others), i'd often put my goggles up to shoot.. bit breezy but totally doable.. the tricky bit was clamping the stick between my knees and keeping it straight and level (or in a shallow turn) whilst shooting..

Oh and get a wrist strap for your camera and TIE it to yourself (just in case)

Look forward to seeing the pics :)

Mike

5DmkIII | 7D | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 15-85 IS | 400D | Tokina 10-17 fisheye | 400D Ikelite Underwater housing |
http://www.mikeburtonp​hillipson.co.uk (external link)

scott ­ rolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 07, 2014 11:03 |  #15

MikeBurtonPhillipson wrote in post #16585326 (external link)
Agree with Quind.... I used to fly open-cockpit (Tiger Moth, Stampe and others), i'd often put my goggles up to shoot.. bit breezy but totally doable.. the tricky bit was clamping the stick between my knees and keeping it straight and level (or in a shallow turn) whilst shooting..

Oh and get a wrist strap for your camera and TIE it to yourself (just in case)

Look forward to seeing the pics :)

Mike

Thank you.

sponsored links

2,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
Open Cockpit Airplane Photo Tips Please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.