Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 25 Nov 2013 (Monday) 18:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

27" iMac configuration and Lightroom help

SarahJD
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Somewhere in the middle of America...
Dec 25, 2013 15:38 as a reply to post 16519117 |  #31

I'm trying to wait for a Mac mini update before deciding. My current one is 5 years old though so I'm approaching dire straights...

Sarah

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jan 06, 2014 17:12 |  #32

I ordered the 27" iMac mid November, loaded with the i7, 16GB Ram, 3TB Fusion, 780m 4GB Video, Applecare, basically the most expensive Apple product (other than the non-existent Mac Pros then) other than the ram (will add another 16GB later). It took 2 weeks to deliver, developed 3 dead pixels over the 1 week I had it, a lot of phone calls to Apple, replacement never sent, finally about mid December I returned it and Apple messed up my refund (short changed me but will fix after more phone calls).

The iMac was very nice, simple, wireless, the support was friendly, but mostly clueless (couldnt figure out why there was no restore partition which is common on the new iMacs with 3TB Fusion drives according to Google). Now I'm at a loss. To me OS X felt crippled compared to Windows (I use 7, don't really like the look of 8). No thumb previews for most common video types (avi, wmv, mkv), booted fast with the Fusion, but no faster than my gf's basic Dell Windows 8 machine with a 5400rpm hdd (W8 boots FAST). I want to like it but now am unsure what to do.

If I build a PC, there is the issue with cords, and a big tower again. I can get the Dell 27" monitors that are the same as the iMac's, but apparently have a green tint issue (maybe) but much better support (0 defective pixel policy over 3 years and they will cross ship a new one immediately, already had an ultrasharp and can't say enough about Dell's support), Apple won't say excactly , but even with Applecare they won't replace it for a few dead pixels, most reports are 7, which is really absurd for a $3000 computer/monitor that is their top tier product (now again, I guess it's the Mac Pro).

Not here to poo poo, this is my experience and because of so many delays with Apple (wouldn't get a replacement now until mid-lat January) I have to look at all options. Been using my home built, 6 yo PC (used to build all the time) and no glitches, BSODS or anything for 10 years. It's actually faster with video processing than my iMac was for non Apple files, but must replace now. People laugh at me when I tell them how much I paid for the iMac, but to build my own PC with a nice monitor would be about the same.

Oh the joys of spending money eh?

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Jan 06, 2014 17:23 |  #33

Go simple. Get an i7 Mini and a beautiful monitor. Make the Fusion drive yourself (it's easy), upgrade the ram and get a few thunderbolt external drives and you're in business.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

4,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
27" iMac configuration and Lightroom help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.