Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 03:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend a camera for this price?

Lady ­ Tori
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 19, 2014 12:12 as a reply to  @ post 16618263 |  #16

Thanks everyone! I've passed along a few of your suggestions :)

sponsored links
Fuce
257 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 20, 2014 10:31 |  #17

Tell her to check out the Sony a58. More bang for the buck than the comparable canon rebel cameras.

“with the breakdown of the medieval system, the gods of chaos, lunacy, and bad taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius J. Reilly

vengence
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 11:05 |  #18

70D w/ 18-135 STM kit for that budget, stills, video, very well rounded package. She could probably produce better pictures with a t3i and a 50 f/1.8 and a flash, I'm guessing she's not going to spend the time to learn it all and will live in green box mode. For that, the 70D's live view's AF will be very handy for shooting video and stills.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,456 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 20, 2014 11:48 |  #19

Lady Tori wrote in post #16618537 (external link)
Thanks everyone! I've passed along a few of your suggestions :)

Thanks for being honest :lol:

Those that have been around a while know who the gear heads are, so I can guess the ones you didn't pass along... lol

It's all good.

Cheers!

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,886 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 20, 2014 16:16 |  #20

Lady Tori wrote in post #16617583 (external link)
I would love some suggestions. Thanks!

Fuji X-E2.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2014 19:35 |  #21

Any Rebel with the 18MP sensor and up like others have recommended....

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

adza77
640 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2014 22:14 |  #22

I had a friend go through a very similar decision making process only a few weeks ago. Same reasons and all...

In the end, they went with the Olympus OM-D EM-1. Canon 700D / 60D was a close second, but the smaller camera size in this instance was considerably preferable. There was more chance that they'd carry that around than a full size DSLR to more places, and thus more opportunity for shots.

It gives more than a P&S, but is also more expensive than a 700D kit as well. Personally I'd stick with a Canon DSLR - but different people have different priorities.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,119 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 21, 2014 00:15 |  #23

Olympus OM-D EM-5 (or 10 when it comes out in a couple months) or one of their PEN cameras... or really any micro-four-thirds camera.

You get good low-light ability with greater depth of field and fast AF along with a very easy to use camera. Seems ideal for the situation you described. A Canon G1X would also be a great choice.

If they have more interest in photography, then I'd look into larger sensor camera systems and DSLR's.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sevn
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 23, 2014 20:10 as a reply to  @ post 16618263 |  #24

What brand your friend want?

sevn
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 23, 2014 20:14 |  #25

melcat wrote in post #16617601 (external link)
Sony RX10 - Also very good at video due to no line-skipping/aliasing. (I don't own one and haven't shot with one.)

Vote for this one, and here (external link) is a review for it, check out for your friend

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,371 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2014 20:26 |  #26

I would go with a sony nex 6 with a 16 to 50. Go light all the time and you will carry the camera more.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sevn
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 24, 2014 07:47 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #27

Nikon, Canon , Pentax and Sony all make fine cameras. The best thing you can do is go to a store and pick one in your price range.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,679 posts
Gallery: 1082 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 24, 2014 08:00 |  #28

Heya,

That's a big price range for just doing baby & kid photos. I imagine this person is not a photographer, and will basically just use it like a point & shoot. Nothing wrong with that. But that said, you can easily over-spend on cameras & lenses. Having kids, you quickly find out, you need something portable, quick, and simple for keeping up with them unless you have someone posing them and basically super well behaved and cooperative personalities. Rarely does this happen. I know some people buy expensive camera gear expecting to do studio-like shoots. They just don't realize it's not the camera and lens, it's the photographer, making those images like that. So unless your fiend(s) is willing to learn photography, I wouldn't bother with a dSLR. It's just going to consume their money and be cumbersome to use. If they want to start small (P&S level) and work towards serious photography (dSLR) then by all means, get a dSLR as that will grow with their skill/learning over time much more so than a P&S ever will. But if they just want to "take pictures" then I would get a nice waterproof/shockproof P&S and call it a day.

If your fiend has no interest in learning serious photography and just wants to "take pictures" then I would suggest:

Any good P&S
Waterproof P&S
Look for one with WiFi maybe

If your fiend has an interest in photography beyond simply "taking pictures" and is willing to put in the time to learn it as a skill and an art form, and wants to create studio-like or just very creative images worth printing, then some suggestions:

Canon SL1/T4i/T5i + 18-135mm + EF 40mm F2.8 + Canon EF-S 10-22mm

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,886 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 24, 2014 08:07 |  #29

MalVeauX wrote in post #16632382 (external link)
But if they just want to "take pictures" then I would get a nice waterproof/shockproof P&S and call it a day.

I guess you don't have any young children. ;) Here's what she/he will be shooting: kids playing (fast focus), kids at school plays or concerts (telephoto zoom, high ISO). Most P&S will not do the job.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,231 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 24, 2014 08:13 |  #30

MalVeauX wrote in post #16632382 (external link)
Heya,

That's a big price range for just doing baby & kid photos. I imagine this person is not a photographer, and will basically just use it like a point & shoot. Nothing wrong with that. But that said, you can easily over-spend on cameras & lenses. Having kids, you quickly find out, you need something portable, quick, and simple for keeping up with them unless you have someone posing them and basically super well behaved and cooperative personalities. Rarely does this happen.

<snip>

If they want to start small (P&S level) and work towards serious photography (dSLR) then by all means, get a dSLR as that will grow with their skill/learning over time much more so than a P&S ever will. But if they just want to "take pictures" then I would get a nice waterproof/shockproof P&S and call it a day.

If your fiend has no interest in learning serious photography and just wants to "take pictures" then I would suggest:

Any good P&S
Waterproof P&S
Look for one with WiFi maybe

You have this backward. If you have kids that pose, a P&S will work. If your kids move around, a DSLR will work. This is why the Rebel line is so successful.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

4,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend a camera for this price?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.