Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 24, 2014 22:01 |  #3676

silvrbullet wrote in post #16634167external link
That's really disappointing. The cl-tx is hot shoe only, and I want my ettl fill on the hot shoe.

Use an x-sync hotshoe with PC cable connected to the PC port on you camera. Not a big deal.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 24, 2014 22:07 |  #3677

tetrode wrote in post #16634328external link
Channels or groups, Brandon? The transmitters and receivers can each be set to one of 16 channels. The transmitter can only talk to receivers that are on its currently set channel (of course). Ergo, all transmitters and receivers in your lighting setup should be set to the same channel.

Once the channel has been selected and set, each receiver can then be assigned to 1 of 16 available groups. The power control on the transmitter will only alter the power level on those flash units assigned to the group that the dial on the transmitter has been set to.

So, we're all on the same channel and let's say two CL-360s are in group 2, and one CL-180 is assigned to group 3. When the dial on the transmitter is set to "2", the two CL-360s will respond to power level adjustments while the CL-180 will not. When the dial on the transmitter is moved to position "3", the CL-180 will respond to power level adjustments while the two CL-360s will not.

The triggering signal applies to all groups so, in our example, the two CL-360s and the one CL-180 will all fire.

If you really did mean "channels", then no, the transmitter will not trigger receivers set to a channel other than the one the transmitter is currently on. Of course, with 16 groups available, I can't imagine you would ever be in a situation in which you would need to do this.

To extend what Dave is describing; The channel dip switches are to permit more than one photographer using these lights to work in the same environment, each with their own lighting scheme. The groups are for each photographer to control their lighting scheme.

So, each photographer can have up to 16 groups, each with as many lighting units as they desire. And each environment can have up to 16 photographers, each with their own lights.

I think the only other company with that much flexibility for segregating lighting is Paul C Buff with the Einsteins.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

vergammelt
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Tennessee
Jan 24, 2014 22:08 |  #3678

tetrode wrote in post #16614624 (external link)
You could also order a 16-hole speed ring that has an integral mounting platform:

http://www.ebay.com ...ain_0&hash=item2ecd​499bdf (external link)

Mounting a CL-360:

QUOTED IMAGE

The 16-hole ring is nice because it handles squares, rectangles, strips, and octas as well as 16-sided softboxes.

I ordered this one to mount on my Phottix Varos II.
I like the strong connection, but what I didn't see was, that the speedring has the holes slightly slanted forward, instead of straight like my original speedring (top).
This reduces the tension of the rods, causing the sag in the material...

What now :o ?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nismode
Goldmember
1,622 posts
Joined Apr 2010
NYC
Jan 25, 2014 10:08 as a reply to vergammelt's post |  #3679

tetrode wrote in post #16634328external link
Channels or groups, Brandon? The transmitters and receivers can each be set to one of 16 channels. The transmitter can only talk to receivers that are on its currently set channel (of course). Ergo, all transmitters and receivers in your lighting setup should be set to the same channel.

Once the channel has been selected and set, each receiver can then be assigned to 1 of 16 available groups. The power control on the transmitter will only alter the power level on those flash units assigned to the group that the dial on the transmitter has been set to.

So, we're all on the same channel and let's say two CL-360s are in group 2, and one CL-180 is assigned to group 3. When the dial on the transmitter is set to "2", the two CL-360s will respond to power level adjustments while the CL-180 will not. When the dial on the transmitter is moved to position "3", the CL-180 will respond to power level adjustments while the two CL-360s will not.

The triggering signal applies to all groups so, in our example, the two CL-360s and the one CL-180 will all fire.

If you really did mean "channels", then no, the transmitter will not trigger receivers set to a channel other than the one the transmitter is currently on. Of course, with 16 groups available, I can't imagine you would ever be in a situation in which you would need to do this.

Yea, I got channels and groups mixed up. So it's groups that I meant.

dmward wrote in post #16634658external link
To extend what Dave is describing; The channel dip switches are to permit more than one photographer using these lights to work in the same environment, each with their own lighting scheme. The groups are for each photographer to control their lighting scheme.

So, each photographer can have up to 16 groups, each with as many lighting units as they desire. And each environment can have up to 16 photographers, each with their own lights.

I think the only other company with that much flexibility for segregating lighting is Paul C Buff with the Einsteins.

So the transmitter can individually control power based on groups (selectable by the rotating dial) to any lights set to the same channel (selectable by dipswitches much like other RF triggers). Triggering the transmitter will fire ALL lights on groups 0-9, A-F. Is there a way to segregate the light groups? As in, if I don't want some groups to fire, or would I have to set the power level of those groups to 0 (is that possible)?

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
6D|80D|EOS M5|Mavic Pro
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)|Rokinon 50 f/1.2 (EF-M)
Σ18-35 f/1.8 Art|17-40 f/4L|50 f/1.8 STM|Σ85|100L
Godox AD-600|Godox AD-200|V860 II (x2)|TT350c
Everything's for sale for the right price ;)

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jan 25, 2014 11:17 |  #3680

You can turn any of the flashes off to not fire from the trigger on the camera.

I AM SHOM

Nismode
Goldmember
1,622 posts
Joined Apr 2010
NYC
Jan 25, 2014 12:44 |  #3681

abbadon31 wrote in post #16635764external link
You can turn any of the flashes off to not fire from the trigger on the camera.

But can you turn them off and on remotely?

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
6D|80D|EOS M5|Mavic Pro
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)|Rokinon 50 f/1.2 (EF-M)
Σ18-35 f/1.8 Art|17-40 f/4L|50 f/1.8 STM|Σ85|100L
Godox AD-600|Godox AD-200|V860 II (x2)|TT350c
Everything's for sale for the right price ;)

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jan 25, 2014 13:51 |  #3682

Nismode wrote in post #16635946external link
But can you turn them off and on remotely?

You can turn off any of them from the remote trigger
Now when I say turn them off, i mean they will not fire. The Screen on the flash will say off, but they are still powered up and be turned back on to a power setting. It does not power down the flash/ shut it off

I AM SHOM

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Jan 25, 2014 15:36 |  #3683

eventsof1768 wrote in post #16629091 (external link)
Here are some photos from a recent family shot. I used the AD360 as a fill light. I prob didnt need it for these types of photos but im still learning

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ronaldtan/12100​085583/] (external link)
onwhite photography (external link) by ronnietan15 www.onwhitephotography​.net (external link), on Flickr

Very nice pictures and warm colours.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

BigIronCruiser
Joined Mar 2013
South Carolina
Jan 27, 2014 20:50 |  #3684

abbadon31 wrote in post #16636093external link
You can turn off any of them from the remote trigger
Now when I say turn them off, i mean they will not fire. The Screen on the flash will say off, but they are still powered up and be turned back on to a power setting. It does not power down the flash/ shut it off

Other than setting the power to 0, I don't see any way of disabling a CL-xxx from the remote trigger. Can you explain?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 27, 2014 21:59 |  #3685

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #16642730external link
Other than setting the power to 0, I don't see any way of disabling a CL-xxx from the remote trigger. Can you explain?

That's how its done.
Reduce the power for the gourd to OF. It quits firing.
The light is still "on" so it can sense and respond to power change commands from the CL-Tx. That's the point after all, remote power control, including turning it off.

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jan 27, 2014 22:19 |  #3686

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #16642730 (external link)

one click passed 1/128 turns off the flash using the trigger. It says OF on the 360 and it says OF on the trigger. OF=OFF

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3750/12183236985_5d87c6d5d0_o.jpg

I can set each flash unit to 0-9 or a-f. Say I have one unit on 1 another unit on 2 and another unit on D. When the trigger is set to all the units will fire. If I turn the trigger dial to 2 I can turn down the flash till it say "OF" and turn the dial back to . They will all fire except for 2 since it was turned off from the trigger. If i want to turn it back on, I turn the trigger dial back to 2 and turn up the power and it will be on again. Setting the trigger dial back to and it will file all 3 again. I can turn on and off any one of the units from the trigger by turn the dial of that units setting and turning down the unit till it says "OF".

Really can't explain any simpler then that.

I AM SHOM

BcuzofHisLuv
90 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Sunny SOCAL
Jan 27, 2014 22:45 |  #3687

abbadon31 wrote in post #16642972 (external link)
one click passed 1/128 turns off the flash using the trigger. It says OF on the 360 and it says OF on the trigger. OF=OFF

QUOTED IMAGE

I can set each flash unit to 0-9 or a-f. Say I have one unit on 1 another unit on 2 and another unit on D. When the trigger is set to all the units will fire. If I turn the trigger dial to 2 I can turn down the flash till it say "OF" and turn the dial back to . They will all fire except for 2 since it was turned off from the trigger. If i want to turn it back on, I turn the trigger dial back to 2 and turn up the power and it will be on again. Setting the trigger dial back to and it will file all 3 again. I can turn on and off any one of the units from the trigger by turn the dial of that units setting and turning down the unit till it says "OF".
Really can't explain any simpler then that.

Hey Scott,

Would you mind measuring your 360 from the top of the reflector to the bottom of the hot shoe for me?

Thanks!

Just my camera and I :cool:

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jan 27, 2014 22:54 |  #3688

BcuzofHisLuv wrote in post #16643019external link
Hey Scott,

Would you mind measuring your 360 from the top of the reflector to the bottom of the hot shoe for me?

Thanks!

It is 10 7/8 in or 27.6225 cm with light stand base attached. It should be about 11 inch or 27.94 centimeters with the hot shoe mounted foot.

I AM SHOM

BcuzofHisLuv
90 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Sunny SOCAL
Jan 27, 2014 23:08 |  #3689

abbadon31 wrote in post #16643031external link
It is 10 7/8 in or 27.6225 cm with light stand base attached. It should be about 11 inch or 27.94 centimeters with the hot shoe mounted foot.

Thank you! It works out perfect for what I'm planning on doing after B&H refunds my $ to purchase 2 360's.

Just my camera and I :cool:

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jan 27, 2014 23:08 |  #3690

Here is a size sample of unit and heads side by side.
Godox Xenergizer 600w Head
Elinchrom Ranger RX Quadra S Head
Witstro Ad-360

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/12184059183_ce87587c5a_b.jpg

I AM SHOM

sponsored links

1,120,468 views & 261 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.