Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 28 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 19:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Statue I saw in a Portland, OR hospital last week

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 28, 2014 19:19 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/12121498615_f942f25c68_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...57545987@N06/121214​98615/] (external link)
ohsustatueb&w (external link) by rick reno (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
Mark_Mason
593 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Hillsboro, Oregon
Jan 28, 2014 23:14 |  #2

Very cool!

Canon Stuff

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Jan 29, 2014 03:39 |  #3

Rick,

You were able to convey the peace she exudes very well. Hospitals need as much of that as they can get.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

mark48
905 posts
Joined Jun 2011
South Central Kentucky
Jan 30, 2014 11:09 |  #4

What a nice, peaceful image you captured. I like it.

smeghead62
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Jan 31, 2014 20:50 |  #5

Beautifully done, Rick! Just the right amount of "glow".

Doug
6D, more glass than sense

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Feb 04, 2014 16:37 |  #6

Well done.

Did you have to climb to get this angle?

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Inse
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Southeast BC
Feb 04, 2014 22:27 as a reply to AZGeorge's post |  #7

I agree with all the previous comments for sure, but my first thoughts took me to the start sequence from the last series of "American Horror Story, Asylum" where a statue, very similar to this one, smiles.

RAY
So far, this is the oldest I've ever been :cool:
http://inse-photography.smugmug.co​m/external link

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 06, 2014 11:29 |  #8

AZGeorge wrote in post #16663682external link
Well done.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. No, I had to bend down, she was on display in a hall, I noticed her when I was waiting for the elevator and snapped off a couple of shots - first one the wb set up for outdoors do I flushed it.
Was visiting my daughter, she has a risky pregnancy with twins going on and they moved her from Salem to Portland.

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 06, 2014 11:37 |  #9

AZGeorge wrote in post #16663682external link
Well done.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. No, I had to bend down, she was on display in a hall, I noticed her when I was waiting for the elevator and snapped off a couple of shots - first one the wb set up for outdoors do I flushed it.
Was visiting my daughter, she has a risky pregnancy with twins going on and they moved her from Salem to Portland.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 06, 2014 12:58 |  #10

Rick,

I hope everything goes well for your daughter and her twins. How many more months before they are born?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 06, 2014 19:56 |  #11

Thanks Kim. Hopefully this will be over in 3 weeks or less.

jon_wiz
34 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Conway, AR
Feb 07, 2014 10:27 |  #12

Man, the lighting is perfect.

jasio
727 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Feb 07, 2014 11:55 |  #13

Beautifull photo with fantastic lights. May her tranquility alleviate your worries about your daughter, Rick.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Feb 10, 2014 02:06 |  #14

I've always felt a little bit funny about photographing statues. It's just kind of like, I see an awesome statue and then photograph it, I'm sort of feeding on the work of the artist who made the statue. If I'm gonna appropriate someone else's work, then at the very least I'd better add to it somehow and not ONLY feed off of their work.

And I think you've accomplished that here. This is deliberately framed, emphasis was placed on certain parts and other parts were eliminated entirely. The lighting is wonderful and contributes to the subject matter, as does the softness of the image. I'm not familiar with this particular statue. Based on what I can see it sort of makes me think of the Virgin Mary, and that underlighting makes me think that she's holding baby Jesus in her arms? Am I anywhere close here? Even if I'm way off, that's the tone that I'm getting from this image, and evertthing contributes to that beautifully. If you're gonna appropriate other artists' work, then I say go balls out and really make it your own. And I think you've accomplished that. This is a lovely freaking image, and it shows a unique personal vision. Nicely done.

One more thing...in my opinion, most of the best statue photographs I've seen were ones that treated the statue as a person rather than a statue. Statues are cold, dead, and inanimate, while people are full of life. This was shot as if you were photographing a person, as in you injected life and drama into something that is cold and lifeless. And that is really cool. And on a conceptual level, I sort of freaking LOVE seeing people do that to good effect because it's sort of a reverse portraiture. Most portraiture involves taking something animate and full of life, and then freezing it into a statue-esque entity, while you've taken something statue-esque and then personally injected drama and life that could not literally have been present (seeing as how statues are typically just stone or metal).

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 13, 2014 22:05 |  #15

Thanks for all the kind comments. My daughter was moved from Salem to OHSU tonight, so its likely I'll get to see this statue again.

sponsored links

2,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
Statue I saw in a Portland, OR hospital last week
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.