Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 03 Feb 2014 (Monday) 23:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mac Pro (5,1) SSD Advice

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Feb 03, 2014 23:00 |  #1

Just got a new mac pro (5,1). Upped the ram to 32gb and now am looking to add a SSD drive to run programs/os off of.

The two i am floating around are:

Samsung Evo 500GB. It says it can transfer data at 500 mbs. I am not sure it will actually hit this fast.

http://www.newegg.com ...aspx?Item=N82E16820​147249external link

The other option is this from OWC, it's their 480GB Mercury Accelsior_E2. Their info says it will transfer 688 mbs.

http://eshop.macsales.​com/item/OWC/SSDPHWE2R​480/external link

What would you do? any other options? I just want fast and reliable.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 04, 2014 02:30 |  #2

Suggest Samsung 840 pro (external link) - more reliable than the EVO. OWC do good drives, I have two of their older models, if I was buying now I'd get another Samsung.

840 pro 120GB benchmark attached. i7 2700K, 16GB RAM. Larger SSDs go a bit faster due to parallel writes across flash chips.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Feb 04, 2014 07:31 |  #3

Tim, what would I need to mount that in my Mac Pro?

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Aptos, CA, USA
Feb 04, 2014 08:43 |  #4

bigcountry wrote in post #16661884external link
Just got a new mac pro (5,1). Upped the ram to 32gb and now am looking to add a SSD drive to run programs/os off of.

The two i am floating around are:

Samsung Evo 500GB. It says it can transfer data at 500 mbs. I am not sure it will actually hit this fast.

http://www.newegg.com ...aspx?Item=N82E16820​147249external link

The other option is this from OWC, it's their 480GB Mercury Accelsior_E2. Their info says it will transfer 688 mbs.

http://eshop.macsales.​com/item/OWC/SSDPHWE2R​480/external link

What would you do? any other options? I just want fast and reliable.

Here's another option.external link It's also from OWC. I have one of these installed in my Mac Pro 5,1 with two 120 GB OWC 6 GB/sec SSDs. I also use a 120GB SSD for my Home folder, which is where all your personal data is stored (My Pictures, etc). I essentially use this SSD as the single location I work images from. (there are no Movies or Music on this Mac), but its primary use is as a digital audio WS. For data storage , I use an external device - it's an Intel 2500K with 16GB and five 2 TB Hitachi Ultrastars using RAID-Z in a mirrored striped configuration.

Bear in mind that when you are using SSDs instead of rotating disk for storage, the transfer protocol speed (SATA II vs SATA III, USB 2.0 v 3.0, etc) becomes much more significant. Using rotating drives, the actual transfer of data is about 15% of the overall transfer time, but with SSDs, it becomes a much larger percent, approaching 50% (depends on the speed of the flash memory in the drive now). Cutting 15% in half (by doubling transfer speed) gains ~7.5%, whereas cutting 40% (or greater) in half can speeds data service considerably more.

Another thing I did to improve performance on my Mac Pro was to upgrade the CPUs from 2.26 to 3.3 GHz (which is a lot easier than you may think), and install a striped RAID in the drive bays, consisting of four 300 GB WD Velociraptors.

While booting is not a benchmark, it does imply the speed of the the machine - mine boots in 18 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,881 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Feb 04, 2014 12:54 |  #5

bigcountry wrote in post #16662342external link

You need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. The adapter then mounts to the Mac Pro's sled to slide into place. Also keep in mind the 5,1 only has a 3 GB/s SATA bus.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Feb 04, 2014 13:32 |  #6

ok, here is my thinking.

the sonnet tempo pciE card + samsung evo 750gb or samsung pro 512...

thoughts?

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Feb 04, 2014 13:42 |  #7

changed my mind i think....

Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 + crucial m500 960gb.

sunny_j
381 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia
Feb 04, 2014 15:05 |  #8

bigcountry wrote in post #16663208external link
changed my mind i think....

Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 + crucial m500 960gb.

i would get the 1TB samsung evo, it's the best bang for you buck ssd. i've had mine for a few months now and i love it. the 1TB samsung evo is estimated to handle 63 years @ 50 GiB/day, or 31.6 years @ 100 GiB/day.

Canon 5DmkIII Gripped | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | 24L f/1.4 II| 50L f/1.2 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f/2.8 | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 | 70-200L f/2.8 | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6
www.sunnyjhootyphotogr​aphy.comexternal link

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Feb 04, 2014 15:09 |  #9

Sunny_j, which adapter? apricorn or sonnet?

sunny_j
381 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia
Feb 04, 2014 15:21 |  #10

the sonnet card (raid or not) has a much higher throughput compared to the solo x2. a few months ago i was going to buy two 120GB evo ssds and raid them with the sonnet card, but decided against it. the speed gain from the sonnet package was not going to benefit me as an OS/program drive as much compared to my current owc sata2 ssd. sure programs and the initial startup would be faster but i don't think it was worth it. i am perfectly happy with a sata2 ssd in the optical bay.

mac pro specs: 2009 MacPro 2x2.26GHz 8c|64GB Ram|MVC GTX 780|5x2TB Seagate HD|OWC SSD & Bunch of PCIE cards

my 17" macbook pro has the 1tb evo.

Canon 5DmkIII Gripped | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | 24L f/1.4 II| 50L f/1.2 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f/2.8 | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 | 70-200L f/2.8 | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6
www.sunnyjhootyphotogr​aphy.comexternal link

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,881 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Feb 04, 2014 19:30 |  #11

bigcountry wrote in post #16663179external link
ok, here is my thinking.

the sonnet tempo pciE card + samsung evo 750gb or samsung pro 512...

thoughts?

Are you planning to just use the SSD as a single volume, or are you going to build a Fusion volume with a hard drive?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Feb 04, 2014 20:28 |  #12

Tony S, i honestly don't know. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to this.

My this will explain my plan, i wanted to have a big, fast SSD drive to run my OS, programs, etc. I would pull images to it, edit them and then export, and then drag to the HD....

At the end of the day, I have no idea what I am doing, I am just wanting to have something is extremely fast and efficient.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,881 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Feb 04, 2014 20:45 |  #13

I have a Fusion drive in my MP5,1; 240 gb SSD plus a 2 TB hard drive as a single volume. Haven't done any timing, but it's nice and speedy. I'm pretty sure the OS manages all the files by putting the frequently accessed and recently accessed files on the SSD component of the Fusion drive, then moves them off to the HD as needed (i.e., not accessed recently). But if you can afford a Big Ole SSD, then that would be fastest!

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 05, 2014 01:05 |  #14

Why do you need so much storage? You don't need all your RAW files on the SSD - OS, programs, caches and catalogs is plenty. Images can stay on a spinning disk with a very small performance penalty.

bigcountry wrote in post #16662342external link

Duct tape?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

dolina
Goldmember
4,795 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Feb 05, 2014 13:33 |  #15

Do not be surprised if your Mac Pro will not read/write beyond 300MB/s. All Mac Pros from 2006-2012 have SATA 3Gb/s (300MB/s) interface only.

Seagate is already selling a Desktop SSHD.

IMAGE: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/811x455/2013/07/SSHD_01-pcgh.jpg

Edit:

I only read the first post. Anywho how about going all out and go with a PCIe SSD?

Visit my Flickrexternal link, Facebookexternal link & 500pxexternal link and see my photos. :)

sponsored links

5,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac Pro (5,1) SSD Advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.