Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 06:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Canon losing the War ?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,108 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2014 14:29 |  #46

Bakewell wrote in post #16743732 (external link)
Ok. So everyone's point is? Technology is dead? Nothing left to be accomplished? Hope not!

I believe the point is that cameras, like other examples of technology, have probably reached a point of diminishing returns as far as minimum requirements. Once cameras surpassed 30Mpixels, the lens is more the limiting factor, so why buy a 50MPixel camera? Not because you 'have to' in order to increase IQ...because the lens is becoming the limiting factor.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2014 14:31 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #16743751 (external link)
I believe the point is that cameras, like other examples of technology, have probably reached a point of diminishing returns as far as minimum requirements. Once cameras surpassed 30Mpixels, the lens is more the limiting factor, so why buy a 50MPixel camera? Not because you 'have to' in order to increase IQ...because the lens is becoming the limiting factor.

You may be right. I hope not. We shall see!

Dave

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,108 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2014 14:38 |  #48

Bakewell wrote in post #16743754 (external link)
You may be right. I hope not. We shall see!

The megapixel wars distracted everyone first. Then the noisefree high ISO wars distracted everyone. Now they rely on other 'gimmicks' to distract folks,

• the number of AF points war, or
  • video resolution or
  • pivoting rear LCD
  • electronic viewfinders or mirrorless designs.

I could do without all those gimmicks, how about higher dynamic range?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2014 14:43 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #16743770 (external link)
I could do without all those gimmicks, how about higher dynamic range?!

OK, you win!

Dave

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,862 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 08, 2014 14:44 |  #50

Ok. So everyone's point is? Technology is dead? Nothing left to be accomplished? Hope not!

Not sure how you got that out of my post.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 08, 2014 18:16 |  #51

when I bough the 5D3 I had, for the first time ever, the feeling, of "wow, I might actually own this thing till it wears out". The 5D2's sensor was fine; very rarely wanted more out of it, but had a long shopping list of other things that annoyed me that canon fixed in the Mk 3. I've been upgrading DSLR every couple of years for a decade, and even been over to the dark side (Nikon) and come back again. I now feel that i'll happy watch a couple of generations go by before I buy again.

At some point there will be a game changing jump and i'll be on board with that, but it'll take real innovation, not polishing and incremental improvements on what we already have

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 08, 2014 18:25 |  #52

Exactly the opposite, actually.

If history is any judge even the most optimistic estimates will be surpassed easily.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 09, 2014 03:11 |  #53

For me I really can't imagine needing anything better than my 5DIII. It really is the first DSLR that I have no complaints about. Of course if you look at the DR of the D800 you sort of wish the 5DIII had the same capabilities, but it is not something that I dwell about too much. You can never have enough of better low light ISO capabilities, or DR of the sensor or improved AF or better movie mode features, more wifi connectivity etc.... but already things are at a level that I am very comfortable with and don't feel the need to change for a few generations.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

Ruggo
106 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 09, 2014 04:53 |  #54

The only war is the one you have with yourself.
My first dabble into digital was only last year when I bought a 5d3. This was coming from an EOS 3. At the time of my purchase, I was looking for a camera that would do what I wanted to do and the 5d3 fit the bill. Even though my previous was a Canon, the ones before that were Rolleiflex,Mamiya and Olympus, so I'm brand agnostic.
As part of my research I visited forums like this and I must admit I was flabbergasted at the amount of time people would spend trying to change other peoples minds about camera bodies, lenses etc.
And to top that off, the amount of justification seeking posts, just wow.
So I'll repeat, the only war is with yourself. If it spills into forums and magazines etc the marketing people for big companies are rubbing their hands with glee.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 09, 2014 06:51 |  #55

There is no 'war'. Not for the vast majority, just for those few people who believe that printing images 5 feet wide and examining the result with a magnifying glass (or the digital equivalent) tells you something of vital importance. Those same people who can regularly be seen sneaking off to the bathroom with a buch of DxO reports and a box of tissues.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 09, 2014 06:53 |  #56

MalVeauX wrote in post #16740722 (external link)
Heya,

Canon is behind in some areas in regards to cameras.

But this isn't the kind of hobby where during one or two generation cycles, you jump ship, due to not having the perceived latest & greatest. Turning this into a gear hobby, instead of focusing on the end result--the photograph--is what will have you pulling your hair out over costs and G.A.S.

Very best,

What he said

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 09, 2014 09:53 |  #57

Was just at Disney. At least half of the cameras I saw were Canons, Rebels all way up to a 5D3. The other half were all other makers, with Nikon in second. I think I saw one Sony DSLR and a small handful of mirrorless systems, but the vast majority of interchangeable lens cameras I saw were Rebels. Most consumers don't care a lick about dynamic range and all of that, they only care about how it feels and how the menus work and what their friends are using, and Canon is still the market share leader.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,377 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 09, 2014 11:10 |  #58

Keyan wrote in post #16745231 (external link)
Was just at Disney. At least half of the cameras I saw were Canons, Rebels all way up to a 5D3. The other half were all other makers, with Nikon in second. I think I saw one Sony DSLR and a small handful of mirrorless systems, but the vast majority of interchangeable lens cameras I saw were Rebels. Most consumers don't care a lick about dynamic range and all of that, they only care about how it feels and how the menus work and what their friends are using, and Canon is still the market share leader.

Great...so Canon is the McDonalds of cameras...cater to the herd. Great for Canon...not so much if you want more than the herd.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 09, 2014 11:13 |  #59

Hogloff wrote in post #16745372 (external link)
Great...so Canon is the McDonalds of cameras...cater to the herd. Great for Canon...not so much if you want more than the herd.

I'm pretty sure they just want money. Canon is basically Toyota. We're not exactly rockin' exotics here and never were.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,862 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 09, 2014 11:25 |  #60

Keyan wrote in post #16745231 (external link)

The problem with this type of observational statistic is that because you are already pre-disposed to Canon cameras, it's what you see first. It's sort of like buying a new car and all of a sudden you are seeing them everywhere.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

41,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is Canon losing the War ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.