Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 00:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Please Post Your Billingham Bags!

Marc_CYBW
29 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Calgary
Mar 16, 2014 18:19 as a reply to post 16761795 |  #1336

As a result of being diagnosed with ICGAS (Incurable Camera Gear Acquisition Syndrome) I bought both the Hadly Pro (for my 6D with 24-70 f 4 L IS II attached and 70-200 L IS and flash) and a ONA Brixton as my office briefcase for my iPad, business files and a FUJIFILM X20. Both fabulous bags, but the Hadly Pro fits the 6D gear better and the ONA looks more business like imho.

hmmm did someone mention a 2.8 lens? got to go........

Canon 6D | EF 50mm f1.2 L USM | EF 16-35 f4 L IS USM | EF 24-70 f4 L IS USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | Canon 60D | EF 28 - 105 | EF 70 - 300 | Tokina ATX 11 - 16 f2.0 | 3 x Speedlight 600 EX RT

sponsored links
splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007
London, UK
Mar 16, 2014 18:45 as a reply to post 16761795 |  #1337

Ona make some nice bags. My only issue for me about them is the material.

Wax canvas requires maintenance to keep its water resistance. I believe Billingham class their stormbloc material to be waterproof and requires no maintenance to keep it waterproof.

The wax canvas would be a little more weighty compared to Billinghams stormbloc (I have a couple of wax canvas jackets). Leather does better water resistance wise but more weight as well.

Resistance to water is a major consideration for me when I choose my bags. The UK is not known for being dry. I hate having to deal with rain covers.

When Ona come out with a bag using something similar to Billingham waterproof wise, I'll take a look again.

I use a Brady Westmorland for my every day carry. Now this bag I love, always keeps my stuff dry even when Im soaked.

VirtualRain
Joined Feb 2010
Vancouver, BC
Mar 17, 2014 00:20 |  #1338

splbound wrote in post #16763348external link
Ona make some nice bags. My only issue for me about them is the material.

Wax canvas requires maintenance to keep its water resistance. I believe Billingham class their stormbloc material to be waterproof and requires no maintenance to keep it waterproof.

The wax canvas would be a little more weighty compared to Billinghams stormbloc (I have a couple of wax canvas jackets). Leather does better water resistance wise but more weight as well.

Resistance to water is a major consideration for me when I choose my bags. The UK is not known for being dry. I hate having to deal with rain covers.

When Ona come out with a bag using something similar to Billingham waterproof wise, I'll take a look again.

I use a Brady Westmorland for my every day carry. Now this bag I love, always keeps my stuff dry even when Im soaked.

I hear ya... but I don't exactly live in a dry environment either (hence my alias) ;) ...and if there's one thing I've learned from living in this part of the world for many years, it's about the only totally waterproof bag is a SealLine bag. Even the Billingham's aren't totally waterproof as one member here found out.

At any rate, the water resistance of either bag is plenty good enough for me. If I get caught in a torrential down pour (as I have here, in the UK, and elsewhere) the best strategy to keep your gear dry is to duck into a pub and have a pint! :lol:

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Mar 17, 2014 04:56 |  #1339

VirtualRain wrote in post #16763924external link
I hear ya... but I don't exactly live in a dry environment either (hence my alias) ;) ...and if there's one thing I've learned from living in this part of the world for many years, it's about the only totally waterproof bag is a SealLine bag. Even the Billingham's aren't totally waterproof as one member here found out.

At any rate, the water resistance of either bag is plenty good enough for me. If I get caught in a torrential down pour (as I have here, in the UK, and elsewhere) the best strategy to keep your gear dry is to duck into a pub and have a pint! :lol:

Hahaha true i was in Brighton and London twice already this year, and the pint also helped the inspiration :-P

However, i think my Hadley Pro is great. I was out in rain more than once and for longer times too, i left it in the rain on the ground and have to say ive never seen a bag that waterproof as this. Just love it. Honestly i think the member who posted that picture of that wet bag just didnt closed it properly or so..

Also in my time in abudhabi and dubai, that bag also keeps your gear very clean from sand. I made a quad-bike tour about 5 hours in the dunes, and had my gear on my back the whole time and took some pictures while in the dunes. Not one grain of sand inside that bag!

Very happy with mine, and it looks great too :-D

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Mar 17, 2014 09:40 as a reply to davidfarina's post |  #1340

I like that the Billingham has a seamless hood cover which keeps rain from running down the strap and finding a little channel into the top of the bag or into one of the pockets.

I also have a ONA "Union Street", which is a great bag, but I don't trust the top closure to keep out the rain water.

-howard

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 20, 2014 18:48 |  #1341

I recently sold off my L2 Alice and 107. Not getting sufficient carry time. They are similar in footprint. They both I find a challenge to pack and work from, specifically as it applies to dual bodies and extra lenses.

That leaves me with the 307, Hadley Pro and Digital Hadley. The Hadley Pro is my workhorse with the 307 getting carry time more so that the Digital Hadley. For those days when the Hadley Pro's capacity is wanting or when I don't want stacking in the lens silos. So the little Digital is probably going to be the next bag to fly the coop. I'm just not one to bring a camera in a bag that suits it without carrying other personal stuff. Meanwhile, the large Hadley has my eye, not so much the Hadley Small.

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Mar 25, 2014 20:28 |  #1342

I wanted to know if anyone has been able to put a mounted 70-200 MK II in a hadley pro. That is going to be my next lens and wanted to see if it was doable

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 25, 2014 20:53 |  #1343

Hadley large for your 70-200 MKII.

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Mar 25, 2014 23:11 |  #1344

freitz wrote in post #16786363external link
I wanted to know if anyone has been able to put a mounted 70-200 MK II in a hadley pro. That is going to be my next lens and wanted to see if it was doable

Not vertically ... I believe it will fit horizontally, but that limits other bag contents. Just the capped lens itself barely fits vertically in a Hadley Pro.

As stated above, the Hadley Large for a vertically mounted camera with 70-200L.

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Mar 26, 2014 05:09 |  #1345

Yeah. I already have the pro and was thinking about picking up the 70-200 MKII. Don't feel like buying another bag as well. Thats a shame

PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Mar 26, 2014 10:34 |  #1346

Billingham Hadley Pro and Small go to Amsterdam and Paris

My wife just picked up the Hadley Small nice little bag for the EOS M with tons of room.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/13427764665_72dc133e6b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/msyN​BT] (external link)
IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/13427770055_7cd1cde19d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/msyQ​dP] (external link)

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 26, 2014 11:14 |  #1347

Nice bag color. You're all set for whatever weather comes your way. Happy shooting.

Silverstonev8
Joined Jun 2011
New Jersey
Mar 26, 2014 18:59 |  #1348

I recently picked up a 307 and found it odd that the "wands" that hold the bag opening in shape are not carbon fibre. Instead they are some kind of alloy. Does anyone have a 7 with actual carbon fibre wands or am I just missing something here?

Chris -- Gear List

Gimpinator
74 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Mar 26, 2014 21:25 |  #1349

Well, moved on from my much worn and loved 445. Just couldn't accommodate a pro setup with my gear. I think I'll downscale to something smaller for easier gear travel though. I look forward to figuring out what works best.

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Mar 30, 2014 08:51 |  #1350

We are Proud Billingham Supporters

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3812/13510267105_1ca2475a31_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mzRD​HK] (external link)

sponsored links

569,853 views & 28 likes for this thread
Please Post Your Billingham Bags!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.